The Sirius film – Ufo’s “revelations”

Apr 25, 2013

Discussion by: yoann

Hi there,

I am really concerned about a movie to be released in a week or so, called the Sirius Film.

It claims to be bring a "new light", and probably some evidence that ETs are visiting us. You might see on their website some photos or crappy videos of the creature they have found. They even seem to have made DNA tests on it, which would be confirmed by another university.

The more i look at it, the more it looks like a scam. Especially when i see that they are gathering funds to create afterwards a laboratory to make researches on a "free clean energy" of some kind.

When i read the comments on their facebook page, they really look like fanatics. Almost NONE of them seem to have a little kind of skepticism: they are all having these preconceived sentences you have always heard a thousand times like "how could we be alone in such a vast universe", "the government is lying to us" and so on.

I am not a scientist myself, but i am afraid that this all look like a "scientised version" of religions. The god seem to be the ET, and the devil is a mix of the none-believers, the army and/or the big corporations (that are hiding the truth of course).

To be honest, i wish we could make contact with ETs. I wish i will see this day and so on. But i think that in this case, these people (if what they bring is crap) might try to take advantage of the situation. But believe me, deep inside, i hope they have something real ^^.

So i wondered if the foundation could inquire a bit about this, and get feedback from people here about this subject.

49 comments on “The Sirius film – Ufo’s “revelations”

• 1
    Michael Fisher says:

Nothing to be “really concerned about”

We’ve got charlatans everywhere selling us something or other ~ some of them are politicians, bankers or economists & then we work down to people like David Icke, Uri Geller, Erich von Däniken or Deepak Chopra ~ all of them making money out of fools

This is the influence behind Sirius Film

• In reply to #1 by Michael Fisher:

Thanks. Clickable link

The thing I find interesting about these people is that their claims are actually a lot more plausible than religious claims. Aliens visiting earth does not over turn everything we know about physics although we might question the propulsion methods they use whereas gods, resurrection, Noah’s ark, life after death etc does. But society finds it a lot easier to laugh at the alien visitation conspiracy theorists than it does at the religious.

It’s an interesting contrast. If there are enough of you the nuttiness becomes acceptable.

Michael

• 3
    Fouad Boussetta says:

In reply to #2 by mmurray:

I agree. Plus these claims are very seductive: the world would be more interesting if they were true!

As a kid, I never had any religious beliefs, but I was absolutely convinced of the existence of UFOs, extraterrestrials, telepathy, telekinesis… And I was wondering what was going on in the Bermuda Triangle. At the same time, I was rooting for the Soviet Union and its propagandized ideology.

So yes, all that stuff sounds, looks, and feels more true, more scientific, than the other, crazy religious stuff. So it is much easier to believe.

• How long would it have taken for a film like this to be made? I think we would have heard about it by now, if there was even the suggestion of truth in it.

• In reply to #4 by Nitya:

I’ve looked at several of these books and documentaries over the years and tried to keep an open mind. They are all obviously pseudo-science and they usually follow fairly predictable patterns. They never consider all the possible alternative explanations for an event but rather they start with a conclusion and then look for evidence to support it. They also assume that every time a government official is caught lying or not telling the complete truth about an event they must be in on the conspiracy. Ignoring the fact that many government officials lie out of habit and that these events are often about classified events and/or accidents with people focusing on covering their butts.

• If there was ever something that seemed legitimate there are plenty of scientists who would be all over it. One of the common fallacies of these types of conspiracy theories is they assume that scientists are all narrow minded bureacrats in white lab coats with no imagination or ability to think creatively.

Very true. Looking at his credentials , I’m surprised that he’d fall for such tosh. However his supposedly first brush with a UFO was at age eight and then again at eighteen. I think that’s telling us something.

• 7
    whiteraven says:

The only thing that would concern me is if I or anyone I knew was foolish enough to spend any money on this because they took it seriously. If there was anything serious to this other than the title, we’d never know until it’s too late. By then we’ll all have been converted into a slave race or selections at the deli counter. Don’t you think anything smart enough to be able to get here from somewhere else would either exterminate us or just keep going?

• In reply to #6 by Nitya:

I’m referring to Steven M Greer, the maker of the film.

