What I Believe to Be True – and How I Have Come to Believe It

Sep 15, 2015

By Daniel Genser

Almost five months ago, Devon and I stepped onto a plane at SeaTac Airport bound for Bali, Indonesia. In the months prior to that event, we sold almost all of our belongings, found a new home for our cat Maddy, and moved out of a beautiful home on an island we loved. Why?

I know that is a question many of you may have wondered at some point in the last few months. I’d like to set the record straight.

I am not intending to be provocative or controversial, but some of what you will read might be challenging. If it is difficult for you to read, please know that it has been infinitely more difficult to write it.

I have not been to a meeting of Jehovah’s Witnesses since we left the United States. Intentionally. In fact, the main purpose of leaving in the way we did was to make a difficult transition in our lives as graceful as possible.

I decided to stop going to meetings because my beliefs and values no longer align with the official policies of the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society and their affiliate corporations. Since there is absolutely no room in the JW organization for dissent, I decided to withdraw, move on with my life, and start over.

This article is my explanation for why and how I have changed my beliefs.

Read the full article by clicking the name of the source below.

10 comments on “What I Believe to Be True – and How I Have Come to Believe It

• Gosh! With a jumble of occultist beliefs like that, embedded in a total community/institution, which holds its members by an uncompromising belief system and dire spiritual threats, not to mention alienating family consequences, it would be difficult to know where or how to start. Escaping RCism was difficult enough.

• This bigoted and closed organisation does little to help humanity, and much to abuse its followers and relationships with friends and family.
    Arguing with them is largely a waste of time as it only allows them opportunities to deny evidence and reinforce their dogmatic views.

Their prime objective is recruitment of the unwary and the denial of science and altruistic morality.

They are visible in cities, handing out recruitment leaflets full of perverse thinking, denial of history, and anti-science nonsense, so I do a little to help protect the unwary, by always taking offered leaflets.
    I’ll take a chance on the bin further up the pavement eventually being converted as a JW! 🙂
    It would be helpful in reducing the circulating garbage information, and risk to innocents, if others did likewise!
    Not only that, but the distributors are made happy by upping the volume of their magazines (temporarily) in circulation!

• I’ve long thought that one of the fundamental ways you can tell if an organisation is a cult or a benevolent society is by what they do if you want to leave. If they disown you and force even family members to do the same then it’s a cult with teachings based on nonsense they’re desperate to hide the truth of. Truth can tolerate dissent and in fact science thrives on it. Dissent spots errors and leads to improved truths. Lies can’t tolerate dissent. The whole pack of cards collapses because there is no real substance at its foundation. When you look at JW, scientology, the Amish, the Westboro baptist church you know there is not a shred of truth in there or they wouldn’t need to shun anyone who doesn’t agree.

• JW suits those who don’t like to think for themselves and who like to believe they are part of a chosen people. For everybody else it is a cult to be avoided. It is authoritarian in the extreme.

• 5
    Trondesson says:

That is true, in a more or less recognizable way, for every religion, especially the monotheistic ones. They are actually all cults with superstitious beliefs in imaginary beings and illusions.

• I have an acquaintance whose mother is a JW, and if they come to his door he invites them in, and being familiar with all their tactics and vernacular, he bamboozles them into thinking he’s ripe for conversion; a bit cruel, but good fun.

• Stafford Gordon
    Sep 20, 2015 at 5:45 am

They will of course recognise that any challenging material, is just the deceptive work of the devil, who (according to their indoctrination), controls all non-JW people, dismiss it, press the mental re-set button, and resume their usual JW beliefs.

• I thought I was safe from these mad bastards. I live half a mile down a farm track, 2 miles from the nearest 2 lane road in the depths of rural Aberdeenshire and still got one of the nutters ringing the door bell with her 4 year old daughter in tow.

• Hi all,

I just noticed today that my story was picked up here. I think it’s important to consider how much undue influence plays a part in perpetuating belief systems of groups like Jehovah’s Witnesses. The vast majority of newly baptized Jehovah’s Witnesses are minors and children of existing Jehovah’s Witnesses, who were raised under a steady dose of indoctrination throughout their lives. Most adults who become Jehovah’s Witnesses are recruited while in a vulnerable state, due to a life transition, or tragedy in their lives.

I see most individual JWs (and other members of authoritarian religious groups) to be primarily victims of undue influence. There certainly are complete power hungry assholes in the group, too. But ultimately, I think this is a harmful organization and belief system that produces victims. Try to keep that in mind when you meet them.