Georgia public school investigates a mass baptism on its football field

Sep 8, 2015

Facebook: Rick Sauls

By Sarah Pulliam Bailey

A Georgia public school is looking into a mass baptism on its football field that was posted on YouTube but later taken down. In a state where football is practically another religion, the video raises questions about the role of faith in public schools.

The video was posted by First Baptist Villa Rica, according to local news channel WXIA-TV, shot before football practice at Villa Rica High School showing 18 players getting baptized.

“We had the privilege of baptizing a bunch of football players and a coach on the field of Villa Rica High School! We did this right before practice! Take a look and see how God is STILL in our schools!” the caption with the video said. The video had been taken down by Tuesday evening.

The school is looking into what happened, Villa Rica’s Assistant Superintendent of Administrative and Support Services Terry Jones said in a statement.

“The Carroll County School System was made aware of a situation that took place at Villa Rica High School prior to football practice on August 17th,” the statement said. “The District is currently looking into the specifics of this situation and will take appropriate steps to ensure all state and federal laws are followed.”

Read the full article by clicking the name of the source below.

42 comments on “Georgia public school investigates a mass baptism on its football field

• 1
    Miserablegit says:

Ah so that’s what’s going on, I thought it was a mass public shit-in-a-bucket competition. Proof that religion is always looking for new ways to shit stir.

• IF I was forced to endure this nonsense, I would have pissed in the pond. “There ya go, baptize yourselves”. (sorry, I’m a little angry about the “clerk” getting released from jail.)

• Rub-a-dub-dub, big fool (coach) in a tub.

Blurred lines, it seems. “Baptism” was held before practice started, Pastor thought everything was good to go, because the coach said so, who admitted later he didn’t tell the school board about it. How convenient to say after the fact (paraphrased) gee, if I’d known the school wasn’t on board with this, I wouldn’t have done it.

FCA

Fellowship of Christian Athletes (praising Christ through sports, gag) – thank goodness for Secular Student Alliance in high schools (Amanda Scott, for example).

• Did they change the water after each use? The coach looks like he just peed in the Rubbermaid baptismal fount purchased at Walmart. Within a decade, more or less, the young men gathered round will look back on this photo and go running with hysterical laughter into the growing ranks of NONES. Football’s finest moment celebrated by a fool for the ages.

• 9
    NearlyNakedApe says:

But will the Lord bless the team with wins over every other team, or are they equally baptised and favoured ?

And the Lord will closely monitor who was baptized and who wasn’t because of course, the thing that most concerns the creator of the whole universe is… high school football. And that’s the reason why he doesn’t have any time to worry about those thousands of migrant women and children from Syria who drown and die of thirst on the ocean every day…

I mean… He’s way too busy keeping tabs on who dunked in the Holy Plastic Wal-Mart Baptism Tub on the Sacred High School Football Field right?….

The hubris of these people is second only to the bottomless pit of their ignorance or perhaps their limitless talent for projection. Can’t decide which.

• People are so weird. It’s like they’re completely unaware of their motivation for doing anything in this particular area of their lives.

–//–

In a Rubbermaid tub, seriously? hehehe “But they’ll all be gold in heaven” -deadpan- might have been something they told themselves later. Sadly, I think that’s hilarious. 🙂

• alf1200
    Sep 9, 2015 at 2:48 am

Ok, I will confess and repent. I was the one who pissed in the tub………but I’m not sorry………….

I hope you realise, that not only is that unhygienic, but where the baptism is by total immersion, it is in awfully bad taste!

• 12
    NearlyNakedApe says:

“But they’ll all be gold in heaven”

If somebody surreptitiously peed in the Holy Rubbermaid Tub, some of them may well be “golden” in this life already…

• Knowing my feelings about religion, someone gave me a bar of Jesus Soap. I use it every day to wash away my “sins”. It seems to work just fine even though the water isn’t holy, – just London tap water. Maybe the Lord favours me ?

I would like to purchase a Jesus toaster, but they only seem available in the USA ? A “miracle” every morning would set me up just fine for the day !

• alf1200
    Sep 8, 2015 at 6:06 pm

(sorry, I’m a little angry about the “clerk” getting released from jail.)

