Do we choose our beliefs?

Nov 15, 2012

Discussion by: Julieana
Hey Everyone,

After just commenting on the ‘Religion as Child Abuse’ thread by Fredski, I wondered what your opinions were on how much control we have over choosing our own beliefs.  Obviously we’re all products of our culture and upbringing, but I wonder what it is that makes some people have an ‘Ah ha!’ moment to change their belief.

I was raised with no religion, other than at school, so I didn’t really have a moment of realisation with religion, but I did start to dabble a bit with mystical energy in my younger days.  I soon dropped it though, when I realised it wasn’t scientifically proven.

What do you guys think?

68 comments on “Do we choose our beliefs?

• I always thought iteratively if that makes sense. I was never an enlightened thinker , never could envisage a solution without permutations of failure. I was always good at sciences , where I couldnt understand it I still thought it had a lyrical quality. As it turned out I went into a career mathamatically related , but I admit to myself that I am not very gifted because I have to go through countless iterations of failure before I come up with a solution. Its unusual that this does not bother me but it doesn’t. So I work like a poor AI program , through a process of elimination really. So that whats brought me to where I am, basically eliminating what works from what doesn’t , banking and reusing what does , discarding and learning from what doesn’t, and then continuing again, using the most primative of algorthms for problem solving. In terms of formulation of belief systems iterative thinking has brought me here.

• 2
    This Is Not A Meme says:

One should aspire to believe what is true. One does not choose truth, but rather discovers it.

I discover what I believe and have learned to appreciate the painful, nauseating, liberation of finding out everything I believe is false. If one is truly curious, one should be ready to feel the embarrassment or even angst that often accompanies discovery. Darwin is a hero in these terms. Beholden to evidence, he let go of belief in the Christian god. My understanding is this was very painful for him.

What people have a choice in is valuing themselves, thus valuing truth. One has a choice to have integrity. If one chooses integrity, all else follows.

For instance, I don’t go for conspiracy theories and leave myself beholden to evidence. As a result, I tend to be in good company. Contrary to my feelings and baseless assumptions, I see overwhelming evidence of rigged elections in the US. There is no independent verification of claims supporting US elections as legit. As a rationalist I am left with the conclusion that US elections are rigged. Espousing this view is met with emotional irrationality, and the good company I keep loses respect for me. There is a lot of peer pressure to believe other than I do, or at least remain silent about it. If I could choose what I believe, I would believe in the validity of US elections, but killing my rational faculty hurts too much.

• I think there are two different questions:

2) As we continue to better understand the things related to question 1 will that mean that we will need to stop talking and acting as if humans are responsible for their actions?

I think the answer to 1 is quite likely yes and the answer to 2 is quite likely no. For example, we already know that the actual decision for many actions comes before our conscious awareness of that decision. Sam Harris makes a big deal about this but to me its fairly interesting but not all that surprising nor does it require that we stop talking about people being responsible for their actions.

To me this is just an example of something in science that happens all the time. When we develop a model to talk about one domain we use one set of terminology and when we look at  the same data from a different point of view we use a different model. The most obvious example is in physics where we use the quantum model for things that happen at a very small level and relativity for things beyond the very small level.

So in the same way if I’m analyzing why someone commits a crime, from the standpoint of anthropology I might reason about factors like the criminals age, sex, status, etc. things that Steven Pinker talked about in one of his recent books on human violence. From the standpoint of a neuropsychologist I might reason about what is going on in their brain, for example if they have a brain tumor that may make them much more prone to violent and unpredictable actions. And finally from the standpoint of a prosecutor or just a citizen making a value judgement I reason about what the criminal’s motives were for committing the crime.

Just as in science there will be overlaps where one model helps us refine our understanding of another. The example of a brain tumor is a good one, it can explain why someone who was a perfectly law abiding citizen suddenly becomes a criminal and possibly lessen their responsibility. But the basic notions of things like responsibility won’t go away, it will just get more sophisticated.

• 5
    Neodarwinian says:

” Obviously we’re all products of our culture and upbringing, “

And our evolutionary heritage. So, many of our beliefs are so called folk beliefs, folk physics, biology and the like, which shape our proximate view of the world. Essentialism is one such belief that has religious implications; kinds and that sort of nonsense.  So,l some of our proto-beliefs are innate and it is not so obvious that we are products of culture and upbringing.

• In my first comment I went on a bit of a tangent about free will but I didn’t really answer the question you asked. So do I think that we choose our beliefs or are our beliefs a product of our culture, upbringing, etc.??  Yes and Yes.

Yes, our current beliefs are a result of our previous beliefs plus culture, biology, etc. And as we understand psychology better from the perspective of an impartial observer it might be possible to analyze Joe and say he believes X for the following reasons… Does that mean Joe should just bow down to cognitive science and realize he has no free will? Should Joe stop reading about current events and stop talking to his friends for example since he doesn’t really choose his beliefs? No of course not. Because for one thing if he DID do those things any half way decent theory about human behavior would entail that making such a decision will have a significant impact on his beliefs.

This is an example of what I was talking about in my first comment. From the standpoint of neuropsychology we talk about accepting a belief in terms of states of neurons in Joe’s brain. From the standpoint of an anthropologist we talk about the various groups he belongs to, their core beliefs, cognitive dissonance between competing beliefs, etc. They are all equally valid depending on the kind of problem and the point of view you are trying to understand.

• I don’t understand how existentialism can be called part of folk physics and biology. Unless you mean something different than the way I understand those terms. So by folk physics and biology I take that to mean what AI people call common sense reasoning. Basic notions about how the world works such as that objects have permanence, they don’t cease to exist when we aren’t looking at them. There is strong evidence that such basic concepts are hardwired into the brain and we can look at research by people like Piaget to see how those concepts develop pretty uniformly in children from all cultures.

Existentialism is not something I would include in that category at all. Its a philosophy that meant very different things to philosophers who get lumped together. For example Kierkegaard, Sartre, and Nietzsche are usually considered existentialists but have very different ideas. I wouldn’t even attempt to start summarizing what Sarte believed but I sure wouldn’t say it was common sense or folk reasoning.

• 8
    Functional Atheist says:

My anecdotal experience is that the interesting people tend to have (kinda) chosen their beliefs, while the less interesting people tend to believe what their parents believe.  I say “kinda” parenthetically because I acknowledge that “interesting people” is a subjective characterization, and “chosen their beliefs” is a subjective determination of something that’s inherently fuzzy (what the heck is the difference between a belief and an opinion, and a vastly open mind is sometimes a chasm into which all sorts of nonsense has been poured and taken root).

I know the the neurological evidence is leaning more towards free will being an illusion, but my bias (and it is a bias) is to believe that adults are usually responsible for their actions, and beliefs underlie many of life’s most significant actions.  Who do I vote for, where do I live, what do I do for a living, what do I read, how do I spend my free time–all of these big decisions are really actions that masquerade as beliefs.

