Earlier this year, the video blogger, Potholer54, put up this video dedicated to one of the 'tubes biggest pushers of lies for Jesus, the Banana Man, Ray Comfort:

Ray has practiced and practiced his "street ambush" rumble of risible rhetoric, and edited such into a new campaign video that he wants to distribute, much as he did his "new intro" to Darwin's master work. Ray's new video shows the same kind of lying for Jesus that Potholer exposed above, and that we discussed in great length re the movie "Expelled" on the venerable "Lying for Jesus" thread five years ago.

I am not going to go through the new video and point out all the tricks and fallacies, but just want to relate some of my own experiences with missionaries who have tried some of them on me.

1) "Do you believe in Evolution?"

I answer this one. "I don't have to believe in it, I can check it." Usual reaction: deer caught in headlights. It leads to a discussion of what is meant by "believe," which is a little piece of epistemology (quite a lot, actually) that is swept under the rug in religion, because you are supposed to already know what it means.

2) "But you have faith in science!"

My reply is, "I have reasonable expectations based on prior evidence." That is not as stupefying as the above, but I can't help counting the seconds it takes to sink in as a quick measure of my interlocutor. Once again, it can lead to a broad discussion of what is and is not "faith."

3) "But you have not seen Evolution happen!"

"And you have neither seen Jesus die on a cross, not rise from the dead." As you can guess, this leads to talking over the reliability of Bible passages v. looking at fossils in rocks and DNA in cells. Objective observation of factual evidence wins over legends in mythology (the theology of the past) every time.

4) "But there are no transitional fossils!"

Tiktaalik, so STFU.

And last, but oh so sweet:

5) "Do you think you are a good person?"

My answer: "No." After the typical looks of confusion, begins the discussion of why knowing that one is "good" would assume an objective measure of goodness, that has not been established.

The Banana Man will keep doing his tricks, but we can each be ready to avoid being used by him to push his dishonesty.