Discussion by: poseyjtI was thinking the other day about science fiction/science and our future as a human species. Already so much is possible if we just put our faith in God, :p jk had to throw that in there to get a rise out of some of you… Already so much is possible through science, heart transplants, antibiotics etc etc etc.
As technology improves I see some possibilities for our future baring a comet, or increased resistance to science from religious nuts etc. Assuming all goes well, I think we will have 4 probable outcomes which all may become options.
1. They idea not to mess with “nature” etc.
2. Improved health through medicine, replacing organs, and eventually improving on them, and possibly being able to clean up cells and slow or reverse aging.
3. More like and android body type idea, extra strong etc better than our current muscles
4. Uploading our “selves” into a matrix like computer. As there is no super-natural imho i think “we” will be able to be duplicated at some point down the line.
So to my questions, one hopefully fun, and one hopefully thought provoking. I came to something of a conclusion for the second but would like to hear other thoughts. Tried this with my family but some are still religious and spirit kept coming out as an answer.
1. Which would you chose or prefer? And yes some of them overlap 🙂
2. Especially in 3,4 would we cease to be ourselves and become something else? I’m mainly asking of the moment of say uploading “me” into the computer, or putting my brain (and whatever other necessary parts) in the new super android body?
I think it’s interesting as to what makes us, us. As to my answers i came up with i think a natural progression would be from 2 to 3 to 4 possibly able to jump back and forth between 3,4. As for my thoughts on my second question. I think we are literally changing into a different person every instant anyway. Our thoughts change and evolve, we learn, we forget, and our bodies change, we get older, our atoms are swapped out etc. and yet we still consider “us” “self”. I’m guessing I would be me, and yet changed just like is happening now.