• 9
    SaganTheCat says:

the problem with these things tends to be what they class as evidence amounts to no more than pictures and an assertion of what the picture is.

The only thing that seems common among UFO spotters is their evidence is always found within the earths atmosphere. I’m sure there’s life out there, I suspect there’s intelligent life, maybe advanced intelligent life capable of travelling the vast distances required to visit other worlds but then get my calculator out and start working on brobabilities that their efforts came to fruition at a time when they came to earth, from such a distance that they would never have received any sign of intielligence form us, at just the same point in time, within a few dacades of when people started watching sci-fi movies while managing to evade any detection (other than the odd camcorder)

• 10
    robin.freemantle.7 says:

You are obviously not yet “aware” … First thing you need to make sure you KNOW that science is science and everything else is not. If you stick to sound scientific principles you need nothing else other than that. When you hear, see something, anything, you must examine it scientifically, if it fails science, it is wrong.Simple.

• 11
    Happy Nihilist says:

I wouldn’t be too concerned, there will always be a group who gravitate towards to latest conspiracy theory as it seems people like the feeling of being ‘in the know’ especially in the midst of the blind.

I do quite enjoy an alien theory and a good friend of mine insisted on making me watch almost every episode of ‘ancient aliens’ of which he believed every word. I agree alien visitation is more plausible than the supernatural, however the extremely flimsy and tedious links put forth as proof are hilarious, but it lead to some very enjoyable debates and although I haven’t entirely broken his spirit the more bizarre beliefs have dwindled. This anecdotal evidence makes me think that they aren’t all quite as hardcore as fundamentalist theists, generally.

• 12
    mmurray says:

It’s strange how now that an enormous slice of the human population carries a camera with them all the time we still don’t have a decent shot of an alien space craft. Hardly anything else news worthy happens without a dozen or so pictures of it appearing on youtube shortly after. I guess with the rise of camera phones the aliens are using their cloaking technology more. That must be it.

Michael

• 13
    SaganTheCat says:

In reply to #12 by mmurray:

Michael

finally, they travel light years with it switched on then turn it off at the last minute normally.

my favorite argument that crops up regularly is when the footage is “examined by experts who are unable to say for sure what it is”

before the age of digital cameras i used to get at least half a reel of pics back from boots that would baffle experts too.

the fairy picture on the other thread always comes to mind when photographic evidence is used, since the dawn of photography, photographs have been the most misleading piece of evidence you can hold up

• 14
    papa lazaru says:

In reply to #8 by Nitya:

In reply to #6 by Nitya:

The other one is that it’s a cover up. Either to stop us going nuts, or the government / masonic cabal / S.P.E.C.T.R.E. are in league with our alien overlords. See the X-Files.

Fiction has always been more attractive than reality. I myself love a bit of conspiracy / science fiction 🙂 And yeah, proper UFO evidence would be exciting. But I wouldn’t trust that kind of Mickey Mouse outfit with my dinner left overs.

• 15
    bob_e_s says:

In reply to #14 by papa lazaru:

In reply to #8 by Nitya:

In reply to #6 by Nitya:

And yeah, proper UFO evidence would be exciting.

And of course that leads to the other logical fallacy these chaps fall into, it IS a UFO, therefore it MUST BE ET. All the ‘evidence’ I’ve seen is for UFO’s, ie. strange lights in the sky. it seems unavoidable for these people to make the leap that because they don’t know what it is, it must be aliens.

I raised the issue of alien conspiracies on another thread. I can see why people like the idea, but I can’t understand they become so obsessed with it, and convinced of its true.

• 16
    Simon Tuffen says:

This creature they claim to have found and performed DNA tests on, why are they capable of only taking crappy photos of it? And why is it not available for anyone else to examine? Why is it not on the TV news or in the papers? It’s just so ludicrous.

• Carl Sagan in his book The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark offers a simple question to help determine whether or not people are actually communicating with aliens, “Can you tell us something we don’t know”.

Not surprisingly, nobody has. And you can be sure that any alien autopsy will reveal a strangely familiar creature. Like the fact that the reincarnated Genghis Khan speaks English, likes the Batman movies and prefers vanilla ice cream to sherbet shows he’s really just the oddball next door, Sagan’s question reveals the alien talking to you, is just you.

