Sep 15, 2015

Erik de Castro

By Chris Rodda

Ever since the repeal of “Don’t ask, don’t tell,” there has been a non-stop effort by Christian fundamentalists to undermine the effect of the repeal. Coalitions have been formed to futilely continue to fight this fight that they already lost, members of Congress have introduced legislation aimed at weakening the protections and equality granted to LGB service members by the repeal, and a slew of stories of chaplains and other service members being persecuted for their Christian beliefs regarding homosexuality have been concocted and highly publicized.

One of the most often heard arguments from the anti-gay religious organizations, coalitions, congress members, and media outlets regarding LGB service members being allowed to serve openly, and now being allowed to get married, is that Christian chaplains are being forced to violate their beliefs and promote the so-called “gay agenda.” A particular argument that is constantly made is that in a post-DADT and post-DOMA military, chaplains can’t adhere to the beliefs and guidelines of their endorsing agency.

In order to serve in the military, a chaplain must have an endorsement from a recognized ecclesiastical endorsing agency – the religious organization for their faith or denomination that verifies their credentials, etc., and endorses them as being suitable to serve in the military as a chaplain of their faith or denomination. A military chaplain not only has to follow military regulations, but also whatever rules are imposed upon them by their endorsing agency, which means adhering to the religious beliefs and positions of that endorsing agency.

Read the full article by clicking the name of the source below.

8 comments on “Ranger Chaplain’s Endorsing Agency: Women in Combat ‘Contrary to Nature,’ ‘Biblical Duty of Man to Defend Woman’

• 1
    Miserablegit says:

So in is obvious, the U.S. Military has to watch out for ranger danger. Prosletysing morons who’s sole purpose in life is to turn the armed forces into a biblical propaganda weapon.

• I have never in my life needed, or asked, a man to defend me. I have had to defend myself against several men, though, and I daresay they had second thoughts about the “defenseless” nature of women whilst licking their literal and figurative wounds. And I’ve never been in the armed services, nor am I combat trained. I’m pretty damn sure female Rangers won’t require any men to barge over into the line of fire to “defend” them, either.

Also, exactly how is combat contrary to female nature? Among many animals, the female is a ferocious defender of herself and her offspring, taking on males much larger than themselves and often winning. I wouldn’t want to tangle with a female of our closest primate cousins, either.

This whole argument is a regressive, misogynistic, unscientific embarrassment for our armed services. I also happen to think that religious chaplains are a waste of time and money in the military, too. Enlisted men and women would be far better off with clinically trained and qualified psychiatrists and counselors.

• There’s a reason male troops are called “grunts.” Superior upper body strength. Add to this superior speed and quickness and, yes, testosterone compared to women and the case is complete for leaving combat to men. Combat is one [battle] field of human endeavor where manpower is literally required with no insult to women intended.

• If an army chaplain has to do something that breaches his faith, he shouldn’t do it. If he (and they’re almost always a he) can’t fulfill the job description he applied for on pseudo religious grounds, he should not have applied for the job. If he obtained the job through fraudulently lying to god while swearing on the bible to do his duty, then god should send him to hell, after he is dishonourably discharged.

Army Recruiter:- “Hi Chaplain. These are the duties you will be required to fulfill. Minister to gay people. Marry same sex people. Nil discrimination against anyone. Acceptance of other faiths. Secular religious ministrations across a diverse variety of beliefs and cultures. Adhere to Army regulations and the laws of the go(o)d’ol United States of America.
    Chaplain:- “Sir. I can’t do any of them because I would be breaching my personal god’s law.”
    Army Recruiter:- “Next”.

Don’t hire people who can’t or won’t do the job.

• Melvin
    Sep 16, 2015 at 3:02 am

That is so for infantry, but many military jobs can involve using mechanised systems where dexterity is required, or administrative support duties which do not involve direct personal physical conflict.

My mother-in-law was in the WRENs (Royal Navy) during WW2.
    Women in the military is not a new concept!

• That is so for infantry,

That’s what I’m talking about. The current reference point is the breaking news that three women, one a West Point graduate, passed the demanding physical tests of the Army Ranger training course. The army announced there are no immediate plans to send the women into combat.

We’re talking about the jobs that do require physical strength, speed and quickness on a battlefield (and not just in the case of John Wayne hand-to-hand combat) Women who want to fight in the infantry or special forces should be selected and treated without discrimination by the same standards as men. Upon successful completion of training, they should be combat-ready for assignment to units by the same assignment process as their “brothers.”

For the record, I have never served in the military. An above-average athlete in high school in the contact sport of (American) football, I was never particularly good in physical fights mostly because of temperament and partly because of deficits in overall physical strength compared to my opponents. We should be wary of anyone who comes on the site and blows bravado smoke about how tough and fearless they are in a barroom.

P.S.: I honor Alan’s mother-in-law for her service.