I have just finished Dawkin's God Delusion, and I must say that for the most part, it is rather convincing.

Just to set the context of my question, I am not an atheist and I describe myself now as a freethinker though I might be considered a reformed non-believer to be more exact.

Anyway, I find a point he has in his concluding chapter rather disturbing and almost running contrary to the rest of his book. He says: "At the end of a famous essay on 'Possible Worlds', the great biologist J. B. S. Haldane wrote, 'Now, my own suspicion is that the universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose . . . I suspect that there are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamed of, or can be dreamed of, in any philosophy.' "

I suppose he is using the quote from Haldane and Hamlet to explain how the oddness of the universe might not require god as an explanation, but in so doing, he also introduces the idea that, precisely because there is more than we have so far understood, and could possibly understand, surely the implication also is that the scientific worldview can be considered to be just one of the philosophies which cannot "dream" of the possibility that there is a god or superior being?

How can this be answered effectively from the point of view of an atheist? Looking forward to your suggestions, thanks.