Ultimate causation is a feedback loop–I’m not sure, REALLY, why I do many of the things that I do, and believe the things that I believe.  I have guesses and conjectures, and have read some plausible theories, but I don’t really know.

At base, we adults do what we do, and we reap the consequences of those actions, and the big “BUT WHY?????” questions are interesting to undergraduates (and become less so to older people)  because the “answer” is usually so complicated and open to interpretation that I have my doubts that they are really answers at all.

• 9
    Julieana says:

Thanks so much for all these really helpful and interesting answers.  I’ve been lurking around this website for a while, and you guys have a great community here. :o)

The whole free will issue is fascinating.  I suppose there are thousands of processes happening all the time outside of the scope of our conscious awareness (in our brain), and then, when the processes click into place, we feel like we’ve made the decision consciously.  I recall reading about an experiment on people with split brain hemispheres, where one hemisphere was given a cue which wouldn’t have been registered in the conscious awareness of the person, but when they acted on the cue, they made up a reason for it anyway.  I suppose we like to think we’ve got control over our decisions, even if it’s all just an illusion.

In the thread that Fredski started – which inspired me to ask this question – I spoke of my Buddhist meditation teacher, who is a Western guy and educated.  He’s exposed himself to Hitchens and Dawkins, and is a science fan.  But he sincerely believes in karma and re-incarnation.  This is so interesting to me, because it looks like he’s actively studied the evidence, yet he still rejects it, and I wonder why that could be. (Not expecting you to know the answer, obviously, you don’t know him personally!)  I always think that education and exposure to evidence is the key, but in this case, maybe not.  But then again, maybe the schools need to teach critical thinking from an early age.

As humans, we’re very into feelings as well as thinking.  I wonder how much our feelings influence what we ultimately ‘decide’ to believe.  I think Sam Harris touched on this issue in the Moral Landscape.

Thanks for the conversation :o)

• 10
    Alan4discussion says:

There are many aspects of our “beliefs” and thinking processes, which  are chosen for us by our parents, families and communities.

In the most extreme forms heretics are killed or ostracised to pressurise them into conformity.

Infants are not at a level of maturity to develop “critical thinking”, but are initially copying role models and then building up concepts of  “concrete operations”. (See footnote 1)

This is the point at which indoctrinators try to disable the development towards critical rationality, by the use of social pressure, bullying and fear.

The retarded, theistic, childlike adult brain, feels very threatened by the teenage brain moving towards adult rational thinking, so becomes assertive, repressive and aggressive. (see foot note 2)

Initially however we start with role-models, (with unfortunates lacking those with a rational scientific approach to life).
    These give us the thinking processes which will either give us a good start towards rationality,  – or inhibit our development as the copied  failed systems, did for the indoctrinated role models before us.

Some people never mature to the level of  “formal” mental operations.  Others are held back by social pressures and do so later in life.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

– 1. In Piaget’s stages of cognitive development, the concrete operational stage is a period between ages seven and eleven during which children gain a better understanding of mental operations. Children begin thinking logically about concrete events, but have difficulty understanding abstract or hypothetical concepts. – http://psychology.about.com/od

– 2. The formal operational stage begins at approximately age twelve to and lasts into adulthood. During this time, people develop the ability to think about abstract concepts. Skills such as logical thought, deductive reasoning, and systematic planning also emerge during this stage. – http://psychology.about.com/od

• 11
    canndyman says:

In answer to your original question Julieana, I was baptised and raised as a catholic, attending a catholic school and weekly church services from a very young age. This environment made it very difficult for a child to question that the validity of christianity – at that age, more than ever, we always believe that what our parents, teachers and most of all, those men in frocks (who stand on a podium in front of a hypnotized audience holding ritualistic ceremonies in impressive gothic buildings) tell us.
    But I always knew something wasn’t quite right – it never rang true for me. When the time came for me to be confirmed into the catholic church (having already been baptised into it as a baby without my permission!) I declined the offer. This was met with dismay and disbelief from my mother, for daring to go against ‘my’ religion, but I stood firm.
    As the years went by and I started to form my own opinions and question the world around me, I knew I’d made the right decision. By the time I was in my 20s, and my own son was born, I refused to have him ‘baptised’ into the catholic church, or any other dangerous cult. I made it my intention that he would grow up (unlike me) being able to question everything, and be encouraged to form his own opinions about the world around him, whilst still being encouraged to be a decent and loving human being who has respect for others and their beliefs.Unsurprsingly, as he approaches his 18th birthday now, he is a committed atheist – and I’m very proud of him! 🙂

• 12
    Simon Tuffen says:

I think that some people are just naturally a lot more curious than others, and like to step back and take an objective view of the world and how we all live and behave. To a certain extent we are all “wrapped up” in the conventions of our societies and daily routines, and many people never stop to analyse why they live and behave the way they do. I think that’s why so many comedians are atheists: they are naturally inclined to look behind the scenes of life, to analyse the taboos and absurdities in a culture.

I think many people are naturally too insecure to objectively consider their place in the universe. Most people are far more interested to know how a small stain appeared on their jacket than how they came into existence themselves. Objectively that is an outrageous waste of intellect. You can have a 5 minute conversation with someone on how to get a stain out of their clothes. Try explaining to someone about their evolutionary history and they are likely to break eye contact instantly. A clear indication that they don’t want to wander away from routine small-talk.

So to a large extent I think people’s beliefs are determined by their nature and level of security. This can obviously be affected considerably by the type of society they live in. One which strongly enforces taboos is going to ensure all but the least insecure individuals are going to follow the mainstream beliefs of their society.

• 13
    Mr DArcy says:

It depends what Julieana means by “beliefs”. Obviously a child brought up in strongly religious background is much less likely to have any “choice” about their religious ideas than a child brought up without such background. That’s why the religios are so desperate to do their brainwashing before the child can think for itself. But my “belief” that the 41 bus will run every 7 minutes or so is based in reality. No  I can’t prove it but based on experience, it appears to approximate truth.  These are the kind of beliefs which you can accept as long as you chose to adopt an evidence based approach.

Belief in a three pronged God sitting besides itself in heaven is the kind of stuff that has to be pumped in early to be believable. If I may paraphrase Richard Feynman:

“Anyone who says they understand The Trinity, does not understand The Trinity”!

• 14
    Julieana says:

Canndyman – But I wonder what it was that had you start to question it, when the people around you believed it to be the truth.

Jumped Up Chimpanzee – I like the example you give: “Most people are far more interested to know how a small stain appeared on their jacket than how they came into existence themselves.”

I guess we’re programmed to be preoccupied with the survival stuff.  That stain on the shirt might’ve been a potential threat, and we need to protect ourselves so we attend to that immediately.  Only when we are safe can we contemplate the ‘bigger’ questions.

Religion does give a very quick and satisfying answer; an answer that even non-scientists can grasp, without the need to watch Brian Cox explaining it over and over again (as wth me!)  So maybe the answers religions give leave people free to get on with living their lives.  And so they develop a belief based on not having to do any further enquiring.

