Sep 9, 2013

Freedom of belief doesn't appear to be important to Fox News host Dana Perino, who suggested that if atheists don't like having "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance, well, "they don't have to live here."

Massachusetts' highest court is currently hearing a case against the Pledge brought by atheist parents, who feel that due to its religious wording, atheist children "are denied meaningful participation in this patriotic exercise." The case specifically involves the phrase, "under God," which was not actually a part of the original phrasing of the Pledge.

Regarding atheists, Perino said during a live segment, "I'm tired of them."

Written By: Yasmine Hafiz
continue to source article at huffingtonpost.com

0 comments on “Dana Perino Is ‘Tired Of Atheists’; Fox News Host Says ‘They Don’t Have To Live Here’ (VIDEO)

• Why should they [atheists/ or insert any religious belief here] be catered to? Why are they so special? […] I find it offensive that a few people…these children are pawns in their parents’ political statements and beliefs; to try and enforce it on everybody else and inflict their belief system; it’s incredibly selfish; it’s small-minded; and I don’t think the courts should cater to them; there is no good reason to do so.

Yup, couldn’t agree more.

However, it seems that she is so wrapped up in her own sense of righteousness to realize that her statement actually argues in favor of a secular state, not against it. Religion can warp the mind.

• Bill Maher can never do better than this:

‘This is one of the countries where you don’t get killed.’ if you are an atheist.

‘Atheists are trying to enforce and inflict their belief system on everybody else.’

• You could apply that argument more widely.
    Environmentalists don’t like pollutants dumped into rivers. Perino does. She counts. They don’t. They can move if they don’t like it.

Women don’t like being unable to go out at night alone. Rapists do. Rapists count. Women don’t. Women can move if they don’t like it.

This is the argument of a spoiled four year old.

• 5
    squeegee says:

If ever we needed reminding of the importance of the separation of church and state then this is it. What a bunch of narrow minded, unthinking, vitriolic humans. Everything they said supported the argument for the removal of the God clause and the best part was that these buffoons are too indoctrinated to see it. I shudder to imagine a world run by people like this. To think that these Fox news ” personalities” are on the more moderate [compared to some of the US population] side of bigotry is chilling.

• 6
    NearlyNakedApe says:

Hmm… Ok, how to best spend my free time for the next hour or so… Should I…

A) Listen to Fox News’ “The Five” hosts talk garbage?

B) Listen to my stomach’s digestion with a stethoscope?

I think I’ll go with B. Not exactly fun but at least THAT’s bearable.

• 7
    Christiana Magdalene Moodley says:

These faithheads are unable to see things from any other perspective but their own. Insular, smallminded, bigoted.

I don’t suppose it ever occurs to them that it should be the other way around and atheists, at the mercy of the faithful for centuries are entitled to be tired of being harassed by the Xtians.

Well these blinkered folk had better learn to suck it up.They ain’t seen nothin yet!!

• 8
    This Is Not A Meme says:

This clip is exemplary of the echo-chamber. I actually started to become slightly disoriented by the end of the video from the sustained inanity and featureless repetition. It’s pretty psychedelic, and not to be taken lightly. FOX is at forefront of propaganda technology, the shameless whoring of their audience. I would not be surprised if every word were scripted in order to provide talking points to audience of parrots, like at 1:30 where it’s asked if “under God” was added (an important fact as atheists want to restore the pledge to its original secular tone, after it was desecrated during scourge of McCarthyism). People watch FOX to feel powerful. It feeds egoism and the messianic complex. That’s the actual product they deliver, as opposed to news.

Not to sound unkind, but I think their target audience is the sick, demented, and feeble-minded… as old people tend to be. They are whispering madness into our grandparents’ ears. I resent them as abusers of the elderly. Old people actually get scared and think Obama is a communist and terrorist. They fill old people with an impending sense of doom, and play on their naivete. FOX is a sleek, sophisticated, malevolent, predatory, mindraper, the closest thing we have to brainwashing in mass media, and their target is old people. FOX just another disgrace in how society treats its elderly.

Which is apropos because Murdoch has lost his mind and now the machine he built is running on autopilot. Kinda reminds me of Blade Runner.

