The story of a person’s journey from devout Christian to the complete dismissal of faith is almost always a profound one. With that in mind, I’ll try to make this a succinct life story composed of bullet points!
– Born into a very Christian family
– I go with the flow for my first years
– At the age that I could comprehend religion, I became close to god. You know, one of those “personal relationships”. I “felt god’s presence”.
– At age 13, I question god’s intentions as I go through severe depression
– Age 14, the first hint of doubt surfaces
– Christian summer camp brings me back to religion
– I hear about the God Delusion. It’s shocking. Just the title itself! Calling god a delusion?!
– I hear about the Flying Spaghetti Monster
– After reading and studying extensively, I renounce my faith
– Age 16, I am comfortable denying god without fear of damnation
– Age 17, Richard Dawkins’ (I hope the irony is not missed) crusade inspires me to speak out against religion, which had me fear eternal damnation for a few years of my life
– Age 18, I decide to tell my story. Thank you Mr. Dawkins, with the help of you and a giant wad of spaghetti, I am an outspoken atheist. My family goes to church without me. If I ever feel bad about being the only one (I don’t) I just count the hours they spend concerning themselves with a vengeful imaginary friend.
Again, thank you.