I think you’re right (and again I have no evidence here, just exerience!)  I do seem to think deeply about things, and I question things, in ways that my peers perhaps don’t.  There have been times when I’ve wished that I could believe in god/gods/mystical energy, and that I could become interested in Heat magazine – but I just can’t! ;o)

• 15
    Julieana says:

Mr DArcy – That’s a very good point.  We all have ‘faith’ that certain things will happen throughout the day, otherwise we might not bother to get out of bed in the morning!  For example, I believe there will be food in the shops when I want to buy it, and that my place of work will still be here when I come back next week.
    So, I would say I was talking about beliefs that seem unplausible to the laws of physics, such as the existence of a place where souls go after they die – or indeed the existence of souls!

When faced with the evidence, people still ‘choose’ to believe in the irrational stuff.  And I wonder why.

• 16
    Alan4discussion says:

Julieana
    Mr DArcy – That’s a very good point.

In the interests of avoiding ambiguity, I would describe these predictions based on past objective observations,  as “confidence”, not “faith”.

“Faith” is a belief  –  unearned and demanded without evidence.

Confidence in objective observation and evidence from using scientific methods, is quite different.
    It is a view which has earned confidence from past experience and observations.

The confidence can also be up-dated in the light of new evidence –
    eg some New Yorkers recently discovered that the electrical supply they assumed they could take for granted, had been stopped by a storm.

• 17
    Simon Tuffen says:

Don’t worry any longer, Julieana – you’ve found your people! 🙂

• 18
    Julieana says:

Yes, good point. Thanks for suggesting the alternative word ‘confidence’.

Do you have a good alternative word for ‘spirituality’?  I’m really into meditation and the techiques of keeping a peaceful mind, which I guess would normally be called ‘spiritual’, but I’m not a believer in the supernatural in any way.  Any suggestions would be gratefully recieved! :o)

• 20
    bad john says:

I was baptised Catholic, dragged to church for most of my childhood, sent to a Catholic primary school (up to 11), acquiesced to rituals such as wearing a frilly dress (altar boy), first holy communion, etc.  So, many would have regarded me as a Catholic.  However, as far back as I can remember, I thought that it was all nonsense and didn’t believe it.  I was an atheist long before I learnt the word.

I remember being told by the nun teacher when I was about 7: “God put the animals here for our use”.  Of course, I had not heard of evolution yet but it was still obvious to me that we were animals and whatever made us made them.  I couldn’t believe that the other animals were here just for our use.  This set me on the road to becoming the atheist vegetarian that I am now.

So, for me anyway, religion was not particularly abusive just irritating nonsense.  Of course, I am not saying that other children are not abused by it; just that I was lucky to escape it easily myself.

• 21
    canndyman says:

Julieana – That’s a very good question! I guess, as with you, I have always questioned things and been a deep thinker. For me as well, I have always had an uncanny habit of ‘not following the crowd’, and having my own mind – almost revelling in it as a child.
    So it was quite easy for me from that standpoint to find the logical fallacies that religion throws up – I had a very strong sense (at an early age) of being someone who was on the outside looking in.
    I remember as a child thinking ‘why do only people who know about god (and believe in ‘him’) go to heaven?’
    What about people living in tribes in undeveloped countries – are they ‘evil’ and ‘satan’s disciples’, just because no one’s told them about god?! It just didn’t make any sense – or seem to be very fair.
    My mother couldn’t (funnily enough) answer my questions about life and the universe to my satisfaction too (poor old mum – I wasn’t asking asking much of her there! 😉
    In her opinion, god (and the universe) didn’t have a start, and would never have an end… well, that simply made no sense to me at all. And she told me that we woudn’t understand all this… until we died!
    And I remember at our church, a family turning up each Sunday in a Rolls Royce… I used to think about the poor, starving people I’d been told about in third world countries – how could someone believe in ‘god’ and live a life of luxury in complete ignorance of them? It seemed to go against what I’d been told ‘Jesus’ had taught – what were these people’s motives for attending church?
    And why did people at my church seem no different to other people who weren’t religious? Did only ‘good’ people go to church and believe in god? Again, it all seemed based on a lie and sounded crazy to me – I could see that it just couldn’t possibly be true. Why did no one question any of this?
    (Oh yeah – and I couldn’t bear going to church either – for me, it was the most boring and pointless hour of my week).
    And, at the age of 7, when my non-religious father suddenly died, I was told he’d gone somewhere called ‘purgatory’ – a sort of cosmic waiting room for people not good enough to go to heaven… right.
    I later decided the church was ‘evil’ – and told me mum that’s what I thought!
    So, from there, I had a good basis as I grew older to distance myself from the church and the illogical beliefs of my mother and what I’d been told in school about ‘my’ religion.
    To her credit, many, many years later, my mother began to see the light (as it were) and started to see things the way I’d been seeing them all along… although it was a very long journey to get there.
    I’m just so pleased to have ‘bucked the trend’ then, and not been a victim of the usual childhood indoctrination. I can clearly understand that religion is a very strong concept for someone to suddenly drop overnight – I can see why people cling to the ‘hope’ it gives them, especially the hope of an eternal life (well, us humans are SO important, aren’t we!)
    Why is this child abuse allowed to continue? It’s crazy.
    I’m just so grateful to be alive right here, and right now – the greatest gift and privilege I could ever have, until, one day, when I eventually get reincarnated…. as stardust 🙂

• 22
    Alan4discussion says:

Julieana

Do you have a good alternative word for’spirituality’?  I’m really into meditation and the techiques of keeping a peaceful mind, which I guess would normally be called ‘spiritual’, but I’m not a believer in the supernatural in any way.  Any suggestions would be gratefully recieved!

I’m not sure there are any other words, but there are other scientific explanations.

No ‘God Spot’ In Brain, Spirituality Linked To Right Parietal Lobe – http://www.huffingtonpost.com/… –

Now, University of Missouri researchers have completed research that indicates spirituality is a complex phenomenon, and multiple areas of the brain are responsible for the many aspects of spiritual experiences.

“We have found a neuropsychological basis for spirituality, but it’s not isolated to one specific area of the brain,” said Brick Johnstone, professor of health psychology in the School of Health Professions.
    “Spirituality is a much more dynamic concept that uses many parts of the brain. Certain parts of the brain play more predominant roles, but they all work together to facilitate individuals’ spiritual experiences.”

Neuroscientists are working on these electrical impulses and biochemical reactions.
    Like good diagnostic engineers, they are looking at the effects caused by certain areas of the brain being disabled, to identify what these areas do, and how they keep in balance with other areas.

Although it is well established that all behaviors and experiences, spiritual or otherwise, must originate in the brain, true empirical exploration of the neural underpinnings of spirituality has been challenging. However, recent advances in neuroscience have started to make the complex mental processes associated with religion and spirituality more accessible.

“Neuroimaging studies have linked activity within a large network in the brain that connects the frontal, parietal, and temporal cortexes with spiritual experiences, but information on the causative link between such a network and spirituality is lacking,” explains lead study author, Dr. Cosimo Urgesi from the University of Udine in Italy.

