Taj Mahal suicide bid: Hindu and Muslim forbidden to marry

Jul 17, 2015

by BBC

A young couple have attempted to commit suicide in the grounds of the Taj Mahal, India’s famed monument to love.

Police say the pair – a Hindu and a Muslim – slit their own throats after their parents had refused to let them marry because of different religions.

They were found in a pool of blood, and are now said to be in a stable condition.

Marriage outside religion or caste still attracts censure, and even honour killings, in parts of India.

Read the full article by clicking the name of the source located below.

13 comments on “Taj Mahal suicide bid: Hindu and Muslim forbidden to marry

• Absolutely Mr D.

I wonder if the parents feel gratified and remain proud of their respective religions; or are each couple blaming the others?

I hope this madness will bring them to their senses, and together.

And I wonder if the founders’ of these religions were mentally disturbed, or simply con artists; six of one and half a dozen of the other probably.

But then that leaves open the question of why so many people fall for this kind of stuff.

The reason yours truly repeatedly visits this watering hole is to vent my exasperation at it all.

But, I hasten to add, not at those afflicted by it; they always have my sympathy; there but for the grace of good fortune go I.

• 7
    NearlyNakedApe says:

The original article doesn’t mention any specific details, it just states “a Muslim and a Hindu”. I’m willing to bet it’s a Hindu man and a Muslim woman. As Ayaan Hirsi Ali explains in her book Heretic, Muslim men are allowed under Sharia to marry a non-Muslim woman but Muslim women are not allowed to marry out of Islam for reasons of “lineage”.

As for the parents, I suspect the Muslim parents of the woman will be the ones who are most upset. They most likely perceive their daughter’s actions as dishonorable. It’s not all unlikely that the father is disappointed that she survived her suicide attempt and it’s not impossible that he may try to kill her himself later on. After all, this kind of brutal injustice happens all the time in Pakistan and India and Afghanistan.

I wouldn’t be surprised that the girl suspected that her father would kill her if he knew she was seeing a non-Muslim man and probably figured she would rathe die on her own terms with some dignity instead of suffering the extreme humiliation of being dragged, beaten and publically executed by stoning or hanging.

The boy probably wanted to commit suicide alonside her to prove his love and out of solidarity for her since he knew full well that he does not face such punishment. A modern Romeo and Juliet tragedy….

• Thanks for that reminder NearlyNakedApe. Now I see what tiger 76 was getting at.

I keep forgetting the degree of senseless cruelty and injustice which can result from blindly following a religious faith; my mistake lies in trying to apply rationalism where it has no place.

• At least in this case, religion has less to do than stupid bigoted parents. I am an Indian and I know at least several couples who are hindu and muslim or people of different castes who have married. if you want to get married, all you need to do is got to a court and get it done as per the Hindu marriage act of 1955 which allows marriage between all castes, religions and cultures within India. I am myself married to a girl from a different caste and language in India. our parents were educated enough not to oppose it.

• Yours is a heartening example prism, but key to it is education.

I left school more or less empty handed, but I like to think with suffficient native nous to realise how ignorant I was and that I had to bootstrap myself and learn how to learn.

But, I’ve never cottoned on to why people become enmeshed in religious notions which are manifestly human constructs; as far back as I can remember I’ve been subject to minor shocks of realization that someone I’ve known for ages has a sort of secret existence, beyond a threshold they cross when certain key words are uttered, or circumstances encountered.

For example, on entering a church at a wedding or funeral their entire demeanour will change, with the result that they seem to become incapable of resisting the words “let us pray”, and bang on cue, close their eyes, bow their head and commence so to do; or they accept with equanimity, or indeed alacrity, the concept of eternal life, which if put to them outside the church they would probably consider an insult to their intelligence.

It’s easy to understand how children are cruelly fooled by otherwise rational adults telling them all this woo, but I find it weird that the rug of discretion can be pulled away from under grown up individuals so easily; would they be that credulous when carrying out a business transaction?

• Meanwhile, in addition to religion’s preoccupations with sexual relationships, it raises its ugly head in seeking scapegoats for its ignorance of the real causes of problems!

An elderly Indian woman accused of practising witchcraft has been stripped naked and beheaded by villagers in the state of Assam, police say.

They said that 63-year-old Purni Orang had been blamed for illness in the tribal settlement.

*Seven people, including two women, have been arrested over her killing.

Police in Assam say nearly 90 people, mostly women, have been beheaded, burnt alive or stabbed to death after such accusations over the last six years.*

People in a village in Sonitpur district were falling sick, and some of them “blamed Purni Orang for their condition”, local police official Samad Hussain told BBC Hindi.

In October, an Indian athlete Debjani Bora was severely beaten after being branded a witch in Assam.

Experts say superstitious beliefs are behind some of these attacks, but there are occasions when people – especially widows – are targeted for their land and property.