Tennessee House Approves Bill To Make Bible Official State Book

Apr 16, 2015

By Tim Ghianni

Tennessee state legislators on Wednesday advanced a bill to make the Bible the official state book, a measure the state attorney general said would be unconstitutional and Republican Governor Bill Haslam has called disrespectful.

The Republican-controlled state House of Representatives voted 55-38 to approve the Bible as state book. A companion bill could be considered as soon as Thursday in the state Senate, where Republicans hold 28 seats to five for Democrats.

Representative Bud Hulsey, a Republican, told colleagues in support of the bill it is worth the fight “now more than ever.”

Other Republican representatives opposed the bill, citing concerns about how Tennessee might be perceived and the cost of defending it against legal challenges.

“The controversy will not end in this chamber,” Representative Martin Daniel said. “If we pass this, we’re going to be ridiculed.”

Read the full article by clicking the name of the source located below.

17 comments on “Tennessee House Approves Bill To Make Bible Official State Book

• Why would these idiot legislators keep pushing this through when they know very well it will not stand?

Is their delusion stronger than their political/legal acumen?

I think they could make a less expensive statement.

• 5
    aroundtown says:

It’s fairly obvious they are feeling the pressure and fear has taken hold that the delusion can no longer reign supreme as it did in the past. They can muddy the water but they will not be able to plug the breach in the dam with this nonsense.

In Britain and other commonwealth’s you are able to “tick the box” regarding religion but that is not available in the United States census. You will see figures in polls but that’s about it. If we could offer our opinion collectively I think the percentages would look quite different than they project them to be when it comes to religious affiliation.

The Representative Martin Daniel was correct in his assertion about looking foolish, and the cloak of delusion the other members are trying to protect will fail in the end. The people are going to wake up, (they already are), and their attempts to stop it with forced proclamations will not work. It may take a while but in the end they will be a tiny religious island in a sea of non-believers who reject these efforts.

• Here we go again…

In introducing the legislation, Carmody always maintained he was not
    taking steps to establish a state religion, but rather to educate
    people.

Right. And there’s no better way to “educate people” than to declare an “official state book”, right?

Representative Martin Daniel said. “If we pass this, we’re going to be
    ridiculed.”

It’s too late! You’re already being ridiculed just for considering it!
    Perhaps it’s time for a field trip to Louisiana.

• If there’s one thing these guys are good at, it’s getting re-elected. I’m sure they know how ridiculous it will make their party/state look to outsiders, and how it may be to the detriment of some of their colleagues in less securely held constituencies. But that’s not the point.

You can bet the farm that everyone who’s pushing for this knows (or believes) that – whatever the fallout elsewhere – in their constituency it’s a net vote winner, and secures their personal future.

I don’t know Mr. Daniel, he may just be one of those “moderate Republicans” or it might just be that due to the demographics in his constituency he has been advised by his people that this is a net vote loser.

• If there’s one thing these guys are good at, it’s getting re-elected.

This encapsulates the defect in democracy. You can only be elected, if you get a majority of votes. You can only get a majority of votes if you mirror the majority of voters. No one will vote for you if you propose something that might require citizens to endure some personal pain, however slight, even if it overwhelming supported by incontrovertible evidence. “Vote for me, I will make the bible our official book.” He wins. “Vote for me. I will vote against the bible being made our official book because it is irrational to choose a book based on mysticism to guide us in 2015.” He loses.

Democracy is the best governance system we’ve got. It’s not better politicians we need, it is better voters. Sadly, Homo Denialensis far out populate / vote Homo Sapiens.

Our only hope is if the aliens that are running this simulation return and step in soon to save us from ourselves.

• 10
    Pinball1970 says:

I am not clear what an official state book is exactly. A quick search reveal US can states have nicknames, flowers and even reptiles but I cannot find anything regarding books. Do they get discounts or free gifts or something if the bill becomes a law for a butternut?

• Aha – so the two-headed cat that walked past leg in fin with a salmon – both of which told me “looks Like rain”……were in-fact a bug in the Alien-C code rather than the Lysergic acid I’ve injested!! Makes perfect sense to me – – I thought I must be on drugs – coz I’m reading that some state in America wants to make the Bible the official book!

• I suppose the Tennessee witches had better watch out, or change state !

Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live

Exodus 22 18

What more ignorance of reality has Tennessee got to show the rest of humanity, apart from Chattanooga woo woo ?

• ♪ “Pardon me Roy, is that the cat that chewed your new shoes?”

*In a similar vein, and worse (imo) was Kentucky’s Homeland Security plaque that invoked God in some fashion. An admission they haven’t the brains and wherewithal to take care of business themselves?! Head for the hills…

• Why? Good question. One possible answer: they are trying to earn brownie points to improve their chance of heavenly reward.

I think the real reason lies elsewhere though. I subscribe to a few right-wing forums and I have learnt a few things about the types of people referenced in the article. Conservative Christians believe that their religion is under threat from the Left, that we are dragging them towards a godless, liberal, secular society where morals are thrown out the window. Post after post reports on the latest “assault on family values”, one liberal group suing to remove a cross here, another teaching perversions to kids there.

They believe we are living in a modern day Gomorrah – and this is their way of fighting back. On one level it’s humorous, but if you think a little harder it becomes deadly serious. These people are state legislators. Here in the most advanced, developed, industrialized society on earth, the country that invented the Internet and put men on the moon, we have legislators who seriously believe that god created humans by magic, 6,000 years ago. This is scary stuff .

An article a few days ago told us about a court battle currently under way to force a small town to remove a cross on public land. I said at the time we have bigger fish to fry – here is such a fish. We need a public information campaign, possibly on the level of the anti-smoking programs of the last few decades that have been so spectacularly successful. We need to break the idea that we are waging a “war on religion”, that we “hate god” and so on. And we need to shine a bright light on the ignorance of these legislators, so that most people will not want to be associated with them. That will take much work but it’s a battle we need to fight.

• If I lived there my main concern would be that elected officials are discussing something as meaningless as a “state book” on my time. wtf is a state book? If I was invovled in this important political debate I’d save my taxpayers by instantly anouncing “yeah ok whatevz”

while they’re at it why not discuss having the sandal as the official state shoe? it’s got everything, hint of christianity while making no imapct on the effective governance of the state whatsoever. what’s not to love?

• SaganTheCat
    Apr 20, 2015 at 8:19 am

. . . . . And the donkey as the official state transport for state leaders and mayors!