By now I'm sure almost everyone has heard about the three women in Ohio who were missing for about ten years and then found alive in the house of a guy named Ariel Castro. Details of the case are still emerging, but what's already known is that the women were sometimes bound with chains and rope and that they were also raped.

Castro did an excellent job of covering his tracks and living a double life. Not only did he go about his daily, mundane business as a schoolbus driver (until he was fired), but he also assisted in the search for the victims and participated in a candlelight vigel for them, who many presumed dead. 

It is tempting to say, "Well, this guy was really good at blending in and covering his tracks. He was living a double life. He had everybody fooled." Fair enough. But the more I hear stories like this, the more I wonder if not only are these criminals fooling others but if they are also fooling themselves. Are they really consciously creating a double life and thinking about how nobody will ever figure them out? Or are they compartmentalizing? To use a metaphor, are they the split brain patients we hear about who are atheists in one hemisphere and devoutly religious in another? Is Castro someone who knew that he kidnapped this women but also someone who didn't think of himself as the kidnapper and honestly and sincerely thought he was helping in the invetigation instead of covering his tracks, leading a double life, and blending in? I know this sounds a little far-fetched, but people are remarkably good at compartmentalizing. 

What does everyone else think? Let's discuss.

Julie