Moderate coffee drinking may be linked to reduced risk of death

Nov 18, 2015

By Science Daily

In a study reported in the American Heart Association journal Circulation, people who regularly drank moderate amounts of coffee daily –less than 5 cups per day — experienced a lower risk of deaths from cardiovascular disease, neurological diseases, Type 2 diabetes and suicide.

The benefit held true for drinking caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee, suggesting it’s not just the caffeine providing health perks but possibly the naturally occurring chemical compounds in the coffee beans.

“Bioactive compounds in coffee reduce insulin resistance and systematic inflammation,” said Ming Ding, M.D., the study’s first author and doctoral student at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health in Boston, Massachusetts. “They might be responsible for the inverse association between coffee and mortality. However, more studies are needed to investigate the biological mechanisms producing these effects.”

The findings are based on data from three large ongoing studies: 74,890 women in the Nurses’ Health Study; 93,054 women in the Nurses’ Health Study 2; and 40,557 men in the Health Professionals Follow-up Study.

Continue reading the entire article by clicking the name of the source below.

18 comments on “Moderate coffee drinking may be linked to reduced risk of death

• OH BEANS! And I already have HBP cardiovascular blockage and I can’t drink coffee. Now I’m gonna die. Crap…………..at least I haven’t killed myself. I think I’ll go have a steak with wrapped bacon and a order of grease……….

• Oh, this is a good news for those who drink 3 ‘cups’ per day (here I am!). In Italy we do not drink it in cups: 40-45 milliliters of coffee is the amount accepted by consumers for the espresso (I think is less than a cup as the americans mean it).
    Anyway, I am waiting for the next OMS conclusion about the correlation between coffee consumption and cancer risk, given that the previous conclusion about red meat products created a funny and entertaining mayhem among ignorants (that is, 90% of the italian population) on Facebook…

• Shade-growing coffee plants linked to good environmental practices, as opposed to slash and burn sun variety for expedited profit.

• bonnie
    Nov 19, 2015 at 7:41 am

Shade-growing coffee plants linked to good environmental practices,

Let’s include the workers in that!

Around 125 million people worldwide depend on coffee for their livelihoods. Coffee is the most valuable and widely traded tropical agricultural product and 25 million smallholder farmers produce 80% of the world’s coffee. But many of them fail to earn a reliable living from coffee.

Fairtrade was started in response to the dire struggles of Mexican coffee farmers following the collapse of world coffee prices in the late 1980s. With Fairtrade, certified coffee producer organisations are guaranteed to receive at least the Fairtrade Minimum Price for their coffee, which aims to cover their costs of production and act as a safety net when market prices fall below a sustainable level. Through their producer organisations, farmers also receive the additional Fairtrade Premium to invest in business or community improvements and must use at least 25 per cent of it to enhance productivity and quality, for example by investing in processing facilities. In 2012-13, certified coffee farmers earned an estimated £32 million in Premiums that were invested in farmer services and community projects.

• It’s interesting that suicide is now quite frequently becoming apparent as a disease risk associated with various dietary and lifestyle factors. Which makes sense seeing as pretty much all other NCDs have common contributing causes.

It was just announced that suicide is the leading cause of death (5 x greater than other causes) in the Australian construction industry. (The most dangerous occupation.) People in this industry also experience the worst nutrition practices and recreational substance abuse.

Whether psychological or otherwise, reduced disease risk linked with coffee consumption seems likely to be misleading: Coffee consumption may be an unintended mechanism that filters sweetness preferences in a large population. Coffee being relatively bitter. Adding sugar to coffee only modulates the flavour rather than turning it into a conventional confectionery drink like sports drinks, fruit juice, or cordial.

Many people raised from birth on sugar fortified baby foods now prefer to get their caffeine dosage via more palateable and heavily marketed pharmaceuticals like Coke and Pepsi. Sugar can have very interesting effects on people’s taste. Which makes things like coffee just plain uninteresting to those afflicted. If you hang out at Maccas you’ll see that people who eat large servings of chips and burgers will always have a coke. Others who order the coffee only have the coffee, or possibly a salad. But seldom the supersized meal deal.

