Hello everybody,

My name is Lars and I’m a student at the University of Darmstadt in Germany. I’m currently preparing myself for my forthcoming Master thesis with the potential working title “Popular Science in Social Media”. Popular science in social media stands in contrast to traditional mass media like TV, Radio or Newspapers. The central element I want to discuss, is this phenomenon I want to call “user generated popular science”. I guess the best example I could give you is the Facebook-Page: “I fucking love science”.. 

My problem is, I have to propose an assumption (a hypothesis) which I then have to analyze during my Master thesis. An assumption like: The use of popular science content in social media increases the scientific literacy in STEM-Students. I have already done a lot of research on this topic, but I can’t find any connection between Pop-Science 2.0 and STEM-Scientific Literacy or even Internet and STEM-Scientific Literacy.

Now, my question to you: Do you see any other potential research subject in this topic?

Kind Regards

Lars