24 comments on “Richard Dawkins personal Twitter account now has over 750,000 followers

• 1
    Fouad Boussetta says:

That’s just great. And Twitter is just great.

But since I had a few bad attacks of information overload, I now only follow 7 individuals, all of whom tweet exceedingly rarely:
    Daniel Dennett, Jonathan Haidt, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Steven Pinker, Michel Onfray, Caroline Fourest, and Sam Harris.
    Sam Harris tends to retweet “the best of” this website.

This gives me more time to enjoy the summer outdoors!!!

• 6
    Peter Grant says:

Congrats and all that, but just to put this in perspective the above figure is still less than 10% of what it could and, I feel, it ought to be.

Love how you’ve integrated Richard’s feed into the home page! If I might make a suggestion, how about some retweet buttons?

• 7
    misseliza99 says:

I’m afraid I’m out of the whole Twitter loop, but I was enjoying the little exchange regarding The Banana Man. I love how he portrays Dr. Dawkins’ comments as if they are obviously inherently bad with this “gotcha” attitude when they are obviously sensible and intelligent comments if you’re a sensible and intelligent person. And I see that the interviews in his little film are going to be the typical YouTube-type representation of “expert stumped by creationist” where the expert has been asked an utterly idiotic question and pauses with a look of absolute incredulity thinking, “Where the hell am I supposed to begin trying to address this foolishness?” My “faith” in evolution is going to be “shaken” by this fatuous twaddle? Hilarious!

• 9
    Katy Cordeth says:

Climbing Mount Improbable my most under-rated book. I think it’s ideally suited to be e-book with animations etc. Or would that be an app?

Grateful I don’t twitter. Even those one admires can come across as arrogant. Must be the format. Please let it be the format. How many letters remain?

• 10
    Red Dog says:

I follow Richard on my Twitter account but I almost never look at Twitter period. I tried it because I like technology and I felt I should try it myself before saying it useless but I’ve tried it and still think its useless at least for me. I wish there was a place on the site (like what sites such as crooksandliars.com has an Open Thread every day) where those of us who don’t tweet could respond to Dawkins tweets. There was a tweet he made a while ago asking about development on Android and iPad that I wanted to reply to but I realized there was no way I could leave a meaningful comment in 120 chars.

• 11
    Red Dog says:

Any progress on the bug that lets us edit other people’s comments? I tried it last night and I can still do it. IMO that is a really serious error. And I hate to say I told you so but… OK I’m kind of enjoying it.. I did say at the time RD.net decided to custom code their own version of Disqus that the potential problems aren’t worth the effort and risk and that in the long term a relatively small site like this is much better off sticking with an off the shelf approach rather than custom code. IMO this is a clear example of that.

• 12
    Red Dog says:

In reply to #10 by Katy Cordeth:

I feel exactly the same. I look at some of the things Richard is tweeting and just shake my head. I mean they are more intelligent than 99% of most tweets but still not worthy of someone with his intellect. He’s having dumb little arguments about the meaning of words and things like that. I did like the recent article on bats hearing colors, more like that and less (zero) tweets would be my vote.

• 13
    Katy Cordeth says:

In reply to #12 by Red Dog:

There’s a bug that lets us edit other people’s comments? Finally an explanation why so many of mine sound perfectly sensible when I post them but utterly inane the day after. I thought it was the pot!

How do you do it, Red Dog?

• 15
    Red Dog says:

In reply to #15 by justinesaracen:

Reading Richard’s tweets is a great way to collect pithy one-liners to counter stupid theist arguments.

What most people consider “pithy one liners” I usually consider less stupid replies to arguments so stupid there is no need to take them seriously in the first place. That is one of the reasons I don’t like Twitter. I think it brings everyone down to the lowest common denominator. Dawkins, IMO, is lowering himself to the same level as Kanye West.

• 16
    bluebird says:

RD: enjoyed sleeping out last night under the (few) stars – patrolling helicopters – loud dawn chorus: blackbirds, songthrush, wrens

Now that’s a tweet, short and sweet. My response (if I had twitter): a trio of katydids, cicadas, and tree frogs pierce the hot days and evenings, to my ear’s delight.

• 17
    QuestioningKat says:

In reply to #15 by justinesaracen:

“So many people don’t understand the difference between opinions and facts. You can have your own opinions, but you can’t have your own facts.” Ricky Gervais’ tweet

• 18
    sidney.eu.5 says:

I follow Richard on my Twitter account but I almost never look at Twitter period. I tried it because I like technology and I felt I should try it myself before saying it useless but I’ve tried it and still think its useless at least for..

• 20
    Dino-the-Atheist says:

lol i agree about the banana man trailer ,watched it and thought it was really immature. waiting to watch the full video,want to see if there is any intelligent arguments there or just retarded questions followed by the utter shock response .
    In reply to #7 by misseliza99:

• In reply to #3 by memetical:

Dear RDFR’s. What exactly is “Twitter” for? 🙂 Bullying, paedophilia, 21+ BDSM Role-play, terrorism, pop-stars, kids, news, police, and solipsistic twitter use

• In reply to #4 by Katy Cordeth:
    Hi Katy, Richard is complicit in a paedophilia cover-up, and now he has become a suspect, he will feature in my book and movies.

• In reply to #23 by NSPCC:

In reply to #4 by Katy Cordeth:
    All his followers are too, and all the members here, except me. Urge Richard to act.