Charlie Hebdo: first cover since terror attack depicts prophet Muhammad

Jan 20, 2015

Photograph: Bertrand Guay/AP

By Anne Penketh and Matthew Weaver

The front cover of Wednesday’s edition of the French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, the first since last week’s attack on its Paris offices that left 12 people dead, is a cartoon of the prophet Muhammad.

The cover shows the prophet shedding a tear and holding up a sign reading “Je suis Charlie” in sympathy with the dead journalists. The headline says “All is forgiven”.

Zineb El Rhazoui, a surviving columnist at Charlie Hebdo magazine who worked on the new issue, said the cover was a call to forgive the terrorists who murdered her colleagues last week, saying she did not feel hate towards Chérif and Saïd Kouachi despite their deadly attack on the magazine, and urged Muslims to accept humour.

“We don’t feel any hate to them. We know that the struggle is not with them as people, but the struggle is with an ideology,” she told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme.

Read the full article by clicking the name of the source located below.

32 comments on “Charlie Hebdo: first cover since terror attack depicts prophet Muhammad

• 1
    voiceofarabi says:

and that ideology has a name… it is called Wahhabism and Muslim Brotherhood…. Those are the ones people on this website needs to fight… (if you live in a democracy… write and phone your politician…)

Some will say, but that’s just Islam and we should fight that!! to which I say you are mistaken.. for the following reason…

We all know that all religions are works of fiction and dangerous, for example, Jews think they are the chosen people and anyone else should be a second class citizen…. Christians thinks gay communities should be put down, Muslims think they are the one and only religion for all…..

That said, in general, all three religions are not going to kill you, however, Wahhabism, Muslim Brotherhood, Hasidics will……

• Nor will any radical Muslims.
    I think it is an attempt by the survivors of this attack to demonstrate how “civilized” they can still be, even in the face of obvious condemnation and depraved indifference, because they hope that it will be understood and reciprocated by others who are of similar mind.
    It may work for some, but I’m afraid most are incapable of understanding the gesture.

• “… many people will come to the same conclusion as you.”

But few (if any) will be radical Muslims. Do you disagree?

“… a similar gesture… without forgiveness”

Describe it.

• Most believers think blasphemers should not be murdered. Many believers think blasphemers should not be whipped. Some believers think blasphemers should not be put in jail. A few believers think blasphemers should not be sued and fined. Almost no believers think blasphemers should be tolerated. You get my drift ? Charlie Hebdo cartoonists were murdered because they were outspoken atheists. And now, most of the world is saying that atheists should learn the lesson and shut up. That is condoning religious terrorism.

• 13
    voiceofarabi says:

Hi Stafford Gordon,

I was lucky tonight to have watched Jon Steward Daily Show from the 12th of Jan… I don’t get to watch it on time as I don’t have access to US TV (comedy Central)… But they had a sketch with a muslim, a white man, a black woman and a jew in the middle of the show… you should watch it.. it is informative and also very funny….

Hey.. Question.. Why is Jon Stewart not on this site?? he belongs here 🙂

• 14
    Lorenzo says:

Sorry if I jump into the conversation but… I don’t need to forgive the attackers to avoid hating Muslims or whoever looks like one. The question for me is about buying into humanity or into religion-fuelled hatred. I believe humankind should be united against these carnages, and I can believe that and act accordingly without forgiving anything or anybody. And that means, of course, that I don’t stop looking those who are to blame -who are much more numerous than those who pulled the trigger.

That said, I can imagine why forgiveness might be handy, even necessary, for the journalist(s), in order to avoid seeking revenge or violently hate everybody: it’s a shelter from the emotional storm going on inside and a break from the relentless search for someone to blame. I don’t know whether I’d choose that road or if I faced the storm in some other way -I hope I’ll never have to find out.

• If it makes you feel any better, I personally condemn all religions, at all times, regardless of to what degree that religion adheres to it’s Holy Books. What you say may be true regarding some sects being worse than others, but all of them value delusional beliefs over the truth, and that is dangerous in all of its’ forms.
    Presently, it is true that radical Islam (Whabbis, Muslim Brotherhood, etc.) are doing more physical damage and violence than other sects. Other sects still believe in lies, though, and those lies have an impact on how they treat other humans. This needs to stop. Any country that is in fact or by deed a theocracy needs to be brought down and the power returned to the people… All of the people, including their women and non-believers. Just look at Egypt. What was once a somewhat tolerant place under a dictator is now a place of religious persecution because people who believe in things that are not true are allowed to govern. All of Islam is responsible for these deeds since there does not even seem to be verbal condemnation of these acts, let alone actual action being taken by the supposed “moderate” Muslims to stop this.
    At the same time, the Catholics are doing as much damage, in their own way, by telling their followers how birth control is a sin. As Christopher Hitchens would say: “AIDS is bad, but condoms are worse” is the message they put across. This does huge amounts of damage to the world. Not to mention the widespread child rape, accumulation of wealth at the expense of their followers, etc. All Catholics world wide are responsible for this because they have not held their own religious leaders responsible.
    Ultra-orthodox Jews the world over have no respect for women. Some Jews in Israel are directly responsible for the building of settlements on Palestinian land, and quite clearly have no respect for Palestinians. All Israelis are complicit in this (both the unacceptable treatment of women and the intended genocide of Palestinians), since none of them are lifting a finger to stop it. Same goes for those who support out of proportion retaliation for Palestinian aggression. It is not OK to perform airstrikes and massive military maneuvers, set up barricades, etc, just because a few rockets were fired over a fence (that the Israelis put there when they annexed even more Palestinian territory!).
    I could go on, but I suppose you get the picture. The common thread, here, is that believers will tend to side with people who share their beliefs, no matter how radical or evil, rather than side with secularists who want to put a stop to all the nonsense. So, all religions need to be condemned since believing in things that do not exist leads people to making decisions that are not based on reality, let alone any real form of morality.

