11-year-old rape victim denied abortion gives birth in Paraguay

Aug 25, 2015

HNGN

By Rafael Romo

An 11-year-old girl denied an abortion after allegedly being raped by her stepfather has given birth to a healthy baby girl in Asunción, Paraguay, where a fierce debate is brewing over a law banning most abortions.

Thursday’s birth was confirmed by Asunción Red Cross Director Mario Villalba.

In the mostly Catholic country, 684 girls between the ages of 10 and 14 gave birth last year. Most of the minors had been victims of sexual abuse, according to government figures. A Paraguayan law bans abortions except in cases where the pregnancy endangers the mother’s life.

Read the full article by clicking the name of the source below.

27 comments on “11-year-old rape victim denied abortion gives birth in Paraguay

• 1
    Miserablegit says:

In the most catholic country, so once again this wretched, cruel and downright warped religion can be used by its adherents to ruin the life of a eleven year old girl just so it can say it can stick to its sick principles.

• 3
    NearlyNakedApe says:

Perhaps I shouldn’t be but I’m surprised at the number of cases: 684 cases is far from what religious apologists would define as “isolated events”. All this suffering, all those lives destroyed or hijacked. The RCC may be agonizing but it certainly retains the ability to perpetrate grievous harm until the very end… perhaps even after.

• Does religion, or any belief system for that matter, make people cruel, or is it that cruel people are attractred to religion, as it gives them justification for their cruelty?

• The religious are irrational. They can’t be expected to make sound judgements about life when they have such perverse ideas about what it is to have a life. They think life must have a purpose and that purpose fits the cosmic plan of a god. It is so bad it can hardly be described as thinking.

• But still…how is it that they cannot see or understand their cruelty, or for that matter, can they not see the incompatability between a loving, omnipotent god, and the horror of the world and its inhabitants whom he created?

• eejit,

how is it that they cannot see or understand their cruelty,

I want to know the answer to this question too. In conversations with sanctimonious religious types and Americans of the Tea Party Republican types, I am always flabbergasted at the selfish and downright cruel statements that come out of their mouths like it was just a given in this life that these things must be true. That women should suffer just because we try to control our own fertility or that some people should suffer based on the amount of melanin that their cells produce or that people deserve to suffer based on their sexual and/or gender identification, all seem fair and proper to them, but cruel and predatory to me.

Some factors are coming forward that I hope are helping to combat the self-righteous cruelty that I encounter in interactions. Anti-bully programs in schools attempt to deal with it by saying that it’s not ok to pick on others for things that they can’t control. The list of characteristics that we can’t control has expanded and I hope that the list of people who come under protection from harassment grows as a result of that. When this more compassionate way of thinking is taught to children in schools. I hope it will sink in at an early age and have some staying power with them. Perhaps it will at least act as a sort of balancing effect against the bigotry that is in high concentration in their own homes.

All programs of encouragement to be OUT with truthful statements about important aspects of oneself are working to inform the bigots that they are becoming outnumbered and in fact they may be on the receiving end of a serious shock to the system when they are informed that their own child or other close loved one is gay/trans/atheist/drug addicted/sexually active teen/liberal democrat/bankrupt/gambling addict, or member of any other group that is seen as the result of a horrific character flaw and work of the devil.

Right, as one of my Professors told me a long time ago, “Is A causing B or is B causing A?”, an oversimplification to be sure, but I had annoyed him with a stupid statement and he needed to dismiss me forthwith, for which I agree that he was right to do. Still, his correction stuck with me all these years. At this point, it all seems like a viscous circle with cruel judgmental people seeking out like minded others where they can get validation and encouragement to become further entrenched in their nasty mentality. Breaking this cycle seems a daunting task. Most days I’m very discouraged but I want to believe that the bigger picture is more optimistic than what I’m dealing with in my immediate vicinity.

Glass half full…?

• LaurieB
    Aug 30, 2015 at 9:47 am

eejit, – – how is it that they cannot see or understand their cruelty,

I want to know the answer to this question too.

At basic level it is easy to understand!

“This is the almighty god-delusion speaking through my human sheeple mouth piece! I am all important, and spreading my meme is all important! What is mere human suffering, in comparison to ensuring there is a maximum number of babies to indoctrinate to provide me with new habitats and my priests with a good income!
    Humans don’t have to be well off or well looked after. Just surviving, while deeply indoctrinated, and convinced that their suffering does not matter, will do, as it will all be fixed for them in heaven.
    That is sufficient to serve MY purposes, as it has done down the generations!”

• Alan4discussion

Yes, this is the type that is surrounded in a warm, fuzzy cocoon of personal ignorance, protected from the harsh realities of “nature red in tooth and claw” (Is that from Tennyson? Wiki says yes.). But the type that eejit and I are talking about (eejit correct me if I’m wrong) are a whole worse category of cruelty. These are the bunch that actually are happy when they see suffering of those deemed to be sinners, stupid, disgusting, ugly, weak minded, perverse or any other attribute that they consider themselves high and mighty above for some reason having to do with extremely subjective bias. They take absolute personal credit for things that are an accident of DNA and/or environment.

