Kenya: Al Shabaab Promoting Atheism – Wabukala

Dec 9, 2014

By Brian Otieno

“They want to remove religion from the society,” he said.

Wabukala spoke during the opening of the provincial Kenya Anglican Men’s Association conference at Shanzu Teachers Training College, Mombasa.

He said the first target is Christianity, but it will soon spread to other faiths including Islam.

“Islam will eventually be affected as it would be portrayed as a religion that supports terror,” the archbishop said.

Wabukala said religious leaders from all faiths need to come together and condemn the acts.

Read the full article by clicking the name of the source located below.

20 comments on “Kenya: Al Shabaab Promoting Atheism – Wabukala

• @OP – The Anglican Church of Kenya yesterday said the terrorist attacks in the country are part of a global war against organised religion.

“They want to remove religion from the society,” he said.

Yeh! That’s obvious in incidents like this!

Islamic terrorists hijacked a bus at gunpoint in Kenya yesterday and executed 28 passengers – including nine women – who failed a ‘Muslim test’.

The killers, who belong to the Somali group Al Shabab, ordered the passengers to recite verses from the Koran. Those who could not were shot.

All those Koran toting “atheists”!

He seems to have missed the point that jihadis have been killing Muslims who are the “wrong sort of Muslims” for years!

Eventually ??????

They certainly need to condemn terrorists, but pretending they are atheists and that faith-heads are united is pure wish thinking.

Clearly his babblings are spoken “like a true Xtian” err “true Scotsman”!

• Proof, if proof were needed, that once you believe one kind of woo you can pick up any other kind of woo and just run with it.

Even if it means bearing false witness and condemning people you have never met and which you demonsrate, by freely exposing your ignorance, you do not understand.

Even if it means parading your bigotry to the point where you withhold a love you otherwise insist that you give freely – exposing your professed humanism as a lie.

Critical Thinking bringing truth, light and justice to the World near you, now, today.

Peace to you, Brother Eliud.

• Why is it that Kenya and environs have the world’s craziest Christians? They outdo the Southern USA.

The Southern USA might be explained by the exodus of all the whackiest sects from Europe.

Did something similar happen in Kenya?

• I will give you my initial thoughts Stafford. I believe this to be a comity decision. A bunch of inexperienced people (probably men) who sat around discussing the problems that are effecting them most and this was the result. It is conceived through ignorance with no expert advise on human behaviour or social reaction or managment skills. One thing that we can get from it is that we are the biggest threat or least the easiest target in their minds. If they really believed it then they could have dealt with it through the power of prayer 😉

• Is this a plummeting of new depths of delusion, or blatant lies?

It’s one or the other.

Which ever it is it’ll fan the flames of IS and other maniacal gangs of ignorant inadequate thugs who are using religion as a front for murder, rape, theft, arson and just about every other known crime.

But wait, I’m forgetting, anything which promotes and protects religion must be good.

Religion is such a profoundly pathetic way to live life.

• @OP ACK Archbishop Eliud Wabukala said the attacks are carried out by people who want to promote atheism.

“They want to remove religion from the society,” he said.

Those “faith-interpretation- blinkers” really work!! You can look through them and believe anything!!!

..and other countries round about!

At least four people have been killed and seven injured in a double attack by female suicide bombers near a market in Kano, northern Nigeria, police say.

One blast hit a vehicle loading area at the Kantin Kwari textile market. Boko Haram militants are suspected of being behind the attacks.

Last month more than 100 people died in a gun and bomb attack during prayers at one of the biggest mosques in Kano.

Some 2,000 have died in attacks blamed on the Islamists so far this year.

AFP news agency quoted state police commissioner Adenrele Shinaba as saying the attacks had been carried out by “two young girls in hijab [Muslim headscarves].

“They came by the market and asked to be directed to a public convenience. The bombs detonated, killing them and four others,” he said.

Abdullahi Abubakar, secretary of the market traders’ syndicate, told the agency that the first bomber blew herself up near toilets at about 14:30 local time (13:30 GMT). The second attack took place shortly afterwards near another toilet block, he added.

Female suicide bombers have featured in previous Boko Haram attacks.

