Merry Hitchmas

Dec 25, 2013

Need a smile on Christmas? Remember atheist speaker Christopher Hitchens.

Let's start a new tradition: honoring Christopher Hitchens during Christmas week, the time of the year when atheists feel the most embattled and the most need a hero.

His precise use of language steamrolled his opponents, not through oratory, but by being so clearly in the right.

Search 'Hitchslap' on YouTube to see Christopher fight for reason. If you haven't seen them, you are in for a treat!

What are your favorite Hitchens or Hitchens-like quotes? How do we absolutely nail the argument for reason and science in as few words as possible?

Add your comments!

Written By: RDFRS
continue to source article at youtube.com

25 comments on “Merry Hitchmas

• 1
    64framus says:

I so miss the Hitch, as I’m sure countless many do; I find myself hoping some overlooked videos of him will appear on YouTube, as I’ve watched all that are available and I’m craving for more. There are so many favorite moments to choose from it’s difficult to pick just one, but one sentence stands out that he has used more than once – “No – I will not stand for it!”. In a way that was how I felt as a youth when a situation with a church deacon (nothing to do with pedophilia) caused me to change my view of religion and I never looked back. I thank the Hitch for galvanizing that decision. Merry Hitchmas all!

• Hi everyone! I think that Christopher Hitchens was a great mind! A valiant defender of Reason and free thinking! I was wondering if anyone had ever met him and could tell me what kind of man in everyday life he was…

• I have “I am, I hope, never offensive by accident.” tattooed on my arm.

To me, Hitch’s twist on Oscar Wilde’s quote (which is probably a spin from someone else…) reminds me to be precise in all of my actions and words, and informs the world around me that if I feel someone needs to be told something, I am absolutely willing to do it.

But it also means to be caring, and careful, and mindful of the world around me.

• One of my (many, many) favorite quotes was on the death of Jerry Falwell:

“If he were given an enema, he could be buried in a matchbox.”

• 11
    Wolf Gibbon says:

“I know what’s coming. I know no one beats these odds. It’s a matter of getting used to that. Growing up and realising that you’re expelled from your mother’s uterus as if shot from a cannon towards a barn door studded with old nail files and rusty hooks. It’s a matter of you use the intervening time in an intelligent and ironic way”. Christopher Hitchens

• “Beware the irrational, however seductive. Shun the ‘transcendent’ and all who invite you to subordinate or annihilate yourself. Distrust compassion; prefer dignity for yourself and others. Don’t be afraid to be thought arrogant or selfish. Picture all experts as if they were mammals. Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence. Suspect your own motives, and all excuses. Do not live for others any more than you would expect others to live for you.”
    ― Christopher Hitchens

• 17
    Light Wave says:

One of the many quotes of Hitch’s that appealed was

“Demands that you believe the impossible, do not lead to peaceful outcomes”
    from the Hitchens and Ramadan debate

• 18
    quarecuss says:

Boxing Day (not Xmas Day) is the real Hitchmas Day ,,, more combative.
    I quoted him in a drink-fueled discussion on free will on the recent Hitchmas-Boxing morning at about 2 a.m..
    (we were avoiding politics because of possible fights)
    The quote? “we have to have free will, we have no choice” was roundly attacked by our resident neo-con who didn’t catch the irony.
    I raised and sipped a Jamieson in Hitch’s honour anyway. (No JW Black Label on hand)

• 19
    Free Speech says:

Does somebody feel embattled? I don’t. I think I detect a little faux victim hood. If atheists start whining, as do Christians and Muslims, I’m outta here.

• 20
    Free Speech says:

In reply to #7 by kreidsy: His most excellent comment.

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”

• 21
    quarecuss says:

In reply to #19 by Free Speech:

Good riddance.
    No victimhood here. Just remembering a champion.

• 23
    Gary Chau says:

Happy New Year! My first comment on the website. While I wish I had known the man before he passed away two years ago, I am pleased to see that Christopher’s conversation will go on. He has inspired a new generation of free thinkers who will continue his legacy and fight against the ultimate wickedness and evil of this world. A good collection of Christopher’s famous lines can be found in this video, which was shown as a tribute to the Hitch at the Global Atheist Convention in 2012: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR0GyYaeI-k.

• It is impossible to pick just a single one. There are simply to many!
    The one “Sly” posted is definitely one of the best onces, and one of those I reflect on weekly.
    As well as this one:
    “I know what’s coming. I know no one beats these odds. And it’s a matter of getting used to that and growing up and realizing that you are expelled from your mother’s uterus as if shot from a cannon towards a barn door studded with old nail files and rusty hooks. It’s a matter of how you use up the intervening time in an intelligent and ironic way; and try not to do anything ghastly to your fellow creatures”

Another more simply one is his debate with Frank Turek, where Franks ask “Where does evil come from” and Hitchens without even blinking responds “Religion”.

Hitchens “cure for poverty” is also one I recleft on often:
     “The cure for poverty has a name, in fact. It’s called the empowerment of women. If you give women some control over the rate at which they reproduce, if you give them some say, take them off the animal cycle of reproduction to which nature and some religious doctrine condemns them, and then if you throw in a handful of seeds, the floor of everything in that village, not just poverty, but health and education, will increase.”

And the last and final one (There are so many more, but then I would have to search for quotes from here on to the end of days) was his debate “is the catholic church a force of good”: Where Ann Whitican says he and Stephen is the onces obsessed with sex, and Hitchens responds:
    “Those who ask confessions from other people should be willing to make one oneself.  I am obsessed with sex.  Ever since I discovered that my God-given male member was going to give me no peace, I decided to give it no rest in return.  Seems fair to me.”

This perfect mix of intelligence and arrogance is something the rest of us can only dream about achieving. I admit I was crying the day I realized he had died, unfortunately I discovered him after his death.
    Richard Dawkins was in denmark on the 16/11/19 because his book “The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution ” was released in Danish version, and I had the privilege of getting him to sign it. In my pocket I also had Hitchens “God is not great – how religion poisons everything” and I got Richard to sign that one as well, since getting the author’s autograph was not possible. As I was getting in line and walking up to Richard, I was on the the verge of breaking down in tears, and I still dont understand why!! Maybe because I was about to meet the closet thing to Hitchen I will ever see, or maybe because Hitchens words hit me so hard that I can only imagin what kind of emptyness his death must have left those closet to him.

You are dearly missed Chritsopher Hitchen – 13 April 1949 – 15 December 2011