You may find these links interesting.

• 23
    Mr DArcy says:

Julieana:

Do you have a good alternative word for ‘spirituality’?

Yes the religios and the new agers have tended to hijack “spiritual”, “transcendant”, “numinous” and the like, but only because they have nothing else to put there. They have to use words, necessarily vague, which imply mystery and unknown higher powers.

Personally, I’m happy with “spiritual”,  usually a feeling of intense pleasure, and in no way connected with turning off the alarm clock at 6.30 on Monday mornings!

But I will also go with “sublime”.  As the  Captain of the Vital Spark, Para Handy, would say about the playing of the bagpipes: “Chust sublime”!

• 25
    CdnMacAtheist says:

Hi Red, “1) Is it possible that as we understand more about psychology, especially neuropsychology, will we have to radically redefine our concept of free will? 2) As we continue to better understand the things related to Q1 will that mean that we will need to stop talking & acting as if humans are responsible for their actions?”

The standard Free Will view seems to be that ‘I’ am the orchestra conductor, ahead of the action. My concept of Free Will is that my subconscious brain is controlling all the sensing, experiencing, sorting, recalling, blending, body functions, coordinating, filing – resulting in an action plan based on agreement by all its departments – then initiating all actions & thoughts, while informing my conscious brain what I am starting to do or think. ‘I’ become aware of decisions made & actions taken by my processor – with a slight delay – while also receiving incoming sensations ‘live’.

The unconscious processing is deterministic, but my brain’s departments are being continually updated so my decisions are influenced by old, recent & ‘live’ revisions to my concepts – and ‘I’ don’t direct them, ‘I’ just become aware of them.

I think ‘I’ am responsible for my actions since ‘I’ am a function of my brain – but I didn’t have complete choice in how I got to be me. By influencing my subconscious with education, rational thinking & inputs, I have improved my library & departmental decision-making.

Re OP: Do we choose our beliefs: I’m fortunate to have been a non-theist since birth, so I can only comment on what a secular non-theist upbringing can do, after having 62 years experience of what theists are & do all around me. I’m glad I’m an atheist, and can’t imagine what being a theist or living religiously is like – although much reading & places like RDFRS really help me with my evolving theory on what’s happening out there.

I applaud all folk who throw off the blinkers & baggage, who are able to get real, and care enough to help other humans become faith-free.

• 26
    NoKiddingMan says:

“Do we choose our beliefs?” you ask…

Childhood indoctrination diminishes our ability to understand our world at least for a long time.  The question is what may trigger our curiosity and give us the courage we need to ask questions.  Indoctrination may not allow some of us to ask any meaningful question for life.  Some others need years to get to the point of courageously raising doubts about their religious education and religion(s).

I started having doubts in my teen years.  This happened in part through day to day experiences, and in part through interaction with a couple of people who strongly doubted the existence of God for a short time.  I also heard about B. Russel.  I am talking about being a Muslim teenager in an Islamic country.  A place where apostasy is punished by death.

Unfortunately, I do not know many atheists who were born in Islamic countries.  Most of them are former Christian or Jewish fellows (at least those I have known in the West).  However,  it is likely that the number of atheists/agnostics will increase dramatically among more educated people  in some of the Islamic countries  in decades ahead as a result of the religious filth that governs those nations.

I cannot describe how happy and proud I am to be myself: An atheist who loves science and humanism.

• 27
    martin1935 says:

I’m surprised that no one makes a genetic predisposition argument or statement to atheist as being genetic related.  This is the Dawkins, Darwin evolution and natural selection site isn’t it?   Selfish gene and all that.
    I was born to educated parents who understood the world as know to them at their time.  My mother was theist and a school teacher, my father was agnostic and a farmer.  By about 8 years old I had learned there was no Santa and my Sunday school teacher did not know much about physics or biology or life in general.  I was predisposed not to become superstitious and was ashamed my aunt (father’s sister) believed in and studied astrology!  She was a family embarrassment.
    So, I was raised to ask questions and learn scientific facts and that worked fine for me.  Church was for Sunday and social stuff, but not for learning.  And that was pretty much the way it was for my brouther and sister also.

CdnMacAtheist outlined the how the human mind works the way I understand it to work.   ‘I’ am the orchestra conductor not!

• 28
    Jabarkis says:

This is a fascinating question. My own atheism (or extreme agnosticism, if that’s possible) came about almost intuitively. I was never raised to believe in a god, and didn’t, I don’t think. I just one day felt an absolute certainty that there was no divine will, no life beyond this one. At the time (I must have been 12 or 13, I suppose), that was actually a very frightening thing. My sense of terror at my own fragility in the face of inevitable death was unshakeable for a long time. Pretty sad, huh? I’ve only felt a similar level of what I might call “metaphysical certainty” about something quite the opposite of death, but that’s not relevant here.

I see arguments of philosophical or scientific kinds against the existence of any god as tools with which to justify and affirm my instinct, rather than as reasons to hold onto that instinct.

The question fascinates me particularly because I’m interested (and I won’t derail the thread with this) in why we tend to frown on discrimination against people for things they don’t choose (gender, ethnicity, sexual preference, disability) but also for things like “belief”, suggesting either that belief is not a matter of choice (in my own case, lack of belief is not a choice, and being forced to profess a belief would be a tyranny), or that we’re just being polite about people’s pet eccentricities.

I guess an extra question might be: at what level do people choose their beliefs? Do people who follow a particular religion, down to the nitty-gritty, have an instinctive, almost sexual-preference level CERTAINTY about all that detail, or are they just letting a generalised “god exists” instinct run away with them?

• 29
    Red Dog says:

LOL.  That’s happened to me a few times as well, yes essentialism makes a lot more sense and I agree it is quite likely something we inherit along with folk biology, etc. and its probably one of the reasons people are still so inclined to believe in religions.

• 30
    jamesmcgine says:

Very little control, I suspect. Free thinkers are rare and even they get tired from time to time and have to settle on something overnight.

• “Reality is what we take to be true. What we take to be true is what we believe. What we believe is based upon our perceptions. What we perceive depends on what we look for. What we look for depends on what we think. What we think depends on what we perceive. What we perceive determines what we believe. What we believe determines what we take to be true. What we take to be true is our reality.” -David Bohm

• 32
    DocWebster says:

I don’t “believe” things. I accept that certain theories are currently the best explanations for the way reality works, at this time.  I always catch god-botherers  with that one because they insist that once you use the word belief,  you’re asserting a religion of some form.

• 33
    Josh Badgley says:

Any religious beliefs or indocrtination I ever had just sort of collapsed gradually until by the time I was sixteen years old I remember facing mortality for the first time.  I mean really sitting down and realizing that life is finite, and with death we cease to exist. That nobody is really in control of the universe. It was a scary thought, but as time went on it made more sense. That was twelve years ago, and since then I’ve never been able to honestly go back .  I guess I wasn’t brainwashed enough, I mean I do recall believing in an afterlife and God when I was much younger but I can’t really recall any catalyst that made everything suddenly change.  It just sort of withered away.  I guess when superstition isn’t enforced, it evaporates in the light of reality.  If you don’t water the plant with more ignorance, it just sort of dries up and dies.