• 19
    littletrotsky13 says:

In reply to #17 by crookedshoes:

Would an ET have DNA???

Only logical answer is: possibly, though it may use different aromatic bases even then; or it could have alternative chirality. Then you’ve got alternative sugars or backbones for the nucleic acid strand. All you really need is some form of encoding polymer. It could even be silicon rather than carbon based. or it could be a probe. I mean,it’s more likely if there was another intelligent species that a probe would get here first rather than a spacecraft, for the same reason as our probes are going to get to other planets first.

I’m rambling, going to stop now.

• 20
    God fearing Atheist says:

There are millions of (Govt. funded) dollars going into proper scientific searches for ET.

There are lots of loons claiming they have found ET, or claiming the Govt. is covering up finding ET.

Scientists deal in evidence, loons deal in moonshine and conspiracy theories.

I have a hunch that, with the number of exo-planets being discovered now, a planet with a spectrum indicating life will be found within the next 25 years. Finding one with a technologically advanced civilisation is another matter.

• 23
    mmurray says:

In reply to #22 by DanDare:

The alien creature they found is a desiccate human fetus. DNA testing showed it to be a human from the local area.

Wow. DNA proof that aliens and humans share a common ancestry!

Michael

PS: I don’t believe this — just imagining the response from those who can’t ever accept the obvious answer. Thanks for the explanation.

• 24
    Nodhimmi says:

OR- it must be GOD- even more ‘convincing’

• 25
    This Is Not A Meme says:

To paraphrase Feynman, ‘I have more confidence in the proven irrationality of terrestrial beings, than the unproven rationality of extra-terrestrial beings.’

• 26
    Alan4discussion says:

In reply to #2 by mmurray:

@link – The Disclosure Project was allegedly founded in an effort to grant amnesty to government whistle-blowers willing to violate their security oaths by sharing insider knowledge about UFOs.[12] He claims to have briefed CIA director James Woolsey that same year.

“I would like to blow the whistle on the secrecy involved in USAF telling UFO mugs that Stealth bombers were alien spacecraft as part of a rumour-mongering cover up for the development of stealth technology!”!

(Whooops!! The UFO freaks don’t want to hear this, and the FBI, CIA, and military police are coming to get me!!!!!)

• 27
    papa lazaru says:

_In reply to #15 by bobe_s:

Poor choice of words on my part. But what I really mean is, aliens, and I understand the distinction between aliens and UFOs. And the fact that there is absolutely no evidence of the former, and all there is is the later, which really doesn’t mean a thing by its very definition.

• 28
    No Gravitons says:

Yes i know of this movie, it has been put together by a Dr Steven Greer and his crew of money making criminals. For an extra few thousand pounds, he will come to your country in person and show you alien vehicles through a night vision scope, yes indeed, aliens he has contacted with his mind, so that should give you an idea that a man showing you aircraft and satellites, while claiming they are mind reading aliens, may not be a trustworthy source of information regarding the UFO phenomena.

There are a number of so called “genuine” X military radar personnel such as Navy, Army and Air force etc in the movie, but one should take it with a pinch of sodium in a Bose Einstein Condensate.

This is my 1st ever comment, only joined today. Glad to see a number of like minded Jihadist’s. 😉

• 29
    No Gravitons says:

In reply to #27 by papa lazaru:

In reply to #15 by bobes:

UFO is what is says on the tin, we have not publicly acknowledged we have created anti-gravity style propulsion, so when a UFO is spotted and then observed by NORAD, multiple ships radar, large numbers of ground radar stations, aircraft radar systems, backed up by ground visual identification of UFO, pilot visual confirmation of UFO or target, measurements of velocity and size of target, we end up in a dilemma.

The target size of say 200 ft in diameter, circular and flat in shape traveling at a velocity of mach 20, traveling 500 miles in one radar sweep, poses a problem when we say oh its aliens. The known aircraft we use and know we have do not match the characteristics of such vehicles in question so we assume they are alien in origin. But so too would the SR-71 in 1970 traveling at Mach-3+ and flying in the outer upper edges of the atmosphere.

