Nigerian Student ‘Uses Science To Prove Gay Marriage Is Wrong’

Sep 16, 2013

A student in Nigeria is claiming he can prove gay marriage is wrong through science – and his scientific "breakthrough" is backed by his university.

Chibuihem Amalaha, who has won awards in his country for reporting on energy science and featured on various national television stations, says he used a magnet experiment to prove homosexuality is "improper".

Amalaha says his "groundbreaking" experiments show the north and south poles of two magnets are attracted to each other while same poles repel each other.

He concludes this “means that man cannot attract another man because they are the same, and a woman should not attract a woman because they are the same. That is how I used physics to prove gay marriage wrong".

Amalaha's "research" has been commended by the University of Lagos, where he is a postgraduate student, and has been told by lecturers he will "win a Nobel prize one day". The interview with the student was published on Nigerian website This Day Live, where his findings appear to be presented as fact.

Written By: Lucy Sherriff
continue to source article at huffingtonpost.co.uk

0 comments on “Nigerian Student ‘Uses Science To Prove Gay Marriage Is Wrong’

• 1
    Mormon Atheist says:

Is this article real? Because I can’t even begin to see how someone could do a legitimate article on this trash. At least they put it in the correct category of pseudoscience.

• 3
    Scepticon says:

This guy is a postgrad?
    If this was a, say, 8 year old I’d think it was cute if misguided. A grown man attending university….someone owes him an apology for making him think he has an education.

• 4
    IDLERACER says:

Not all that shocking coming from a country that holds the record for sending the most amount of E-mails that wind up in the spam folders of people in other countries.

• 5
    alaskansee says:

It’s true and it works with race, not just gender, whites attract blacks and blacks attract whites but never will blacks be attracted to Chibuihem Amalaha.

Perhaps it works for intelligence too…

• 6
    Cairsley says:

The term ‘magnetism’ is used figuratively for attractions between people, but one would have expected a postgraduate student, not to mention the university faculty, to know the difference between that and the primary meaning of the word. I honestly have difficulty believing that some people can be quite so stupid.

• Ouch! The facepalming that results from reading an article like this really hurts.

I wonder how long his research paper was? Did it fit on one post-it note, or did he have to use two?

• Congratulations Mr Amalaha for being a sure-fire candidate for next year’s Ignobel prise. Such staunch stupidity in the face of facts deserves its just rewards.

I’d like to know how, in the history of people trying to distort science, could such an elegant experiment have been missed? Could it be that even amongst Nazis and the Catholic Church there weren’t bigots stupid enough to believe people would confuse magnetism with human sexual attraction?

That makes you a very special kind of stupid Mr Amalaha and makes a notable contribution to Nigeria’s reputation for being a complete fucking basket case.

Congratulations.

• 12
    Zeuglodon says:

He concludes this “means that man cannot attract another man because they are the same, and a woman should not attract a woman because they are the same. That is how I used physics to prove gay marriage wrong”.

Please tell me this is a satire.

• 16
    Sjoerd Westenborg says:

The rollercoaster that is my faith in humanity just took a deep dive and as a result the contents of my stomach came back up.

• 18
    Flapjack says:

It’s Insane Clown Posse all over again.
    Actually worse, cause at least the Insane Clown posse had enough humility to admit they didn’t understand how magnets work and hopefully wouldn’t confuse heavy handed metaphor with an empirical study of human sexuality.

It takes a special kind of dumb to make the Insane Clown Posse look like Nobel prize physicists by comparison.

• 20
    SaganTheCat says:

well to me man and woman are kinda similar, hardly opposite. there is no opposite to man but maybe all that matters is the level of difference between them in which case go for something from a different species, better yet different biological kingdom

Therefore all his experiment has proved to me is that he really should go fuck himself with marrow

• 21
    SaganTheCat says:

In reply to #11 by Reckless Monkey:

Maybe the homosexuals have discovered the elusive dipole magnet.

or maybe everyone,s just “a bit of both”?

I have a very clever experiment that demonstrates how 2 north poles attract whil a north and south repel. it’s all in the labeling

• 23
    TrickyDicky says:

In reply to #2 by kraut:

The quality of academic education in Nigeria seems to be consistent with the political idiocies that country seems to revel in.

Having managed someone with a degree from the University of Lagos I must agree, shades of the old “BA Calcutta (Failed)”.

• 25
    Steve_M says:

And now his works have earned him the respect in the world of science. He said: “At the University of Lagos where I currently study as a student you will find my publication on the notice board there. When you go to the Senate Building of the university you will see the same notice there and even recently my lecturer at the Department of Chemical Engineering, Profesor D.S.Aribuike pointedly told me that I will win Nobel prize one day, because he found that my works are real and nobody has done it in any part of the world.

So posting your publication on a University of Lagos notice board (and presumably not seeing it instantly removed and thrown in the bin) now qualifies as respect from the world of science? Is this guy for real or is this an example of Nigerian humour? The article would almost be funny if it wasn’t so pathetic.

• I checked the University of Lagos website since I sincerely doubt the validity of such an article. No article was found in their recent or archived media reports. In the department of chemistry, I could not locate ‘Professor D.S.Aribuike’ in their directory. The student ‘Chibuihem Amalaha’ did not register in any search.

• 32
    foundationist says:

In reply to #19 by Stevehill:

Well bugger me!

I would, but nature won’t allow it. There was a scientific paper to that end recently…..

• In reply to #8 by Aztek:

Not sure, but I hope the post-it notes were not of the same colour. 😀

• 34
    Vorlund says:

Is there a nobel category for arch stupidity?

I had a similar explanation from a school chaplain using bits of paper torn to the same shape so that they wouldn’t fit together. This proved that men don’t fit other men and so on. I remember thinking he’d lost the plot way before then but this confirmed it. Besides his method wasn’t very scientific as it didn’t use technical stuff like magnets so it must’ve been nonsense.

• In reply to #31 by I Find Your Lack of Faith Disturbing:

It’s a bit late for April Fools, isn’t it? Either that or a weapons grade facepalm.

I guess it is becoming harder to distinguish the stupid from the satire.

Bit like the new science versus old magic thought experiment, but with the added benefit of loosing a few IQ points, and your hope in humanity in the process.

• 36
    crookedshoes says:

I was talking to an idiot the other day, too. He was going on about these types of non-sensical relationships and how they “proved” things…. Anyway, forgive me for the cheapness of my comments to him but, I showed him that DARWIN is an anagram for “INWARD” and told him that he had to look inward to find the answers regarding evolution.

HE BOUGHT IT. SHame on me, shame shame shame.

• 37
    stuhillman says:

Ooooh. I like it though!

In reply to #36 by crookedshoes:

• 38
    stuhillman says:

In reply to #18 by Flapjack:

It’s Insane Clown Posse all over again.

Insane Clown Posse eh? So I Googled them. Horrorcore hiphop/rap and wrestling.
    Who new? I must have led a very sheltered life.

• Humans are not as simple as magnets. Not all pairs of M-F in humans attract, though all N-S magnets do. They don’t behave the same, so how magnets behave is irrelevant.

If you push two magentised bars together that don’t “want” to be together, no about of coersion will change the magnet’s minds.

Similarly with humans.

• 42
    mjhudston says:

I remember reading a similar Satire article some time ago, when Civil Partnerships were first being discussed here in the UK. As a bit of Satire I found it mildly amusing, but coming from a so called Post Grad, it could be quite scary, especially if he goes on to designing rockets or bridges or gets involed in medical science. Maybe he will try to cure cancer with magnets next. (Oh but i think I’ve read thats already been done too)