And then you have to start living for real.

• 34
    OHooligan says:

On the mention of “free will” (it crops up from time to time), may I remind anyone who’s interested in this:

In brief, the theorem links the free will of a human experimenter to the free will (or free “whim”) of elementary particles.   Approximately, if we have free will, so do those itsy bitsy things.   Sounds fair enough to me.   But what I really like about Conway’s work is that he’s taken hold of something usually in the realm of the woo-ologists and applied some decent mathematical tools to it.

• 35
    OHooligan says:

As an Escaped Catholic, I recall much the same as Bad John.  I teach my kids that all animals are our relations, but we still eat some of them, because that’s the kind of animal we are.    I can be an atheist and still eat meat, even if I’ve given up the whole pretend-blood-drinking thing.

• 36
    The Jersey Devil says:

…how much control we have over choosing our own beliefs.

I don’t have the book in front of me, but in Sam Harris’ Free Will the first footnote of the first chapter says (this is a paraphrase); We now know that at least two neurological systems control behavior, emotions and cognition.  System 1 is slow to learn, quick to react, unconscious, associative and evolutionary older.  System 2 is quick to learn, slow to react, conscious, analytical and evolutionary younger.

You can also find info on the ‘dual process theory’ on Wikipedia and elsewhere.

First of all, I don’t think system 1 processes can be described as ‘choice’.  Quick reacting, unconscious processes would be the opposite of choice.  Second, I take it that ‘cognition’ is similar to ‘beliefs’?  I suppose behaviors and emotions can shape beliefs, too, so I’m not sure.

Be that as it may, any beliefs that are controlled by system 1 appear to be beyond our ability to choose.

System 2 processes could be described as ‘choice’.  But even then, system 2 processing very probably relies on information supplied by system 1, so it is a little muddy how much choice we have, if any.

…but I wonder what it is that makes some people have an ‘Ah ha!’ moment to change their belief.

I think when people have an epiphany, it is there slow learning system 1 thought processes finally figuring something out.  That’s not to say an epiphany is always correct but it may actually hold insights that your conscious mind couldn’t have come up with on its’ own.  I think this would explain spiritual experiences of the Bill James variety.

• 37
    Stephen of Wimbledon says:

Hi Julieana,

Lots of good answers here already so I’ll just add my two-penneth worth.

I was brought up in a home that many, even then, would have considered religious.  Today it would be considered pretty hard line (social norms having shifted away from religion), but it would still fall far short of fundamentalist.

There was no ‘Ah-ha!’ moment for me.  The same goes for my Sister who, like you, dabbled in mystical nonsense.  She still finds it interesting and, though she has moved on in many ways, she talks in terms of ‘the spiritual’.  She also still has just as much difficulty in explaining what she means by spiritual.

The people who do have those moments seem to be the people who get very deep into a religion, and encounter some trigger that makes them see things a different way.  For many people, me included (and my Sister) it was more a question of thinking there are reasons to believe that something was wrong from an early age, but not feeling the need to act.

Then, for whatever reason, you start to take a fresh – adult – look at these ideas.  For me The God Delusion was not a revelation.  But it was like someone held down the fast forward button and got me to the end of the train of thought.

The thing is, most people I have encountered on my life’s journey are in exactly that position.

The World is, in a big way, giving religions a free pass because people don’t take the step of thinking clearly about belief and faith.  The way forward – for those of us who recognise the damage that religion does – seems to me to be to just keep plugging away.

As Carrie Poppy pointed out earlier this year at TAM, that doesn’t mean evangelising.  It means just poking minds into action  – the minds of the people who are like you, when you find yourself sitting next to them.  See more here:

Peace.

• 38
    Julieana says:

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far.  It’s fascinating to read the stories of what caused people to realise that there was probably no god (or mystical woo).  Thanks to those who have educated me with info about free will and other links.   This subject is so interesting, and I’m looking forward to seeing what else comes up here.

I think my own conclusions so far are that we don’t really choose our (religious) beliefs, but if doubt is sowed in our mind, then unconscious processes set to work on this.  Eventually our conscious mind is shown the results, and then we ‘think’ we’ve made the decison ourself.

Then there is of course the whole debate of what is ‘me’.  And that answer seems to be ‘The illusion of Self’.  I really enjoyed Bruce Hood’s books on this subject.

Sorry if I’m rambling!  It’s great to interact with you all!

• 39
    The Jersey Devil says:

I never heard of Bruce Hood so I did a google search and look what I found:

It’s an interview of Hood by Sam Harris in which Hood mentions a bit about Bill James.  It’s interesting and right in line with what has been discussed on this thread.

I think age is a factor.  A teenager/young adult has a better chance of adapting or changing their mind.

My thoughts are that the unconscious mind (system 1) relies on preconcieved biases.  In the teen/young adult stage of development, these biases are still up for modification.  I wont say it is impossible for adults to change these biases but it becomes harder.

Now that isn’t to say that adults can’t be open-minded.  They just need th right system 1 biases in place.

Keep in mind, system 1 is slow to learn therefore it should be repetitive in it’s thoughts and behaviors.  System 2 then operates within the framework established by these repetitive biases.

I would say ‘skepticism’ can be a system 1 bias.  How often on this website do we see people asking ‘Where’s the evidence?’  I’d say it’s repetitive.  System 2 then takes over regarding the specific case but operates within that framework.

I think also “God exists” could be a system 1 bias in and of itself.  System 2 takes over with that starting point and oparates as if that’s true.

• Hi Julieana. The subject of beliefs and the process of  how we ‘choose’ them has always interested me and I could write a lot about it, but Bruce Hood in his book ‘Supersense’ explains it all much better.

• 41
    Julieana says:

Hi Turan,

Thanks for the suggstion.  I have read Supersense, and I thought it was brilliant.  I just always seem to have more questions – but I guess that’s not a bad thing!

• 42
    Julieana says:

Hi Jersey Devil,

That’s a god point about ‘God exists’ being an unconscious bias in itself.  We seem to be born with an innate belief in ‘something else’, which we then need to have educated out of us!  Rational thinking is up against our natural tendancies to infer agency, which is probably why it isn’t as popular as the religious stuff, despite all the evidence that may point to no creator.

As Turan suggested just now, I would also recommend Bruce Hood’s Supersense – now that you’ve discovered who he is.  I think you’ll really enjoy it.  :o)

• 43
    The Jersey Devil says:

…born with an innate belief …

and

…natural tendancies to infer agency…

I have no doubt that we are born with instincts or natural tendancies or whatever but we also learn, though when it comes to system 1 biases words like ‘conditioned’ or ‘trained’ are probably more accurate then ‘learn’.

I saw on a recent RDF.net thread a youtube of a 6 year old shreading a YEC, Eric Hovind.  Apparently, Mr. Hovind is the son of a YEC.  (see Alan4discusion’s post).