Until we see the alien and talk to it, make it a cup of tea etc, we cant say its an alien vehicle. Even if it shoots off into space, we still cannot say its an alien craft until we have proof it is. Its more than likely to be one considering the style of encounter i just stated above, but again, until we see an alien, and do a scientific examination and line of testing publicly and openly on him/her/it, we cant say they are.

Now if we did catch or confront this UFO on the ground and a door opened on the vehicle, only then a ball of jelly rolled out and said hi guys im Allah, we may as well just give up the ghost lol

• 30
    No Gravitons says:

In reply to #25 by This Is Not A Meme:

Did he not also say, ‘ If aliens were proven to be real, he still wouldn’t believe it?’ Or was that a quote from someone else on some other subject matter?

• 32
    No Gravitons says:

In reply to #1 by Michael Fisher:

Nothing to be “really concerned about”

This is t…

Hi, well if one thinks about it, dropping religion to follow David Icke or Greer is a better transition from blind faith towards a basic scientific understanding, than someone dropping religion outright and having no interest in science at all, because they have not been given a taste of it. As much as David Icke may seem crazy, he incites a logical thought process, even though he claims the moon is a reptilian space station. Once people begin to learn the basics of the scientific method, be it research in the basic form to understand what David Icke has said, it can start the process where people then leave David Icke’s ideas and then follow general theory.

Some of these people dont even know what a star is, never mind something like quantum entanglement or time dilation. I see some of them even though crazy to us here, have their place i think in order to pull more people into sciences and away from Gods. I would sooner have David Icke than Islam on my doorstep. 🙂

• 33
    No Gravitons says:

In reply to #31 by Katy Cordeth:

In reply to #28 by No Gravitons:

This is my 1st ever comment…

Yeah, right.

Its true, its not my fault im a genius, what can i do? xxx

• 34
    No Gravitons says:

In reply to #31 by Katy Cordeth:

In reply to #28 by No Gravitons:

This is my 1st ever comment…

Yeah, right.

btw, fancy a job on a Star Ship? xx

• 36
    RobertHarris says:

In reply to #5 by Red Dog:

In reply to #4 by Nitya:

But scientists have been “all over it”. In France the government commissioned top rated scientists to investigate UFO claims for over 20 years and after dismissing the majority of them as explainable natural phenomena, they found many hundreds that could not be explained. Jean-Jacques Velasco, the head of the organization concluded that he believed these sighting were of extra terrestrial origin. Some of his colleagues would not go that far, but all of them admitted that there were numerous cases which they could not explain as any known phenomena.

Unlike most scientists in this country, these guys actually went out in the field and got their hands dirty. They tested soil samples where UFO’s were alleged to have landed and consistently found unexplainable changes in those areas. To put it another way, scientists who actually study the question come to much different conclusions from those who don’t and consider the issue unworthy of their attention.

In addition, there are countless sightings by highly qualified pilots, including a few astronauts who saw vehicles maneuvering at incredible speeds, far beyond anything our technology can duplicate. Other sightings, which include great detail have been confirmed by hundreds of witnesses including police officers. The Phoenix case in the late 90’s is a good example. Even the Arizona governor, who originally ridiculed the whole thing, came to admit that this had to have been about extraterrestrials. This is the CNN report:

And this is another one in Southern Ill. that was corroborated by police officers in towns spread over several hundred miles. Some argued that this was a giant U.S. military aircraft. I find that explanation extremely dubious.

Like Mr. Murray, I am a skeptic. I have never believed in gods, ghosts or anything supernatural. There are some REALLY good reasons not to. But none of those apply to the UFO question. In fact, most scientists believe that based on the sheer number of stars and planets, it is likely that there is other intelligent life in our galaxy. And they could be millions or even billions of years more advanced than us.

• 37
    Red Dog says:

In reply to #36 by RobertHarris:

In reply to #5 by Red Dog:
    If there was ever something that seemed legitimate there are plenty of scientists who would be all over it….But scientists have been “all over it”. In France the government commissioned top rated scientists to investigate UFO claims for over 20 years and after dismissing the majority of them as explainable natural phenomena, they found many hundreds that could not be explained.

