Nigeria court in Kano sentences nine people to death for blasphemy

Jun 27, 2015

by BBC

An Islamic court has sentenced nine people to death for insulting the Prophet Muhammad in the northern Nigerian city of Kano.

The accused, who were all Muslims, had pleaded guilty, the head of Kano’s religious police, Aminu Ibrahim Daurawa, told the BBC.

The trial was speedily done in secret after a section of the court was burnt down by angry protesters last month.

It is not known if they will appeal against the sentence.

The alleged offence was committed last month at a religious gathering in honour of Sheikh Ibrahim Niasse, the Senegalese founder of the Tijaniya sect, which has a large following across West Africa.

Read the full article by clicking the name of the source located below.

20 comments on “Nigeria court in Kano sentences nine people to death for blasphemy

• I expect “rightist muppets” also admire it, probably even more so as the “right” tends more towards authoritarianism and islam is nothing if not authoritarian. The most famous “rightist muppet” in history (A. Hitler) was a great admirer of islam. It is the “righist muppets” that most forcefully push family values, homophobia etc. a bit like islam really. In fact in the US they are actually called the “Religious Right”.

• I think we should get Muslim immigrants to forswear the crazier parts of the Islamic faith, and let them know they will be on the next boat out if they violate that oath.

• Jim Fox: Oh for the love of all sanity, can’t we have a discussion without “lefty, righty, finger pointing, blaming and mentioning Obama as the scourge of the world? STOP it Jim.

• 5
    Miserablegit says:

Ah yes the old favourite insulted the prophet Mohammed nonsense which as with all religions that have blasphemy laws, you insult my religion then it is summary execution time.

• 7
    Cairsley says:

It is bad enough when people are unjustly sentenced and punished for crimes or misdeeds concerning real things, but when this happens to them for not sharing someone else’s make-believe about nonexistent entities, it is intolerable.

• Some faith-thinkers have started a new sect which puts a different emphasis on “faith interpretations” to those of an intransigent old sect! Blasphemy!!!!!

Kill the infidels who are promoting their new prophet! !!!!!

• Yes, its a bad habit I fell into- guilty as charged. Muppet-hood is indeed politically neutral,
    though the prime suspects are those mentioned. You defend Obama- are you even aware
    of his admiration of Islam or his fanatical defence of it?

“Oh for the love of all sanity”– can’t we have a bit less melodrama?

• mombird
    Jun 27, 2015 at 9:05 pm

The terms don’t really communicate accurately. Obama is “left-wing”, in the USA but would be considered “right-wing” in much of Europe.

While back in the days of McCarthyism, anyone to the left of Genghis Kahn was accused of being a “pinko”!

• When my god is insulted I am insulted too, because I have intimate knowledge of the almighty’s mind, which coincides precisely with mine; we are in total agreement about everything.

It’s a condition known as psychological projection, which, I submit, arises due to the victim having never thought for themselves, and the resulting intellectual vacuum being filled with popular, received, half-baked notions.

• 12
    mombird says:

Jim: Admiration for Islam??? That’s why he had Osama killed ? Besides, I never said I admired anyone. I couldn’t get beyond the usual and tiresome biased, negative, and unproductive comments you made. I gave up because your opening was just a discourse shut down.

• Nigeria is one of the most wretched illiterate countries on earth with 70% of the people living below the poverty line (sixth -effectively tied for the fourth- poorest country in the world.) With lifetime fertility close to 6 children per woman Nigeria is projected to have a larger population than the United States reaching 440 million by 2050. Religion plays an important role but so does sheer ignorance. What can we expect from these people? May family planning take root in Nigerian social consciousness soon. Very soon.

• Admiration for Islam???

Yes- he’s great admirer;
    1. ‘The future must not belong to those who slander the Prophet of Islam.’
    2. ‘If the winds of change blow in an ugly direction, I will stand with the Muslims’
    Plus at least 20 similar statements

OBL was being hunted for years before Obama ‘had him killed’. Besides, Obama perpetuates the lie that ‘extremists’ are not ‘true Muslims’, whereas the opposite is the case.

Negative, biased, tiresome? I suggest you do some reading about Islam as you are apparently totally ignorant of the threat to your freedoms posed by the Religion of Peace… and its western supporters.

• I’m not qualified to question what you say Melvin, but I’m acquainted with quite a few well educated, sophisticated Nigerians who are resident here in the UK; I suppose they’ve chosen to live outside Nigeria precisely for the reasons you site.

As to their position on religion, I have no idea, and it’s none of my business; as long as they don’t pester me I don’t care.

• I’ve encountered, mostly through media, quite a few well educated, sophisticated Nigerians who are resident in the U.S. or Europe. It’s the soon-to-be other 300+ million breeding like rabbits back home I’m worried about. The overpopulation catastrophe in the country is not an individual problem but a systemic problem that will threaten stability in the region and in turn envelop the entire world. A country so poor and dysfunctional that cannot recognize the consequences of a fertility rate of over 5 children per woman is heading toward spiteful suicide bent on taking anyone they can along with them. You’re probably right that criticizing “religion” from our western European intellectual perspective is laughable at this point. The men in the back of that truck would beat a “suspect” into strawberry jam for $5.

• 19
    mombird says:

Jim:

I suggest you do some reading about Islam as you are apparently
    totally ignorant of the threat to your freedoms posed by the Religion
    of Peace… and its western supporters.

This grumbling and gnashing of teeth after the Pres. gave a beautiful Christian eulogy to the folks in South Carolina! Mohammad must be turning over in his grave!

• “We quickly put them on trial to avoid bloodshed because people were very angry and trying to take law into their hands,” he added.

they succeded. The suspects were arested for making the mob angry, the suspects are being sent to their deaths becasue the mob want them dead.

just admit you do as the mob says