Theramin Trees- Examining Religion (Video Collection)

Jul 8, 2015

Losing Faith

[cbc_video id=”101383″ volume=”30″ width=”640″ aspect_ratio=”16×9″ autoplay=”0″ controls=”1″]

Respecting Beliefs

[cbc_video id=”101377″ volume=”30″ width=”640″ aspect_ratio=”16×9″ autoplay=”0″ controls=”1″]

Seeing Things

[cbc_video id=”101379″ volume=”30″ width=”640″ aspect_ratio=”16×9″ autoplay=”0″ controls=”1″]

Religion- The Bad Parent

[cbc_video id=”101381″ volume=”30″ width=”640″ aspect_ratio=”16×9″ autoplay=”0″ controls=”1″]

11 comments on “Theramin Trees- Examining Religion (Video Collection)

• At last, one of my favorite You-Tubers (Tuber?) gets the recognition he so richly deserves !

For any regular RD.net visitors not in the know I will accept full responsibility for not linking often enough — sorry!

You should also check out his Brother’s videos, search for: Qualia Soup.

My understanding is that this has a lot to do with patreon.com [https://www.patreon.com/theramintrees]. Please support secular voices, donate today – no contribution too small.

• Losing Faith is a good video. Adults assume because children are small they cannot reason, and that adults always think better than children. It shows just how vicious and unfair christians are in brainwashing their beliefs into children. That sort of coercion would never be permitted to constrain an adult.

My puzzle was why would anyone believe the bible were the word of god if it were so badly written with so many contradictions and errors. The answer turns out parents browbeat kids into not publicly noticing, and assuming there must be an explanation. I saw that pattern in JWs. No matter how crazy the contradiction, they were positive the “overseer” would have an explanation.

• My fundie friend of many years ago used to use the same feeble excuse for the errors and contradictions in the bible – they couldn’t possibly be errors because the bible is inerrant so they must be things we haven’t yet been given the grace to understand.

I’ve finally thought of a sort of response to that. Even If one claims it’s just the bible isn’t fully comprehensible then it’s still imperfect to some extent and once that’s accepted then we can also accept that what appear to be errors really are errors. Maybe someone can refine that into a better argument.

• 4
    mombird says:

As a child I wasn’t brave enough or rational enough to question. Instead I found a way to accept the stories as metaphors. I always had a pretty good imagination so it wasn’t that hard. I could accept the resurrection of Jesus as a metaphor and it worked for awhile. There were always doubts in my mind but I could explain it all away with a good analogy or myth. I do well with abstractions so that’s how I saw it all. After time it wasn’t enough. I started reading and the flood gates opened. I became unfaithful and unbelieving after a long struggle. Freedom came with a boat load of guilt.
    I have to say that it is NOT easy to get here. The believers are locked in with guilt and fear. I was fortunate to break away but for others I guess facing the uncertainty of life is just too much for them.

• Theramin Trees (as well as Qualia Soup) deserve so much more exposure than they are getting. I have often thought that some TV producer should pick up their Youtube videos and create a series of half-hour TV episodes from them, just to reach all those people who still don’t get their entertainment on-line. And the Youtube videos that already are on-line should be promoted heavily all over the place.

• When I look at the first video especially I’m reminded both of the sort of struggles I feel even if I didn’t experience all of them and aspects of it that I’m still dealing with today. The notion of questioning beliefs and even having an adult conversation about the beliefs of others is most not tolerated in my family, something that has become more of an issue since moving closer to them in MD.

It really is a question of how deep you dive into religion when you’re younger and how critical you’re willing to be of the beliefs held therein. It colors how you see everything outside of it, even if you are well meaning and actually care about someone that just happens to think differently from you (ie, non christian).

I’ll have to look up Qualia Soup as well.

• I find these videos trivial, puerile and a waste of bandwidth. Are we such dopes that we need this? It is patronizing to imply that there are people who do.

• Hi Hal,

The difference between arrogance and confidence is often difficult to manage – it can even be hard to recognise.

The Richard Dawkins Foundation is in the business of changing minds.

Many of those in the process of becoming mature adults, and leaving the security blanket of religion behind, lack confidence – they’ll submit to the will of people who appear confident.

For these people simple messages that push, again, on their conscience and doubt are not luxuries, they’re essential.

Those full of arrogance, will often chronically overestimate their own abilities. This has two effects; those who lead the faithful may arrogantly assert things and believe themselves to be confident, while those who cannot recognise arrogance paraded as confidence are persuaded, often through misplaced trust and loyalty, and always through poor epistemology. Thus, those on the edge are tempted to believe they do not need to change their minds.

The first rule, of course, is to not fool yourself. Can the above be observed in one person – a wholly internal dialogue? In my experience, yes.

Arrogance and confidence have overlapping qualities. They can both, for example, involve believing something that many others do not.

It is patronizing to imply that there are people who do [need this].

You may continue to believe that if you wish. Personally; I can’t read minds, I do not have access to every internal dialogue, I cannot intervene in every parishioner-priest interchange, I am aware of people with different abilities, personalities, societies, cultures, histories …

I do my best to remain humble in the face of the thousands of life stories that touch mine.

Peace.