0 comments on “BBC Origins of Us, Part 1 of 3 – Bones HDTV – Dr Alice Roberts

• The evidence-driven stories that Science tells are always rich, fascinating, enthralling and mysterious (mysterious in the awe-inspiring, spine-tingling-way of a good adventure novel or spy thriller). Which makes me wonder why I never became a scientist. Damn it!

• 3
    Blasphemyman says:

The BBC has recruited a team of amazingly communicative scientists to formulate science program’s that are gripping!
    These people seem to have motivated a movement where science has become attractive to ambitious youngsters.
    It will be interesting to know what economic effect this has in the UK?
    They are certainly very popular in Australia.

• In reply to #1 by RDfan:

I am always amazed there are institutions willing to fund paleontologists. At least among young people there are far more want-to-be paleontologists than there are positions.

• What a delight! There was so much new information. I liked the way they presented it in puzzle-solution format, constantly tweaking your curiosity. The narrator has a perfect voice for such a documentary, clear, mellifluous, intelligent sounding. Thanks for posting this.

• 7
    Alan4discussion says:

In reply to #3 by Blasphemyman:

It will be interesting to know what economic effect this has in the UK?

There have also been some splendid BBC contributions from Brian Cox and Dara O’Briain’s Science Club .

• 8
    Light Wave says:

I have a solid memory of watching BBC programmes on TV for 3 decades……all helping to form my rational mind and inspire me with wonder about life and diversity etc – all contributing to form the logical Atheist in me, covering natural history, geology, archaeology, world history and the Universe – they are so well researched and explained by great scientists like David Attenborough, Ian Stewart, Brian Cox, Robert Winston, Alice Roberts etc -these kinds of informative programmes have offered people in Britain and whoever else watches them in the world a well balanced understanding of Nature, Earth, Humans and our actual history (as opposed to what millions are wrongly taught)…this quality of evidence based science helps us all discern what is un biased reality and gives us a recognisable threshold of truth and quality, below which we should not accept as truth – we know better if historical claims are possibly being made up…without evidence…..Like altered or biased versions of history that many people are taught to believe….

• In reply to #6 by Roedy:

Her Wikipedia entry says she’s a MD with other science expertise to her name, too.

• 10
    Stafford Gordon says:

Get a load of this you soppy creationists; your made up stories are insipid anaemic drivel, incomparable to the truth, which is what science reveals.

Now, at last there are a host of excellent expositors disseminating knowledge from the many different scientific disciplines, and I for one am delighted and excited by it.

Given time I think that religion will simply wither away, and whither it withers I don’t give a toss just as long as we can be rid of it.

• 11
    jjbircham says:

The Incredible Human Journey, another BBC series presented by Alice Roberts is also a great watch. I am sure I don’t need to mention it these days with google etc, but if you haven’t followed the related videos on you tube it’s well worth the effort. You can brush up on your Portugese with the subtitles at the same time. (on the youtube upload I’ve just watched at least)

• 12
    AULhall says:

I’ve been an admirer of Dr. Alice Roberts’ work for some time. Her television programs are always wonderfully presented and packed with new and interesting information.

• 13
    paulmcuk says:

I was going to mention The Incredible Human Journey myself. A fascinating series presented with both knowledge and enthusiasm.

In reply to #11 by jjbircham:

• 14
    bob_e_s says:

The BBC seems to churn out engaging and beautifully shot television programmes on science and nature pretty much constantly. I count myself very lucky they continue to regard science programming as a high priority.

• 15
    Zeuglodon says:

In reply to #14 by bob_e_s:

Which makes me wonder why they also produced that program on teen exorcists recently.

• 16
    bob_e_s says:

In reply to #15 by Zeuglodon:

Which makes me wonder why they also produced that program…

Yes, agreed. Can’t comment though because, obviously, I didn’t watch it.
    But then I don’t have to watch Eastenders to know it’s fiction…

• 17
    Zeuglodon says:

In reply to #16 by bob_e_s:

In reply to #15 by Zeuglodon:

Which makes me wonder why they also produced that program…

Yes, agreed. Can’t comment though because, obviously, I didn’t watch it.
    But then I don’t have to watch Eastenders to know it’s fiction…

I watched some of it. I had been open to watching more, but I found that what little of it I watched was neither entertaining nor intellectually credible.

Origins of Us I remember watching way back, and I really liked it. My personal favourite episode was the third one on brains, but then I’ve always liked works about my favourite organ. 😉

• 18
    bob_e_s says:

In reply to #17 by Zeuglodon:
    Slightly off subject, but just to vent a little, my wife was offered tickets for us to go and see Sir David Attenborough speak tomorrow night, but didn’t check her email and so we missed out. Gutted. that’s all.