Trader Nura Sadiq told AFP: “I heard a huge sound coming from the back of my shop along Unity Road. I just closed the shop and tried to leave because it’s not safe.”

Kantin Kwari is the biggest textile market in Kano, where people from neighbouring states and other parts of the country come for transactions, the BBC’s Habiba Adamu reports from the capital Abuja.

The market is always jam-packed with people, our correspondent adds.

On 28 November, more than 100 people were killed in an attack on the Central Mosque in Kano.

I would suspect that the Islamic leaders are already condemning people who blow up mosques, without any need to associate with this muppet, and they are very probably much more skilled at identifying the culprits!

• There seems to be a more coherent understanding of the situation here!

Kenya is a target of global terrorism because of a combination of geographic, regional, historical, political, economic and sociocultural factors. The directcauses of terrorist attacks in Kenya are
    (1) its close ties with Israel and western countries, especially the US,
    (2) its vibrant coastal beach tourism industry that threatens local Islamic culture and,
    (3) the perception that the country‘s predominantly Christian population is an obstacle to the Islamization of Eastern Africa.
    Factors that facilitate terrorist attacks in Kenya include the country‘s
    (1) coastal geographic situation and strategic location relative to Europe, Asia, andneighboring African countries,
    (2) porous borders due to poor policing,
    (3) politically unstable neighboring countries like Somalia and Sudan, (4) a relativelyopen and multicultural society,
    (5) relatively good transport and communicationsinfrastructure and advanced regional economy,
    (6) relatively large Muslim population and,
    (7) the political and socioeconomic deprivation of the coastal population relative to the rest of the country.

• You’re probably right Olgun.

And since I wouldn’t put anything past religious mind benders, it engenders in me a very nasty notion, that this could be part of an official attempt to set up scapegoats for their infantile stupidity.

Now, bearing that thought in mind, and given that the camera almost invariably lies, just for fun, superimpose on that idea the facial expression of Archbishop Eluid Wabukala.

What might he be thinking? Is that a benign smile? Or, a faintly manic, rictus grin? What’s going on behind those eyes?

Who knows; scary!

• The problem I have with doing that is, I worked in the flat in Chingford of a schizophrenic lady that looked just like him, the upper part of his face anyway, nose up. The eyes are almost exact. I spent about an hour and a half there and all the time I could hear her talking. I thought she was on the phone. I found out she was talking to the voices in her head and it was not just someone talking to herself it was real voices. She kept being interrupted and had to answer what ever question came half way through whatever she was saying just like you would on the phone. “Yes but what could I….you can’t say that. It is blasphemous to do that to a……no I am not saying it. Its in the gospels and comes from god. I feel as if I ha……….You make me so angry when you say that..”etc..I finished my job but had to wait to tell her how to use the system but she was still on the “Phone”. In the end I felt I had to interrupt and when I went into her living room she was just standing there talking to herself. She stopped when I asked if I could just show her the system and she listened and even asked a few questions to clarify. She let me out with a “God bless” and as soon as the door was closed she started again. I listened for a few seconds more and left. And no, she did not have a blue tooth earphone. The stupid supervisor, who sent me there in the first place, told me that I should not have gone on my own.

So all I can see when I look at that photos is a man with voices in his head.

• We, including those here, tend to think of the religions we hear so much about as being different, and see conflicts, such as those between Sunni and Shiite Muslims as conflicts between sects within a particular religion.

I think this view is short sighted. In fact, the three major religions in the world today, Christianity, Islam, and Judaism are nothing more than sects of the single religion that worships the Abrahamic god Yahweh.

There is a commonality in the devotion to and worship of Yahweh that results in political expansion and domination, and utter intolerance of each other, far more than in the other religions it has displaced along the way. There is little difference in the manifestation of this between these three sects. The only real difference is in the dates that their respective atrocities occurred. Christianity has behaved just as badly (Jan Hus, the Inquisition etc etc etc) as IS is behaving currently, and the record of Judaism in the old testament and currently in Palestine speaks for itself.

The real enemy to human advancement, and the epitome of barbarism, is not Islam, not Christianity, not Judaism but rather the nastiest bloody god we have ever invented, and that all three sects worship, Yahweh. Were I to believe in a Satan, I would see him in disguised in the robes of Yahweh, rejoicing in the strategy of divide and conquer.