• 9
    Aaron O says:

Fox news and CNN should be banned from broadcast. They are absolutely responsible for the Dumbing down of America. McCarthyism was used to religiously root out the communists. It was completely wrong to begin with. Fox and CNN have been used to re-establish the narrow mindedness of those who can’t think for themselves and re-instate the McCarthy agenda. It is the uneducated teaching the uneducated. This woman believes America was founded by those of the Christian faith when in reality it was founded by Deist Masons who did everything they could to prevent the perversion of a Constitutional Republic with religious ideals.Where the church is removed from power and anyone associated with a church should have no power. But as we can see that has all changed in the past 70 years. As the increase in faith based government has come to rule our lives. It’s time to shut these religious bastards down. News should be reported. Not commented on. The time of the Fox and CNN round tables should be done.

• If you leave out under god, you have a pledge perfectly meaningful to both believer and atheist alike. If you put it in, you exclude the non-believer part of you population. The constitution says the government should not impose religious beliefs. What do you think this is?
    It is saying to pledge allegiance to the country you must vow that you believe a deity exists. An atheist cannot become a citizen unless they are willing to pretend to be a believer. That makes a mockery of the whole pledge if part of it is a lie.

• 12
    Sample says:

Of course this is a type of State sanctioned religious indoctrination. If you don’t believe me, then replacing God with Allah, Krishna, or Zeus shouldn’t matter to people who watch Fox.

Mike

• 13
    Booska says:

Of course Atheists don’t HAVE to live here. But one of the great things about the U.S. is that you have the freedom to stay even if you don’t have the same opinions as those who would have you move somewhere else.

• “Who’s that guy / girl / whatever… And why would anyone care what Fox bell-ends have to say.”

That’s usually my take when I hear ‘Fox News’ / ‘Daily Mail’, or any News circus act. They usually do a good job undermining their own argument, but then again, their audience is usually none the wiser.

• 15
    Alan4discussion says:

Dana Perino Is ‘Tired Of Atheists’; Fox News Host Says ‘They Don’t Have To Live Here.

Most educated people are tired of Faux News, and its media muppets who gave up living in the real world in favour of living in sponsorship-fairy-land, a long time ago.

• 16
    achromat666 says:

So any atheists born into the country (which is every child born) or having escaped the shackles of religion simply has the option to leave simply because they know the under god section of the pledge of allegiance is BS? Is this more of that oh so wonderful Christian love I’m always hearing so much about?

But yes, I’m loathe to put the words ‘Fox’ and ‘news’ together in any sentence for reasons like this and sadly much much worse.

Additionally is there any reason why I should care who Dana Perino is, much less what she thinks about a group of people she clearly knows nothing about? Because I can’t think of any.

• 17
    Mr DArcy says:

When I look at the likes of Dana Perino, I’m actually quite enjoying my new found status as a bogeyman !

Also it’s nice not to live anywhere near her !

• 18
    Stafford Gordon says:

Oh goody! I’m always glad to have grist added to my mill.

Were I an Amerian citizen my answer to her and others of her ilk would simply be that since the USA has a secular constitution it’s not for secularists to leave the country; nod nod, wink wink! You get my drift?

• 19
    N_Ellis says:

How long I wonder until “They don’t have to live here”, becomes “They don’t have to live” (just like Saudi Arabia or Iran)?

I’m guessing it will be the day after they achieve their aim of turning their country into a theocracy (just like Saudi Arabia or Iran).

It will also be the day their country loses forever all the things that are in any way good or admirable and the day it stops being a free country.

They say you never truly appreciate what you have until you lose it, so I hope they never come to appreciate what they have.

They claim to love their country, but if that were true they wouldn’t want to destroy it. The truth is that they hate their country, specifically because it won’t let them impose their dogma on everyone. They literally are the spiritual heirs of the Pilgrim Fathers

• 21
    Zontor says:

I oft times wonder why the ill-logic of the argument escapes those who make the argument. If you don’t like what atheists say move to another country, isn’t that an extension of her own reasoning?

• 23
    JPatrick says:

LOL best part was when the one guy asked “Do you know if under god has always been there or was it added in?”

The reply was “I think it was added in, but it doesn’t matter.”

HAHAHAHA Complete and Utter Intelectual Depravity

• 24
    Peter Grant says:

Why are they [atheists] so special?

We lack the crazy religious “belief system” you are discriminating against children based upon.