In the case of the girl from Paraguay, I expect there are those who will find the story to be so distasteful that they will shove it into the dusty, dark corners of their mind and write it off as, “not my problemo”. This is unacceptable denial of a problem that is all too common and could happen to anyone/anywhere. But the most insidious cruelty comes from those who will be quick to blame that girl for what happened to her. “Well, that’ll teach her to walk around in her underware.” and “Why didn’t she scream?” or as our Republican misogynists like to believe, “If it was a real rape then her body would have shut that pregnancy down.” These people are many degrees nastier than the warm, fuzzy cocoon type.

• LaurieB
    Aug 30, 2015 at 12:38 pm

The god-delusion I quoted is at a subconscious level, and merely manipulates the sheeple into taking this view of priorities.

That is indeed the blissful fatalist type.

I think this other type, is the smug self satisfied type, who feels assured of being their god-delusion’s favourite pet, and takes delight that they are so privileged, and not subject to all that nasty suffering arranged for those “inferior” sinners and unbelievers!

After all, their omnipotent delusion metes out natural disasters and personal afflictions, as punishment for deviating from its dogmas, so they feel entitled to smugly celebrate these with their fellow delusionalists by way of reinforcing their airs of superiority, and their delusions of self importance!

God-did-it, so they have no responsibility for the suffering THEY inflict by using THEIR influence in applying HIS law! (According the the thinking of the indoctrinated sheeple brain.)

• Olgun

Most people don’t know what to think and will only follow.

This is exactly why we shouldn’t hesitate to point out the cruelty in statements and ideas to people in a direct way. If I want to give them the benefit of the doubt I can say that they’ve been surrounded their entire life with ignorant and selfish people and are now indoctrinated into that mentality and have no way to produce an altruistic thought or deed. (I try to start out in this generous way but by the end of the day I’m incapable of such generosity.)

So if that is the case, then I figure it’s my duty inform them that their statement is unethical for this and that reason, and usually end up saying to them that although I initially thought they were a nice person, I now have to point out that they hold certain opinions that are actually downright cruel and nasty. I like to sit back and watch them sort this all out.

(Wait, who is the cruel one in this story? I’m very sure it couldn’t possibly be me, right…?)

Often these very people end up pissed off at me but whatever. They’re usually pleased with their happy little rose colored glasses paradigm and there I’ve gone and thrown a wrench into it.

(uh-oh, mixed metaphor? Too bad. I’m on a roll here!)

Here in the States we have the opportunity to have these conversations with our fellow citizens who are opposed to universal healthcare and even opposed to Obamacare and find it highly preferable to let the indigent and others with no health insurance die rather than pay a few almighty American bucks more to do the ethically correct thing for every citizen of this place. I don’t mind telling these people that this is the type of massive selfish cruelty that rightfully earns a person the label of first class asshole! As the saying goes, You need to OWN that.

• Alan4discussion

The god-delusion I quoted

Quoted from where? Did you pull that out of thin air?

And by the way, if folks around here start using the word “cocoonist” you will all know from this thread what it means and I want full credit for that. 🙂

• Some need to be treated like children and guided through the process while others can feel the force of resentment head on. It’s not easy being an angel 0:-)

• LaurieB
    Aug 30, 2015 at 6:03 pm

I tend to use the expression, “head in a mirrored-shiny woo-bucket”!

They can look in any direction, and see the reflection of their god-delusion images on the inside of the bucket looking back at them in place of physical reality!

• The RCC has a new stunt planned to try to maintain its obstructive stance, but trying to retain credibility with its membership! “Mercy” for those suffering RCC abuse in times of crisis!!!

Pope Francis To Send Out Priests To Forgive The ‘Sin’ Of Women Who Have Had Abortions http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/08/pope-francis-abortions_n_7244630.html
    As part of his upcoming Holy Year of Mercy, the pontiff plans to send specially trained priests as “missionaries of mercy” to Catholic parishes around the world. The army of priests will reportedly hear these women’s confessions and absolve them of the “sin of a procured abortion,” the Irish Times reports. The forgiveness can also be given to healthcare workers who perform abortions.

“By my calculation, they’ve spent 40 years building up the idea abortions are non-negotiable things, that a woman can never do it,” Miller told HuffPost. “It gets to the heart of Francis’ papacy, his pastoral and progressive approach to forgiving people.”

In the pews, American Catholics continue to have mixed views on the issue. Forty-six percent of Catholics agree that abortion should be legal in all or most cases, according to the Public Religion Research Institute. About 47 percent believe abortion should be illegal in all or most cases.

And despite the church’s official stance, Catholic women are still exercising their reproductive rights. According to a report from the Guttmacher Institute, Catholic women have abortions at the same rate as all American women.

“The Catholic Church also officially prohibits contraception,” Miller said. “You can’t use contraception and you can’t get an abortion, so the Catholic hierarchy doesn’t have a lot of credibility here. It just doesn’t leave women with a lot of options.”

• Ha! You beat me to it Alan. Still at least it’s a sop from pope Frank in the right general direction. I do wonder if he’s playing the political game and chipping away at things he’d actually like to get rid of in one fell swoop so as not to upset the catholic hierarchy too much.

• Dear Pope Frankie

An old asexual cross-dressing man who is head of an institution that has controlled and abused women for centuries should SFU about women’s reproductive rights and strategies. Why don’t you go see about forgiving men for masturbating?

~flips the bird~