Last Sunday's service was quite interesting. Our pastor spoke mainly about science and how our faith in God is constantly being tested, so I could not resist writing this little piece. We all know that science aims at finding the most likely explanation (without finding the truth) of how things work in the Universe, simply put. I must acknowledge the fact that science has helped us in many ways, but it has also brought some of the worst to humanity (thermonuclear weapons are proof enough). The search for answers throughout the past centuries has exponentially led to even more questions, and it seems to never end (and I doubt it ever will).

Now, this arduous search for the truth has brought many scientific theories, most of which are extremely complicated and are understood mainly by those working in an exact field of research. My nephew, a molecular biologist with a Ph.D., could pull out at least fifty books from his laboratory, each one explaining a different metabolic pathway (and this is not an exaggeration). Each new scientific experiment brings a new molecule in the spotlight, or a new genetic mutation that causes a particular disruption, or a certain metabolic pathway responsible for hundreds of chemical responses, etc. Basically, all I am trying to say is that the scientific search for the truth is not really answering much. It is only causing us to ask more and more questions and it continuously discovers things that do not offer a solution to the truth, it merely complicates matters even more.

So, this brings me to the title of my article, Occam’s razor. For those who do not know, Occam’s razor is a principle of parsimony, in which the hypothesis with the fewest assumptions should be selected. This literally means that the simplest explanation is the correct one. For those who doubt, this principle is widely used as guidance for scientists who are building a theory or a theoretical model because it proves to be legitimate. Now let us look at how science explains life on Earth versus God and the Book of Genesis.

According to science, it is all about time and chance. Trillions upon trillions of chemical reactions take place in our body in a lifetime. Out of all these, there is an order that emerges in order to permit us to convert the energy around us. The current hypotheses state that, over billions of years, hit-and-miss reactions took place in a chemical soup in the Earth’s prehistoric atmosphere. It took extremely precise conditions and a certain “spark of life” in order for these simple chemical reactions to become, over time, extremely complex metabolic pathways coexisting in almost perfect harmony in a cell (not to mention the complexity of a single living cell). After the single cell was “born”, it took millions of years for a certain order to become of it, and tissues, organs and organisms were gradually more and more existent. We cannot forget the pressures the environment exerted on these evolving organisms, always guiding them in a certain direction. Of course, I can go on and on and on about how life happened according to science, but I think my point is made.

According to the Book of Genesis, God created the world in six days (the seventh day he rested) and appoints man as his regent. That’s it.

So, if we apply the Occam’s razor principle (and I stress the fact that scientists practice this principle to base their theories or build their theoretical models), God is the one who created the world, plain and simple. You may bluntly criticize and reject what I wrote, but you will only be criticizing a principle, not the truth.

In conclusion, my advice is to live with faith in God, as believers live a much happier and fulfilled life. I invite you to read this recent and very interesting article that shines a light on the healthier lives of those who believe in God.

Here's the link: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/seanthomas/100231060/are-atheists-mentally-ill/?fb