Here is Mr. Hovind’s autobiography.

Well, you can peruse Hovind’s website at your own peril (Oh, my eyes, they burn from the stupid!).  The only thing I wanted to point out was he clearly credits his father for his Christian upbringing.

Now, I don’t think this one anecdotal example proves the point but it does illustrate some of what I believe:

A)  Aside from a tendency to infer agency, Mr. Hovind likely was born with some type of bias to copy his father.

B)  During his particular childhood (into young adulthood), his system 1 was conditioned to be biased towards ‘Christianity’.

C)  Both the tendency and the conditioning made him the person he is today and he didn’t choose any of this.

D)  As an adult, any system 2 analysis his brain tries has to use the system 1 biases as a starting point with the likely result of concluding that his system 1 biases are correct.  It’s just a circular confirmation bias and still no choice.

E)  In other words, his head is so far up his ass he couldn’t find it with a flashlight.

That’s it for now.  I’ll have to check out more on Hood soon, thanks.

• 44
    bad john says:

I don’t normally use the term “escaped Catholic”, it was never quite Colditz and I didn’t have to dig any tunnels.  It was just a Sunday morning irritation while I was a child.  As I got older, the pressure dropped slightly, it became easier to find excuses to miss church.  Once I left home there was no pressure at all.  For a while, my mother would try to drag me to church if I was visiting on Sunday but finally she gave up.

Despite being an atheist vegetarian, I don’t see atheism as requiring vegetarianism, they are independent choices.  In a society dominated by religious carnivores, it may seem that vegetarianism and atheism often go together.  I guess that the explanation is that someone who rejects one commonly held belief is more likely to reject others as well.

• Hi Julieana et. al.,
    Since you recommend some great books like “Supersense”, may I suggest the Victor Stenger’s book “The NEW Atheism – Taking a Stand for SCIENCE and REASON” (and especially chapter 8, “THE NATURE OF MIND”) which covers almost everything concerning supernatural (or traditional) beliefs and world views while giving excellent replies to them all from a naturalistic perspective. I hope I helped.
    Cheers!

• 46
    Julieana says:

Hey Soma,

Thanks for the recommendation.  I see it has very good reviews on Amazon.

I have a question, though.  I read Victor Stenger’s Quantum Gods: Creation, Chaos and the Search for Cosmic
    Consciousness , and I found it very hard to grasp, because he used a lot of maths, which went over my head.  I like to think I’m reasonaby intelligent (as we all do), but is The New Atheism a little easier for laypersons to read?

Thanks!

• I think that really depends upon the intellect of an individual. Some people really tend to be freethinkers and end up deconverting of their own volition after indoctrination. These, however, seem to be relatively few. There are some who will deconvert after being introduced to the idea and will have varying degrees of willingness to accept. Others, however, are raised into such fundamentalism and the capacity for critical thinking is so totally drained from them that they will never deconvert. Sometimes, I wonder if parents are given too much influence in the lives of children. To threaten people with things like hellfire makes deconversion a difficult thing indeed to the impressionable child.

• 48
    Misfire says:

Sorry for the cliche, but I think it fits well here: generally speaking I think it’s a leading-the-horse-to-water case–you can’t ultimately force yourself to believe something, but you can expose yourself to the information and ways of thinking that will lead you to a belief.

When someone like Glen Beck or Obama chooses a religion, what they’ve done isn’t to sit down in a vacuum and try to believe; they joined their respective churches for the social value, went to church, presumably banished doubts (if they had them), and eventually came to believe something.

I think in that roundabout way, yes, you can sometimes choose your beliefs.

• Fascinating questions and discussion. I was brought up in a Christian household, though through my own questioning came to move away from that.

I find the questions of whether ‘we’ choose our beliefs and what is ‘me’ intriguing. From my perspective, a belief is a thought that is either persistent or more deeply held, but nevertheless a thought. And while it looks as though thoughts are kicked off from other thoughts, they simply arise. (I can’t ‘choose’ to think a thought – isn’t that choice just another thought?) So who is this ‘me’ that observes these thoughts? Isn’t the thought of ‘me’ yet another thought…?

• When I see or hear the conclusive evidence in a convincing argument or mathematical proof, it just feels good in my brain, like the final pieces of a jigsaw puzzle fitting together. Few things are more mentally uncomfortable to me than unfounded conjecture and unfinished arguments with loose ends, yet that is all that religion could ever offer me in the way of understanding. Maybe it depends on how satisfied you are with shallow explanations. If you are not satisfied, your questions are going to reveal logical holes, vacuous claims, and ulterior motives. To me, a person’s beliefs are an indication of how much they really want to get at the truth.

• 52
    Dvejohnsen says:

If you break it down on a psychological level I’d say it’s your level of understanding that define who you are as a person, we’re all looking for answers, subconsciously or consciously, some people just find the answer in religion, and just never ask themselves whether it’s a logic/rational answer.

The world is matter and energy, the way i see it Jesus just misunderstood positive/negative for good and evil. In many ways he was a pioneer. It’s because of his ideas, or our perception of what his ideas were that lead us to understand the evolution of life.

In fact if you think about what the bible actually tell us, it’s not far from the truth if you just cut out all the nonsense. God created the universe in this order; Light, the earth, landscape, animal life and at the end human life.

Now picture our planet; The earth, as a source of energy, which lead to plants and trees to grow, followed up by bacteria, and then all life.

Religion is in all honesty just ancient science, what are we all arguing about..

• 53
    Mider1985 says:

I was raised catholic, then I started going to a church called Church of Christ. I do believe its mental abuse. You should have the right to choose what you believe at a young age. If you dont you will become brainwashed later on and its so hard to break away from it. This is shown in such books as god virus, and of course god delusion. Sorry i wont use a capital G with that word. I refuse to. But as you grow up. You are told that everyoen around you is going to hell if they dont belong to your church. Then your told that everyone is a sinner. I dont really understand the concept since everyone I have ever met does bad things. By bad I mean lie, look at women. Im not talking about murder or rape. Of course a religous person equates looking at women, to adultery, hate to murder etc. I was even told and this is not only in my church. That I would go to hell if I ever married outside of my religion. But how bad is it for a 19 year old to be told that your entire family which isnt of your faith is going to hell? Or that everyone other then yourself is going to hell? How bad is it to be told to totally ignore your natural urges such as looking at women? It also goes far beyond just not lusting.  As a child you take everything your told at face value. And when you grow up as a relgious person you will do the same. You will ignore scientific facts. You will read science books and toss them aside. The only science you will believe is from your quran or bible. This is true in the middle east. Yet when christains get sick they run to the doctor. They hate evolution yet take flu shots, some dont.

• 55
    Memera says:

I am an escaped charismatic christian (been at large, more or less for 30+ years) – but only very recently become much more vocal about my experiences, because I have finally understood how those dogmatic beliefs held their power over me for more than 27 years as a young man — I believe my story will be of value to others still in mental slavery to this dogmatic mental slavery. I wish to set others free now, and I HAVE A MEME that is more powerful than the pernicious meme of HELLFIRE, used by so many to tyrannize the minds of so many, including me for a long while.  This is Part 1 of my story of taking control, choosing what I believe. It was not an easy journey, fraught with terrors and grief for the people who have rejected me for my choices.