• glenn Jan 22, 2015 at 6:28 pm

You should ask yourself, why we don’t have things like “Hindu Extremists”,

Could I suggest a little research!

“Christian Extremists”,

Provisional IRA? Spanish Inquisition???

“Jewish Extremists”,

militant Zionist underground organization, the Irgun, – later to become part of the isreali government! ??

• And further to Alan’s post, there are the Buddhist extremists who behaved liked terrorists in Sri Lankan conflict.

Glenn. Your vitriol is misguided. Homo Sapiens are defective. We are prone to this kind of behaviour. All religions have done it, or continue to do it. The brand of religion is irrelevant. It is the irrational human mind that is the problem. But having read your posts here, and the one down below, if the Mods haven’t deleted it, I find exactly the same irrational and violent mind that was on display in the terrorists who attacked Charlie Hedbo. Glenn, you are the same as the terrorists. Resorting to violence. Look in the mirror to see the villain.

• @ Glenn:
    Welcome to the forum,
    Ummm, but I think you may have made a small error in posting to this thread. Stupid, inane, and illiterate obscene emails etc are posted in the current RD fan mail thread, not this one.

• I actually did mean “inane,” but looking back it was probably a tautology, since I had already used “stupid,” so your suggestion would have been better.

Another possibility is that he was, or thought he was, posting to a “Fox News” forum.

Oh sheeet! I just had another thought. Could his surname be Beck, I wonder.

• I am hoping he will stick around for a while. A real live troll. I want to study it and find out all I can. Ask it questions. Try and work out how a homo sapiens with a brain can reach these conclusions. I’m thinking Nobel Prize here. Back off he’s mine.

• I assumed it was an attempt to satirize my questioning of forgiveness. The use of camelCase for the swearing though does make me wonder. They could be serious. :shrugs:

• It seems he has been moderated out, and your Nobel will have to wait. While I can understand the moderators cutting his posts, I thank them for leaving him here long enough for at least some of us to see the caliber and mental limits of the seriously troubled islamophobics.

Islam has enough real issues with which it must grapple to be a part of the modern world, and the ravings of morons do not help.

As to “Glenn,” in whatever part of the American south he may be, I hope he understands that it is not actually his point of view, worrisome as it is, that caused him to be kicked off, but rather the language and idiom that he used to express it.

• If people not only believe in something for which there is no evidence, but also think, based on their scriptures, that they should kill others who choose to be sensible and accept only ideas which are backed by evidence, surely THERE lies the problem!

• And now, most of the world is saying that atheists should learn the
    lesson and shut up.

I don’t think most of world is saying this at all. Just the opposite actually. Only idiot Popes and the like are saying such things.

• Ornicar Jan 21, 2015 at 10:12 am

Charlie Hebdo cartoonists were murdered because they were outspoken atheists.

Surely – Charlie Hebdo cartoonists were murdered because they were outspoken!

I think – despite the excessive level of noise creating a false impression of numbers: – now, most of the mocked theists are saying that atheists and other critics should learn the lesson and shut up.

However – Pompously telling critics to “shut up” is nothing new for preachers!

That is condoning religious terrorism.

But double-talk, and double-think, was never seem as a problem by apologists!

• Peter Jan 24, 2015 at 6:44 am

The ideas don’t even have to be sensible! They merely need to be different!

That is the “Religion of Peace”.

.At least 40 people have been killed in a bomb blast at a Shia mosque in southern Pakistan, officials say.

Dozens were wounded in the attack after Friday prayers in Shikarpur district of Sindh province, and the death toll is expected to rise.

Sunni militants linked to the Pakistani Taliban said they carried out the attack.*

Local media reports suggest that the blast could have been a suicide attack, but police are investigating.

There has been rising sectarian violence in Pakistan in recent years. Sunni militant groups have targeted the Shia minority in the past.

The Jundallah militant group claimed that they had carried out the attack. The group has been linked to Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) and announced allegiance to Islamic State (IS) last year.