No matter which of these three sects were ever to achieve its aim, global domination, the real winner would be the bloodiest god ever.

This fight, and it is a fight, should be taken to its source, and all three sects, and their mutual and despicable god be recognized for what they are, humanities ultimate enemy.

• Hi Stafford,

… delusion, or blatant lies?

While I find it difficult to believe that an Anglican Archbishop operates on delusion for more than an hour or so a day, I can’t rule that out. On the balance of probabilities, then, I think it’s a pretty safe bet that this pronouncement is political – deliberate – in nature.

All organised religions are essentially political. The evidence strongly supports the notion that this is, in fact, the main reason that religious people (as many would phrase it: ‘spiritual people’) gather into groups – in order to leverage their collective strength (Karl Marx eat your heart out). The exploitation of followers by leaders is a given. Nevertheless, it would be naive to imagine all the influence is one way.

To cut to the chase: Brother Eliud may feel that his hand is forced. In the high-pressure religious atmosphere that appears to be the norm in most of Africa, religions give a strong impression of trying to out-compete each other.

Given that all organised religions are about them & us to some degree competing has to include finding people to victimise.

A tentative suggestion: We should borrow a response from Christians. When confronted with something they don’t like, and can do nothing about, Christians will complain, then say “But I forgive you”.

This is very annoying. Many Christians think that others are annoyed by this response because it undermines the passion, and counters the arguments of, those who are annoying them.

In reality it is, of course, annoying because it is a transparent attempt to claim the moral high ground on nothing more substantial than hurt feelings. It is also, frequently, disingenuous, high-handed, dishonest and intellectually vacuous.

But why can’t we also claim the moral high ground – at least sometimes?

For one thing; Humanists, Atheists and Secularists are clearly morally superior on many issues. We should be telling people that to their faces, not sitting in a corner thinking to ourselves how right we are.

My own earlier post was a rather crack-handed attempt at exactly this tactic. Brother Eliud, by his title and choice of employment, tells us that he believes himself to be morally superior, intellectually superior, spiritually superior (whatever that might mean) and socially superior. His proclamation also tells us he believes this also sets him above the rest of us proles politically.

I DON’T CARE if Brother Eliud believes himself to be the next Messiah by delusion, or choice. When he enters the political sphere the gloves come off!

On the other hand, antagonism wins no converts (or de-converts).

Forgiveness. Passive-aggressive, yes. But also a good way, if presented properly, of saying: Please think about what your saying.

Brother Eliud may be under pressure to build bridges to fellow religions – while thinking about retaining his own membership and opportunities to grow his sect. BUT, if he wants to do that while also standing on a World stage where critical thinking and secularism are the fastest growing influences … he needs to up his game.

Peace.

• An excellent distillation and analysis JC Sheepdog.

I’m re-reading God is not Great, which is re-awakening my feeling of astonishment that anyone could possibly believe any of it.

The only reason I can think of is that the mind of the child has to be taken over at as early an age as possible for these absurd notions to take hold for life.

It causes arrested development in our offspring by creating fear in them, thus damaging the one faculty which distinguishes us from all other animals, the power to think and reason freely; and in damaging our children we hinder progress and jeopardize our very future.

Religion is the worst self-inflicted wound humanity suffers.

• 20
    juwakali says:

I was born in Kenya and I am surprised by this comment at the same time I am also excited, and worried. East Africa has no tolerance for atheists so that they are not that many who are openly atheist. I’m curious though, what happened to the bishop. Someone must have made him see that his religion is no different from that of the terrorists. Someone (I’m hoping his fellow Kenyan) made him see that he is part of this cold blooded killing machine. I’m reminded of a debate where Christopher Hitchens tore apart another African bishop in a debate. It brought tears to my eyes so much so that I plan to watch it again after this post. What did that bishop say when he got back home?

I’m worried however that this is a call to arms, where the bishop is tell everyone to persecute atheists in Kenya by trying to shift the blame. What can he do, we keep knocking on his door tell him we know he is the murderer and he knows its true. 2014 was a terrible year for gay people in Africa (and witches). I would hate to think the 2015 is the year African atheists join the elephant. Keep knocking on those doors people and they will know we are atheists by our love.