SOME BACKGROUND
    I was raised as a southern Baptist until I was 12, intensely indoctrinated and emotionally attached to the comfort afforded by the “gospel”; I remember wonderful childhood Christmas celebrations; then my parents involved our family in the charismatic movement, complete with “holy spirit” baptisms, visions, speaking in tongues (a skill I still possess),”healings”, other “miracles”, and I even underwent exorcism of demons (one of my most curious experiences, during which I felt bereft of choice in the matter – I was in fact, only 13). During high school I experienced some doubt about the fate of all those others who never heard the “word of God” and were therefore destined for hellfire, eternal punishment.  During college, my “beliefs” really fell into turmoil – I was offered by my father payment for my college, but only if I went to Oral Roberts University…I could have been accepted by any university, as Valedictorian and a 4.0 HS average. But I took the safe route, being terrified by the world at large, which I had never really been exposed to….in graduate school, I professed christian beliefs (with some reservations)…but in my 27th year, I finally had to admit that I was dishonest with myself; as a academic physicist, Genesis could NOT possibly be literal…and I had some dim recognition that the spiritual wisdom of “the voice” I heard in response to prayer could possibly be my own wise intuition…but the real breakthrough came when I finally relaxed my desperate grip on my convictions to allow that I doubted – opening the door to my own damnation, according to what I had been taught and still feared. I was startled by what happened next – having allowed myself to be honest, I resigned myself to face off that spectre of eternal damnation (if that’s what happens as a result of my “belief” or “doubt”, let it be, still I must be clear with myself) – and to my surprise, THERE WAS NO ONE THERE! The fear had completely vanished (more on this in Part 2)! Was this an exercise of FREE WILL in choosing my beliefs?  I now believe so, and I realized over time that a few of us DO in fact choose their beliefs; some of us just take charge for what we believe, instead of abdicating that awful responsibility to someone else (in authority, “divine”, “elders’, “ancient truth”….) – after all if we get from somewhere/someone else, we can’t be blamed if it’s wrong, right? That was the position my father always took (“I didn’t say it, GOD did!”), so he could never be contradicted – an easy way out.  I have rejected that approach entirely now – I take full responsibility for what I believe (the word is never followed by the preposition “IN….something”), because I have reasonable evidence for my beliefs that I can rationally discus with another human being (and perhaps they change my mind). But it is MY MIND, and I won’t give it back now. Thank you, Thomas Jefferson.
    Later I will share just how I managed to dance the ice floes of my thoughts and fears to get free (Part 2); and later on again, what has been recently discovered about the interaction of emotions and memory (Part 3)  and how that allowed the HELLFIRE meme to infest so many people and resist its removal.

And thank you, Richard Dawkins and Susan Blackmore, for introducing me to the notions of memes, helping to understand so much of my own mental wilderness.

• I read mandarin’s translated version of Buddhism; and, it occurs to me that the English’s translated version is almost completely different from that of mandarin version in content.

My insight so far is that Buddhism is actually an ancient scientific theory, it is based on the observation that all life form or organism -human included-goes through some kind of cycle based on the current action of the life form.

The hypothesis is this:

If the action of the life form is embracing life rather than destroying it, it will move towards a wiser/more intelligent life form after dead. Dead itself is considered as a transformation process where all life in the matter state revert back to its original energy state; whereas, Reincarnation is a process that can be represented by : energy state-> matter state-> energy state-> matter state or simply E<=>mc2.

Reincarnation is a natural law just like evolution, it is not control by Buddha. The word ‘Buddha’ by the way is just a designation given to those who has proved scientifically the existence of reincarnation; and, be able to make use of it to transform himself/herself/itself to any form be it matter or energy. Buddha do not have the power to transform you into other being or assist you getting through bad time or to defeat or even kill your enemy.

The overall “mental/energy” – not physical – environment that creates or shape this world that is located on planet earth is fear of dying, inclination to want more than necessary, mercilessness against other life form, lack of wisdom etc…. if you take away these attributes from all living organisms on this planet earth, nothing can or will survive.

• 58
    Alan4discussion says:

limch – My insight so far is that Buddhism is actually an ancient scientific theory,

It does not meet the definition of a scientific theory – that requires testing and evidence. It is a belief based on traditions.

The hypothesis is this:

It is an interesting folk hypothesis, but fails because while matter and energy is recycled through ecosystems, it always degrades according to the Second law of thermodynamics. “Mental energy” only exists as the physical energy in the form of electrical impulses and biochemistry.

Reincarnation is a natural law just like evolution,

The only physical “reincarnation” is in the genes of off-spring of the same species. The rest of recycling is providing other species with food.

Mental energy and physical energy are one in the same thing.  All “energy” in the brain can be monitored according to the laws of physics.  Anything else is wishful thinking.

While human thinking may well go some way to shaping human societies, there are plenty of surviving organisms in evolutionary history, which are quite merciless, and many without the brains to to have wisdom.

• Consider “a scientific theory” as
    opposed to” a scientific law”. You are right nevertheless; i should have
    said an ancient scientific hypothesis.

If any living Buddha or practicing Monk can provide
    adequate scientific proofs that can be repeated -for instance, after dead he
    will be reincarnated as Lincoln and later as Obama at a specific birth
    place and time- would have made reincarnation a scientific law just like
    Newton’s Law of motion.  The process may be difficult to grasp, but at the
    very least, the result speaks for itself.

Unfortunately, up until now, nobody on earth can
    prove that; and, the past Buddha only told his decipher that that was the case
    without provide solid scientific proof. Consequently, hitherto “reincarnation” can
    only be regarded as a scientific hypothesis.

While Charles Darwin observed how physical
    environment and survival of the fittest could generate tremendous diversity in one
    particular species; he did not ponder over the transformation that a particular
    organism may have gone through after dead.  For instance, he did not ponder over the
    by natural processes and recycled back to nature.

But, is this the full story or could Darwin’s
    observations is just half of the observation?

Could there be another unknown process that runs
    parallel to the decaying or recycling process?

Could “reincarnation” be that unknown parallel
    process?

If it could be, then how shall Buddhist devise a
    scientific experiment to prove its existence?

I wonder if it can ever be done albeit I think
    is not impossible.

But one thing is for sure, if it cannot be done,
    just like many other hypothesises, reincarnation will remain as a scientific
    hypothesis no matter how well the Buddhist monk package it. Another words, it
    will be confined within the realm of the faithful.

If, however, it can be done, then it would be
    the biggest scientific breakthrough ever; and, the consequent would be that
    human will no longer fear death; and, the issue/myth relating to the existence
    of God, Ghost, Satan would be completely and absolutely solved.