Me too and she’s not even in my country so I feel your pain. I can’t wait for Real Time this Friday which was on break last week. I’ll get to download it Saturday morning over here and it’s always my big treat of the weekend, especially now I’m in withdrawal over Jon Stewart going away. Bill is going to rip this dingbat a new one hopefully along with Huckaloon and her other supporters.

• 17
    Jessica says:

I’m originally from one town over from Villa Rica. Please believe me when I tell you we aren’t all rubber maid plastic tub baptizing idiots in Georgia. I’m permanently cringing these days!

• I think the vast majority of the readers here understand the evils of stereotyping.
    I spent three years in Louisiana in the 70’s. I loved it there. The locals treated me well. And they knew I was from Washington State.

• What country are you from UK? As our elections rapid approaches the tension in this country is tightening.
    The right wing supporters are getting to the point where I am in fear of them.
    They don’t have facts. Just anger. They will tear down this country if they don’t get their way.
    Another reader in Manhattan, was telling me she would have to endure an argument every other day.
    They are itching for a fight. Not a conversation.

• Please believe me when I tell you we aren’t all rubber maid plastic tub baptizing idiots in Georgia. I’m permanently cringing these days!

Good for you! With any luck a lot of those boys in the photo watching that fool in the tub will wind up one day joining you!

• Can’t help but think that Christianity has come down a bit in the world. From the superb baptisteries and fonts of medieval Europe, situated in churches and cathedrals which are gems of engineering, aesthetics and spiritual striving….to a rubber tub in a footy field. Ah well.

• St. Patrick’s Cathedral in NYC just had a major renovation in anticipation of the Pope’s visit later this month. They can certainly afford it!

• Are you suggesting that those people who enjoy the mild paraphilia of “Golden Showers” are Vulgar, dirty and their reprehensible behaviour is an affront to your gentle sensibilities? You’ll be wanting them all jailed next me thinks…

• 30
    NearlyNakedApe says:

I think the “golden” quip is unnecessarily vulgar NNA.

Sure, but I’m a hairy, uneducated, lice infested ape from the backwaters of the rural “Deep North”. So I have an irresistible penchant for vulgarity…

Seriously though, vulgarity has always been an integral part of humor since the dawn of humanity. So every vulgar joke is unncessarily vulgar IMO. At the end of the day, the only valid metric for a joke is whether it’s funny or not.

The question often asked by Christians is: What would Jesus do?

Actually, I think that’s the question less often asked by Christians judging by how many Christians behave in the US.

The answer is: Think for himself.

According to the Gospel, the Jesus character did not instruct his followers to think for themselves. In fact, he did the very opposite as clearly demonstrated in John 20:24-29

Thomas was the only apostle who didn’t believe in the resurrection (could anyone blame him?). So he wanted to see Jesus and touch the stigmata of his hands in order to believe. When he did, Jesus grabbed the occasion to tell Thomas that blind faith is morally far superior to critical thinking:

“Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed”

A theme that was, BTW, abundantly and enthusiastically exploited in the writings of Thomas Aquino who called the inquisitiveness of the human mind a manifestation of Satan.

So the Christians who think critically do so at the peril of their faith. Litterally. And they will avoid doing so as much as possible. Because that is what Jesus would have told them to do.

• eejit
    Sep 11, 2015 at 9:24 am

Don’t they play on carpet in the US?

Best let some American supporters answer that question.

The original Rugby Football from which it is derived, is very much into mud!

• carpet

Astro-turf 😉

I know of one NFL stadium that reverted to grass (less injuries?).

High schools have grass fields, not certain about colleges / universities. Probably astro-turf, as this is where their marching bands play ( a big deal here). Reminds me of a high school band director who tried to sneak in a hymn recently.

• doing it wrong – head immersed

The video shows the whole procedure, Baptist style.

Unless the players were 18+, footage of minors shouldn’t of been released, imo. Especially, as has been pointed out, it was possibly done due to coercion / peer pressure.

Tebow was cut, no more on field prayers from him; unless, *dear god, why did they release me?

• I can only say NNA that for me your joke metric fell well short.

The Jesus reference was made in light of the fact that the Messiah never even suggested that people think for themselves; he wanted them to mindlessly follow him.