You lost any credibility with that statement. It would be amazing if after 20 years they didn’t find many events that couldn’t be explained. That is classic conspiracy thinking. If it can’t be explained the “only possible explanation” is the conspiracy. As Chomsky points out even controlled experiments have data that can’t be explained.

• 38
    No Gravitons says:

In reply to #36 by RobertHarris:

In reply to #5 by Red Dog:

In reply to #4 by Nitya:

Im with you m8. Youtube Projectsblack http://www.youtube.com/user/ProjectsBlack

• 39
    RobertHarris says:

In reply to #37 by Red Dog:

In reply to #36 by RobertHarris:

In reply to #5 by Red Dog:

Unfortunately, I tend to understate sometimes when I make an estimate like that. The correct number for the GEIPAN study was 1600 unexplained, which constituted 28% of the total cases. It’s also important to remember that “explained” cases are rarely certainties. They only fall into that category, when they COULD have been a particular natural phenomena.

I would also point out that even if the number had been much smaller, that would not justify the ad hominem insult that I lack credibility, because the quantity of sightings is not nearly as important as the facts associated with them, or as the saying goes, the devil is in the details.

No one should form an opinion on this without first looking at the most compelling cases and doing so with an open mind. This is NOT about woo. After more than 13 billion years, it should not be at all surprising if this galaxy is teeming with intelligent life.

• 40
    Red Dog says:

In reply to #39 by RobertHarris:

Sorry but that figure still doesn’t impress me at all. These are events that happened years ago about what at the time were unexplained phenomena. The eye witnesses are probably mostly gone or their memories are so tainted by now that they aren’t all that credible. There are always so many credible alternative explanations for an unexplained UFO sighting.

The three most credible IMO are fraud, government secrecy, and government mistakes. Fraud is obvious. By secrecy and mistake I mean the crash or veering off course of some military aircraft that a government wants to keep secret or even spread disinformation about because they either want to keep it classified or cover their butts. Usually its some combination of both.

I agree with that. I apologize for seeming disrespectful.

• 41
    Alan4discussion says:

In reply to #34 by No Gravitons:

btw, fancy a job on a Star Ship? xx

Would that be this one? http://www.icarusinterstellar.org/mae-jemison-and-team-establish-100-year-starship-with-goal-to-make-interstellar-space-travel-reality-by-2112/

RobertHarris – In addition, there are countless sightings by highly qualified pilots, including a few astronauts who saw vehicles maneuvering at incredible speeds, far beyond anything our technology can duplicate.

I would not be surprised if some of these were Sprites, Elves, or Blue jets!

Which could look like fast moving high powered craft!
    Alt Text (right click and select “view image”)

Upper-atmospheric lightning

• 42
    No Gravitons says:

In reply to #41 by Alan4discussion:

In reply to #34 by No Gravitons:

btw, fancy a job on a Star Ship? xx

RobertHarris – In addition, there are countless sightings b…

Interesting websie, thanks, ive made a few comments on the blog.

• 43
    Alan4discussion says:

In reply to #39 by RobertHarris:

Projecting our current sample of one planet, it would be equally unsurprising if the galaxy contained no intelligent life! There are certainly many parts of the galaxy where life (of any sort) as we know it, is very improbable.
    (Earth is a marginal case on which there could be some debate!)

• 45
    RobertHarris says:

In reply to #43 by Alan4discussion:

In reply to #39 by RobertHarris:

That’s an interesting question. I’ve always wondered why all known creatures and plants originated from the same first organism. It seems like there should have been others, although I suppose that members of our “family” may have done them in. But if life only originated once on this planet, then it may be rare indeed.

If we find life on Mars or some other planet, that would be a HUGE breakthrough. If it turned out to contain no DNA like ours, I think we can probably expect to find a LOT of life throughout the galaxy.

• 46
    Alan4discussion says:

In reply to #45 by RobertHarris:

The Earth-Moon system is rare due to the odds against a stable binary planet system forming with the two bodies so close.

That would indeed radically clarify the probabilities. If there was DNA like ours, that could indicate life travelling between planets on meteorites.

I think we can probably expect to find a LOT of life throughout the galaxy.

