Anti-discrimination law enacted across UAE

Aug 16, 2015

By National Staff

The law criminalising all forms of discrimination on the grounds of religion, caste, creed, doctrine, race, colour or ethnic origin was enacted on Monday.

The Anti-Discriminatory Law, issued following a decree by President Sheikh Khalifa, criminalises any acts that stoke religious hatred and/or which insult religion through any form of expression.

This covers speech and the written word, books, pamphlets or via online media. The law also includes provisions for punishing anyone for terming other religious groups or individuals as infidels, or unbelievers, according to state news agency Wam.The law is intended to provide a “sound foundation for the environment of tolerance, broad­ mindedness and acceptance in the UAE and aims to safeguard people regardless of their origin, beliefs or race, against acts that promote religious hate and intolerance”.

Penalties for violation of the provisions of the law include jail terms ranging from six months to more than 10 years and fines from Dh50,000 to Dh2 million.


Read the full article by clicking the name of the source below.

12 comments on “Anti-discrimination law enacted across UAE

  • “The Anti-Discriminatory Law, … criminalises any acts that stoke religious hatred …”

    Well that sounds very good

    “… and/or which insult religion through any form of expression.”

    and that sounds very bad, very very bad indeed. It sounds like something zealots will be able to use all too easily to crush legitimate criticism.

    I hope I’m wrong



    Report abuse

  • 2
    NearlyNakedApe says:

    This is simply a strong anti-blasphemy law designed to legally persecute atheists and freethinkers. They add insult to injury by cloaking it in a liberal sounding name: anti-discrimination. This is just more of the usual hypocrisy of insecure religious control-freak zealots.



    Report abuse

  • Christian/ Jesus is the son of god.

    Muslim/ Jesus is not the son of god but a prophet (and all its implications)

    Instant insult from both direction. Would need the wisdom of solomon to get out of that one.



    Report abuse

  • If wisdom started at all?

    “The law encourages anyone involved in any activity that violates
    the law to voluntarily submit themselves before the authorities and
    has provisions allowing the courts to waive penalties in such cases.

    How to Go to Confession (Substitute religious terms for legal ones in link)



    Report abuse

  • control freak zealots

    Answer: In God we Trust stickers.

    Question: What’s the recent trend for sheriff patrol cars.

    Blatant disregard for separation of Church & State. FFRF sends letters of admonition – local yahoo sheriff responded with “I’m not going to let the 5% tell the other 95% what to do“. Borderline despot.



    Report abuse

  • bonnie
    Aug 18, 2015 at 1:04 pm

    local yahoo sheriff responded with “I’m not going to let the 5% tell the other 95% what to do“. Borderline despot.

    When I saw that image it reminded me of one on the old Atheist Memebase site – it had a picture of the same delusional “God we trust sticker” on a of a crashed wreck!



    Report abuse

  • More proof that Islam is DESPERATE to deny the truth.

    Terrified that its evil mind virus is being exposed
    as never before.

    First Sowdi Barbaria, now this bunch of numpties…



    Report abuse

  • I tend to favor sentiments expressed by N_Ellis in the first comment. The new law enacted in the UAE is a small step forward and perhaps a signal that recalcitrant resistance to examining anti-democratic theocratic traditions in the Islamic world is starting to break down. Certainly the law will be ambiguously, often retrogressively, enforced. The statute may nonetheless reflect the spark of a new social consciousness moving toward western Enlightenment thinking.



    Report abuse

Leave a Reply

View our comment policy.