WATCH: Egypt TV host rags on ‘disgraceful’ atheism

Nov 18, 2015

by Stuart Winer

A recent debate about atheists on Egyptian TV deteriorated into a shouting match after the guest nonbeliever objected to the host describing atheist views as “unfortunate.”

Human rights activist and declared atheist Ahmed Harqan faced off against two others as a guest on the Al-Assema channel on November 3 for a discussion of his ideology. The talk show was hosted by actress and presenter Rania Mahmoud Yassin.

Yassin cheerfully introduced the segment by saying, “Atheism is not a new phenomenon, but unfortunately it exists in our society,” according to a translation of the exchange provided by the Washington-based Middle East Media Research Institute.

“The truth is that the phenomenon has begun spreading like wildfire,” she continued. “Unfortunately, it exists in Egypt. By now we have 866 atheists, and they have a significant presence in social media.”

Read more by clicking on the name of the source below.

22 comments on “WATCH: Egypt TV host rags on ‘disgraceful’ atheism

• I know I’m being panglossian here but I’m surprised that an atheist in that part of the world was invited onto a talk show at all. And he apparently left with his head still attached to his own shoulders which is something that I wouldn’t have predicted would happen! Any out of the closet atheist that has appeared on TV must have been seen by other atheists that are not out yet. His comments will be remembered even if they are scoffed at initially. All credit to this guy for having the guts to walk out on that stage.

• Human rights activist and declared atheist Ahmed Harqan faced off against two others as a guest on the Al-Assema channel on November 3 for a discussion of his ideology.

I’ll rag on that. Atheism is not an ideology.

What was really “unfortunate” was having to watch that “debate” unfold. Even through subtitles it showed that religion makes one say the stupidest things imaginable.

• Good for Harqan (who ever his is). Yay Harqan! Good job. Brave lad. (No sarcasm intended.) God was that lady annoying. Jesus! “You can’t comment on what I say.” What a fucking moron. And did you hear the question that imbecile next to her asked? “What proof do you have that God (Allah) doesn’t exist?” Same old crap. This is a good sign. I hope more people like this fellow start doing that over there. It’ll catch “like wildfire” if we’re lucky.

• “Disgraceful ideas ” says the host ? Never mind that the US government supports the Egyptian military with millions of dollars, atheism merely means the non-belief in God or gods. The fact that I don’t believe in Allah, Jesus nor any other god, in no way makes my non-belief “disgraceful”. Religious arrogance yet again. They always know better, they can always trump your ace ! Not in this case, nor any other case.

• alf1200

Ok and I didn’t know what a pangolin is. Looked it up. All set. 🙂

Agree that they had no intension of having a civilized discussion. Not so panglossian after all.

• Neodarwinian
    Nov 18, 2015 at 11:21 pm

Now why does that comment remind me of this?

John Cleese Versus Malcolm Muggeridge And The Bishop of the Southwark. .. . . on the film “The Life of Brian”.

• I read that the Egyptian government has made decrees that if any parent is worried about their children turning into atheists they can have them committed to a psychiatric institution as obviously atheism is a form of mental illness. So they have their own way of making sure unbelief does not spread not quite as severe as beheading but just as degrading as a lashing.
    Obviously the 0.001 of the Egyptian population (they wish) that identifies as atheists are a big problem for them, though they haven’t committed any terrorist acts yet unlike the scores carried out by the Al Quaida, Muslim Brotherhood et al.

• mr_DNA
    Nov 20, 2015 at 7:37 am

I think the historical expression is:
    “The lunatics have taken over the asylum”!
    In this case, they have also altered the medical staff “white coat uniform”, to give credibility to their claim! http://www.ebay.com/bhp/islamic-clothing-men

• @phil rimmer @alf1200 Forgive my ignorance, but does “to rag on” mean to verbally attack (someone) in an irrational manner as might befit the stereotype of the female cycle? If so, then, agreed, poor choice of words.

• Panglossian, readers, means excessive optimism. Good word to use when describing someone who is excessively optimistic. Pollyanna is a more popular word. I don’t like the sound of the adjective: pollyannaish.

• No they do not send to a psychiatric institution that would have been easy but they can imprison them on the account of blasphemy we already have a case of a young man whose father denounced in court and is now running from the police with a 3 years prison sentence on his head and no country is interested in giving him asylum

• I notice the tag MEMRI tv. This is a pro-Israel propaganda organization. It’s a tainted source.

And you are an anti-Semite? Propaganda, my a**- MEMRI monitors and translates Arabic sites.
    That’s all.