Dealing with persons who identify themselves as theistic evolutionists, "TEs", (i.e., fully accept Darwinian evolution and belief in a monotheistic god) can be tricky.  They denounce creationists and ID'ers, but yet still somehow accept faith and an entire universe created by a supreme being.  Many Christians claim to be TEs, prominent among them Dr. Kenneth Miller, American microbiologist and university professor.  I reached the conclusion (as no doubt many of you would) that TE is incompatible with a belief in the god of the Judeo-Christian bible, and that TE is just a "slippery slope" to Deism, a belief commonly attributed to U.S. President Thomas Jefferson.  Below are my three contentions with TE that I sent to a TE advocate, and you can judge them for yourself.

That said, here are my complaints against theistic evolution:

1. It seems to go against historical Christianity and the many Church fathers (maybe except Augustine) that believed in a literal Genesis interpretation.  How could so many believers have been wrong for 1800 years until evolutionary theory came around?  Weren't these literal interpretations cherished by scripture-loving Christians back in those days?  How come all of a sudden they are not to be taken literally?  Aren't we changing our beliefs to fit into a scientific worldview?  All the Apostles most certainly would have believed in a 6-day creation, not to mention all the Jews of the time.

2. As Carl Sagan has said, "God seems to be on the retreat".  There were a lot of gaps he filled in the natural world during ancient times and the middle ages, that he no longer fills thanks to evolution and science.  There was no thing as psychology or psychiatry in those days; it was demons who caused mental illness, not DNA and society.  How can you still believe in angels and demons (an unquestionable biblical belief) and modern science?  What role do spirits play now, that all those gaps have been filled in our understanding?  And realize that any reinterpretation you have of the role of spirits today, would seem ridiculous and weak to ancient believers, who thought that spirits controlled every aspect of matter.  Conclusion: Theistic evolution is closer to Deism than it is to ancient Judaism and early Christianity.

3. The slippery slope-- Admitting that past Christians had very wrong interpretations of scripture.  Past Jews and Christians believed that Aaron literally stopped the sun in the sky, a miracle of God.  Now we know that geocentrism is false and that the earth revolves around the sun.  How far do we go with science...? In fact, we have gone all the way.  Plenty of Christians today no longer believe in a literal resurrection, some may not even believe Jesus existed.  How can we say that science has not caused this lack of faith?

Indeed, the onward march of science has caused the lack of faith, and has necessitated the re-branding of faith as "theistic evolution."