Some of us also lack your nationalistic idealism and find the idea of schoolchildren reciting any “Pledge of Allegiance” rather creepy, but hey, at least it’s legal…

• 25
    sgturner59 says:

Dana is tired of us? Well isn’t that special. I’m tired of being told who I can and cannot marry because of religious reasoning in the world’s oldest constitutional democracy. I’m tired of being told that I’m immoral because I don’t believe in in an invisible and bloodthirsty middle eastern deity. I’m tired of Fox News being considered newsworthy. I’m tired of biblical illiterates telling me they love the Bible. I’m tired or right-wing Christians who have about as much capacity for self-reflection and empathy as earthworms.

• 26
    Mr DArcy says:

There again if these people won’t stand up for Jesus, who will ?

Certainly not Jesus ! Dead for 2000 years and incapable of anything !

• 27
    bluebird says:

In reply to #18 by Stafford Gordon:

Were I an Amerian citizen my answer to her and others of her ilk…

• 28
    Stafford Gordon says:

In reply to #27 by bluebird:

In reply to #18 by Stafford Gordon:Were I an Amerian citizen my answer to her and others of her ilk…Admirable restraint, but, I would challenge them to say that to my tax-paying face, then suggest they personally thank First Nation people for not kicking them off North American soil.

Yes, well that’s another way of putting it I suppose; I’m gratified that you accept my “Lymey” comment.

• 29
    rocket888 says:

In a (so called) free country nobody should have to pledge allegiance to any flags whether under god, zeus, baal, or obama. And speaking of obama, he should give back his peace prize and let them give it to Snowden and the Guardian.

The religion controversy is just a distraction – if only that were all that was wrong with this pledge to the government – like being good little Nazis.

• 31
    Alan4discussion says:

Regarding atheists, Perino said during a live segment, “I’m tired of them.”

Any requirement for depth of thought is clearly tiring for Foxists! Spoon-fed superficiality rules the Fox air-waves!

• 32
    achromat666 says:

This is the most disturbing aspect of this story to me: not the fact that someone like Dana Perino feels it at all necessary to parrot the views of this organization, but that there’s even a remote chance that someone would be willing to take it seriously.

That the facts actually support the position against ‘under god’ being in the pledge (which I agree is unnecessary) as they were added in after the fact are apparently meaningless to this person or to Fox. The fact that they wish to persist in promoting the numerous falsehoods about ways of thinking that don’t share their distorted myopia being evil and unamerican is sadly only part of the game. It’s the fact that there are people that watch it and take them at their word. Despite all evidence against most of their claims, against all reason and logic.

Sadly it’s just another stop on the long misinformation highway that is fox news…

• Unfortunately, what most of the public hears about atheists is in stories about how some religious monument is being removed from public property, or other push-back against religion. We need to think of way in which the public could come to understand that atheists are all among them as their friends, family and neighbors, doing ordinary things. But the ordinary, by definition, is not news.

• 36
    aquilacane says:

So what happens when a kid refuses to say the pledge? That sounds like exactly the sort of thing I would have shit all over as a kid.

• 37
    Sheepdog says:

How can this idiot, this indoctrinated moron, criticise atheist parents for “indoctrinating their children,” a deep evil in her il informed opinion?

How does she think the children of theists come by their belief in fairy tales if not by, in most cases, indoctrination by their parents?

• 38
    Alan4discussion says:

In reply to #37 by Sheepdog:

Thinking is not much of a feature in Fox presenters! Parroting spoon-fed opinions is more their style!

.. .. .. A bit like her old boss Bush and his search for , “weapons of mass destruction”!

• 39
    crookedshoes says:

In our district, we have had a law suit fought over this very ideal. The student would not pledge, the teacher was gung ho —- like “dammit you WILL pledge”… It went to court and the kid was allowed to sit quietly during the ritual. Both sides claimed victory.
    The kid because he didn’t have to pledge.
    The school because they didn’t have to pay him.
    The loser was the tax payer who footed the bill for the entire enterprise (and would have footed the bill for any award the kid received).

In reply to #36 by aquilacane:

• 40
    aquilacane says:

In reply to #39 by crookedshoes:

The kid because he didn’t have to…

It went to court? That’s crazy and also wouldn’t matter. I still wouldn’t say it, even if I lost in court. What are they seriously going to do; Send a kid to jail or go after the parents?

• 41
    Jeffinoh says:

Wow. I sometimes forget how blindly some Americans tend to defend the notion of God. It should not surprise anyone that Fox basically endorses Christianity and sees all other thought as the enemy.