Yes and no! The star systems near the centre of the galaxy are seriously (radiation) hot.
    Some parts (stars and planets) which have evolved in spherical clusters, have a low metallicity (ie they lack heavy elements like carbon and oxygen).
    The stars in our spiral arm near the sun are likely to be similar to our Solar System – Metallicity depends on the proximity to material from old supernova explosions which generated the heavy elements.

• 47
    RobertHarris says:

In reply to #46 by Alan4discussion:

In reply to #45 by RobertHarris:

I can’t disagree with you. On many planets the metals sank far below the surface when it was in a molten state and would have been out of reach of even the most intelligent species. As I’m sure you know, Earth is an exception, probably due to a massive collision that caused many of the plates to be sharply tilted, exposing metal on the surface. Of course, in the formative years of a solar system, such collisions were not rare.

All of this is why I speculated that the odds of technological life appearing was along the lines of 10 million to one – not exactly a slam dunk:-) But if only a handful of other planets supported such life several billion years ago and managed to avoid self destruction, they could have spread throughout the galaxy and studied numerous other planets, perhaps colonizing some of them. And even if they couldn’t find a way around the speed-of-light limitation, they would certainly have developed the technology to put their vehicle on auto pilot and lay down to take a nap, awakening many years later upon arrival at their destination.

Obviously, we don’t have enough data to even make an informed guess about this, but the simple fact that intelligent/technological life developed on this planet, proves that it is not impossible. Therefore, we don’t have the right to consider the notion that we have been or are being studied by extraterrestrials, to be absurd. Anyone who is at all curious about this should IMO, do a careful study of those cases which even good scientists have not been able to explain.

• 48
    Alan4discussion says:

In reply to #47 by RobertHarris:

Metallicity is not widely understood, and I think you have misunderstood what I said.

Low metallicity is not specifically about “metals” as in chemistry. In astronomy and cosmology, it is about ALL heavy elements apart from hydrogen and helium.

The point was not about the metal content or accessibility of “metals” on planets per se. The Solar System as a whole is metal rich.

Low metallicity is about the near total absence of ALL heavy elements (ie atoms apart from hydrogen and helium) in huge areas of galaxies, where due to a historical absence of large stars going supernova (to create heavy elements), there were no heavy elements in the first place. – (Not in the stars or in the planets). So without carbon, hydrogen or nitrogen atoms, Earth type life is unlikely.

There are still billions of planets so life may be possible elsewhere on some of them.

Spreading is a potential problem with the time and distances involved. If life is widely spaced, contact could be near impossible.

Even with seriously fast craft going at a fraction of light speed, decades are involved even to reach nearby stars.
    Project Icarus (Interstellar Probe Design Study) is probably the best evaluation of investigating nearby star systems from Earth. They are considering 10% to 12% of light-speed using fusion drives.

One possible way to spread life to other stars and planets, would be to ride a planet to a new location during a galactic merger, with a bit of planet hopping into passing systems as stars and planets whizzed all over the place past each other. (This would be over centuries or millennia)

Look “before you leap” would be a good motto for anyone contemplating this. There are lots of places you would not want to be arriving at!

NASA’s Hubble Shows Milky Way is Destined for Head-On Collision

NASA astronomers announced Thursday they can now predict with certainty the next major cosmic event to affect our galaxy, sun, and solar system: the titanic collision of our Milky Way galaxy with the neighboring Andromeda galaxy.

The Milky Way is destined to get a major makeover during the encounter, which is predicted to happen four billion years from now. It is likely the sun will be flung into a new region of our galaxy, but our Earth and solar system are in no danger of being destroyed.

My personal view, is that alien visits to Earth at present and in the past, are extremely unlikely (though not totally impossible) simply because of the distances to stars. The number of visits claimed by UFO enthusiasts and conspiracy theorists, IS totally impossible.

If alien life forms had visited Earth, there should be biological or technological traces of them.

• 49
    Alan4discussion says:

In reply to #48 by Alan4discussion:

sorry about the – Error:-

So without carbon, hydrogen or nitrogen atoms, Earth type life is unlikely.

This line should read:-

So without carbon, oxygen or nitrogen atoms, Earth type life is unlikely.