• 60
    Alan4discussion says:

limch –   For instance, he did not ponder over the possibility that a bird may transform directly into human being after dead. He probably holds the thought that when an organism died; the only thing that happens is that its physical form is broken down by natural processes and recycled back to nature.

There is no mechanism in the physical universe for reincarnation.  The scientific laws pertaining to matter and energy would preclude such events.  All there is is folk myths.

All the evidence is that humans and birds descended independently, from the time they separated from a common ancestor, and reproduce sexually by well known processes, – mental developments arising physically with embryological development.

If, however, it can be done, then it would be the biggest scientific breakthrough ever; and, the consequent would be that human will no longer fear death; and, the issue/myth relating to the existence of God, Ghost, Satan would be completely and absolutely solved.

There is also the question in trying to prove the existence of gods or supernatural entities, as to which one of the thousands of conflicting descriptions which have been claimed, could have the possibility of being “proved”?

Many have tried to find such evidence for thousands of years, but none have succeeded.

• I opined that it is more like owing to our “thought limitation” that there is “not yet” mechanism in the physical universe for reincarnation. This does not mean that it will remain forever so.
    Just like dark matter in the universe, nobody think that it existed until recently.

Buddha (hope you do not have the notion that Buddha is god like Jesus Christ) did told his deciphers that there are living organism in water; and, hence every time before he drink water, he will meticulously sieve out the organism in order not to harm them. At that time, it is very likely that nobody believes him or may even consider him as insane. But with the invention of the microscope  he had been vindicated.

Buddhism never acknowledge the existence of “god” or “soul”; he suggested that all organisms are alive owing to the biological processes that keep the organism alive i.e fire (body temperature); water( body fluid); wind ( breathing process) and wood( body tissue), are still function properly. As regards to the transformation process after an organism pass away; it simply states that it is solely responsible for its own action. I would speculate that he “suggested” or “proposed” or highlight the process of reincarnation as  the sole determination factor in the dead transformation process.

Obviously it is easier for Charles Darwin to proof the origin of species via detailed recording of the observations that registered the transformation process a specie undergone owing to the need to propagate its species governs by the “survival of the fittest”. For Einstein, it is more difficult to prove the relationship between space and time; and, that light can be bent by huge object.

The crux of the problem for “reincarnation” , however, is that it is difficult to proof even though it is mentioned in countless occasions and time by high priest or even Buddha that it does exist. I truly hope that those monks that claim the existence of ‘reincarnation’, will devise a ‘scientific’ or “consistence” way to proof its existence.

Thanks for replying.

• 62
    GospelofJudas says:

Consider the fact that every decade or so, our body will have none of the cells left within it that it did ten years earlier. So we are left wondering, ‘what makes *me*?’ The physical apparatus of our body is constantly shed and regrown, just as though you had a car on which every single part had been replaced. It is still your ‘car’, or your idea of a car, just as we are still us, or our own ideas of us. Really, we’re just waves of energy snatching up raw materials in a replicating pattern that spun off from one thing, and may or may not spin off into others. When our bodies stop moving, the energy presumably does something (I’m fuzzy on sub-atomic physics, but I’m fairly certain that energy is conserved always, even if it changes form or counters its opposite). If you’re a wave of energy whose experiences are reactions to stimuli on your consciousness (and I personally am not a proponent of consciousness being possible through classic mechanics, but that’s a whole other conversation), and then if your consciousness falters or dissipates, the energy would still go somewhere else, be somewhere else, and do something else, even if it’s not receiving the same stimuli in the same way. Reincarnation can therefore either be an extremely broad metaphor, or something related more closely to consciousness, which is a very poorly understood phenomenon.

As to the original question, one of the largest difficulties for anyone is confirmation bias; we grow up in societies that shape our perception because even the means by which we explore reality have been codified. When Socrates proclaimed that he was the wisest of the Greeks because he alone knew nothing, I don’t think that it was some anti-intellectual statement but rather a declaration that he was not using pre-conceived notions in his evaluation of reality. Look at how the Chinese culture view matter and energy vs. their Western counterparts, and you’ll see that they had constructed a different paradigm. They would necessarily get different results, because they used different rules.

We can break the chains of paradigm bias, but the solution lies not in simply setting different belief systems side by side and choosing the one that you think is most correct, but rather in questioning the validity of the systems themselves, and questioning what you’ve grown to think of ‘systems’ at all.

• 63
    Alan4discussion says:

GospelofJudas

The feature of  when ” consciousness falters or dissipates, the energy would still go somewhere else, be somewhere else, and do something else,”:-  is that all energy flows in the physical universe (or at least the parts around Earth) are detectable and measurable.
    The electrical circuits and biochemistry of the brain, are physical systems with measurable physical and chemical properties.  There is no way for energy to go “somewhere else” undetected, –  because energy – as you say – is conserved.  The laws of thermodynamics are quite explicit about that.

• 64
    GospelofJudas says:

I know, my friend. I’m not trying to state otherwise. The idea of a ‘soul’ as some permanent fixture that retains memories and floats from one existence to the next is not a belief I share at all. I don’t pretend to understand the nature of consciousness, but I don’t believe that it would be so cut and dry. In fact, my entire point is that the animating force of our bodies is simply energy, easily understood from a classical mechanic point of view; the sun shines on the earth, plants collect the energy, are eaten and processed, we get to continue functioning, and upon death the body stops and begins releasing heat, and no longer generating energy. My contention is that it is more Buddhist to discard the idea of a ‘soul’ in the first place, and to quit worrying about it; we’re nothing more than a wave moving through some particles here on earth, so we may as well enjoy the ride.

• 65
    BiteMyWire says:

That’s a hell of a point about the 2nd law, but surely it is not scientifically correct to claim that no conservation occurs of biochemical electricity.  Here is a link to <(edit)-an article about a> genuine study which shows that such conservation is physically detectable…

• 66
    flyingfsck says:

I grew up in a severely religeous environment, but I always thought that it is bollocks, despite being forced into Sunday school and even being confirmed in the church. I abandoned the claptrap as soon as I lived on my own.

• I was brought up as a Christian, but very early on I viewed it as something that to endure until I was old enough to be left on my own. I recall a time in Sunday school when someone said when you go out into the world, people will try to catch you out by asking about dinosaurs. I was expecting this person to continue with a counter argument that Christians should use under these circumstances, after a a pregnant pause I asked what response I should give and was met with stony silence. I saw this as final confirmation that Christianity was definitely not for me.

Religious belief appears to me to so cathartic that it stops you from asking questions. Anything that you can’t explain is covered by the universal get out clause – God did it!

There are a small number of scientists that also follow a mainstream religion. I can only assume that such people adopt a kind of Orwellian double-think when it comes to overt conflicts between their scientific and religious beliefs.

• I chose some of my beliefs but not others. I walk around all day long pretending that I look just like Tom Cruse. This fantasy or “belief” makes me happy and hurts no one. Since I keep this belief to myself no one ever challenges it. I’ve never had anyone tell me that I look nothing like Ton Cruse. The only problem is I have to avoid mirrors.