There’s a similar effect with chilli consumption, red wine, and dark chocolate. (The unsweetened cocoa kind, assuming that not all recent publicity was only for the chocolate hoax.)

The real link being that people who tend to consume less sugars and starches, or other glycating molecules like alcohol and nicotine, must (in theory) have better health outcomes. Which implies there’s no mysterious bioactive compounds in either coffee, cocoa, red wine, chilli, or other exotic superfoods. One has to retain a non-sugar calibrated sense of taste to even be interested in anything that isn’t an industrially processed confectionery pseudo-food. The thing that makes the difference is what isn’t there, not what is there.

Here’s the theory for anyone interested:

or the cheap version: http://clasfaculty.ucdenver.edu/bstith/glucoseaging.pdf

The coffee study is already controlling for alcohol and nicotine consumption, which are acute glycating molecules. By selecting positively for coffee consumption they will also be heavily biasing for reduced starch and sugar consumption, the milder but chronic glycating molecules of glucose and fructose. Drinkers and smokers who consume coffee tend to be just as chronically ill as drinkers and smokers who don’t consume coffee – so presumably not much of a disease mitigating impact of bioactive coffee compounds.

Coffee may yet turn out to be the ideal medication for people who aren’t sick and aren’t going to get sick. But it probably won’t help much for people who have already made themselves sick.

• The problem with this and all similar studies is in determining causation. It’s possible that coffee drinkers as a group tend to have other characteristics that confer health benefits such as being more physically active. Anyway, at least they haven’t said that drinking coffee is bad for you!

My wife is from Colombia where they take coffee drinking quite seriously. Adding milk or sugar is frowned on. My father-in-law, who recently celebrated his 101st birthday, has drunk home-grown and roasted coffee for most of his adult life – so maybe there is something to this. (He’s also drunk beer most of his life so that gives me some encouragement!)

• I definitely agree with the suicide part. If it wasn’t for coffee, people like me wouldn’t still be walking around. It saved my tired ass; I’ll tell you that. As for preventing neurological disease and heart disease there is a large genetic and environmental component to that, as we all know. These studies are very iffy. People have too much time on their hands. (I have to admit, however, that I hope this study is right. I drink almost as much coffee as Balzac.)

Gerson’s wrong, Mr. Smith. Cure cancer? I watched my father die of cancer. It’s an ugly, powerful disease. Once it metastasizes you’re screwed. Tell me that a coffee enema can shrink a tumor. Come on. Don’t kid yourself.

(Perhaps you were joking.)

• I love all these health articles. Now I understand that my consumption of coffee, chocolate and red wine mean I’m gonna live forever. Plus recent announcements mean I’m better off frying in lard than any of these polyunsaturated oils like sunflower, canola.

I’m oddly reminded of Woody Allen’s “Sleeper” – in the future, tobacco will be recognised as healthy, and doctors all smoke….

• Tobacco will be replaced by cannabis because cannabinoids apparently cause poptosis in tumours and stops matastisis in its tracks, however good luck using it legally to save your own life because there’s more money in chemo for the government, at the moment. It’s also a conflict of interest for the luminati as it will slow down their plan for a global population reduction to a more manageable 500 million elite religiots, in the near future.

• I like your comment, OHooligan. And I appreciated what you had to say about color. I wrote a reply.
    Red wine! Great for an alcoholic.
    Aspirin is supposed to be good for the heart, yet it causes internal bleeding. Those advertisers tell us to take one a day!
    Vitamin A is supposed to prevent macular degeneration but in excess it causes cancer, according to my eye doctor who knows his shit.
    Caffeine can cause panic and anxiety. Stress is not good for one’s health.
    That aside, I love coffee. It must be a gift from the gods – like fire.
    One thing I do know: leafy greens are good for you, period.