New Diabetes Cases, at Long Last, Begin to Fall in the United States

Dec 1, 2015

After decades of relentless rise, the number of new cases of diabetes in the United States has finally started to decline.

The rate of new cases fell by about a fifth from 2008 to 2014, according to researchers at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the first sustained decline since the disease started to explode in this country about 25 years ago.

The drop has been gradual and for a number of years was not big enough to be statistically meaningful. But new data for 2014 released on Tuesday serves as a robust confirmation that the decline is real, officials said. There were 1.4 million new cases of diabetes in 2014, down from 1.7 million in 2008.

“It seems pretty clear that incidence rates have now actually started to drop,” said Edward Gregg, one of the C.D.C.’s top diabetes researchers. “Initially it was a little surprising because I had become so used to seeing increases everywhere we looked.”

Experts say they do not know whether efforts to prevent diabetes have finally started to work, or if the disease has simply peaked in the population. But they say the shift tracks with the nascent progress that has been reported recently in the health of Americans.

To continue reading the entire article, please click the name of the source below.

24 comments on “New Diabetes Cases, at Long Last, Begin to Fall in the United States

• “You got mud on yo face, a big disgrace, kickin’ your can all over the place” – Queen.

Seriously, access to affordable healthy foods is problematic. Neighborhoods try to round out plentiful, cheap carbs by growing their own vegetables and greens.

• Yikes, the Queen lyric I quoted was not personal. Rather, simply word association and patterns that at times bedevil me – apologies.

• Olgun

Bonnie is right about prices of healthy, locally sourced organic food. It’s very expensive. I love to stop by the farmer’s market street side stands and pick up veggies and fruit picked that morning but I always get a shock when they tally up my choices. I really don’t think it’s possible for anyone to maintain a constant diet of farm fresh food for an entire family. I’d compile a list of of the items you requested but here in New England the farmers have packed it in for the winter to come.

Instead, I’ll tell you a story of the most outrageous food elitism that almost choked me on the spot. I was at Harvard for an evening lecture (ok, ok, so it’s elitist Harvard, so sue me) a while back, on the topic of – what did they call it? – ancient grains or some such title. There was an organic farmer there who has searched far and wide for wheat and/or other types of very old grain seeds and has now created a gorgeous farm in western Massachusetts where she grows these antique varieties and also has a bakery where she turns them into fresh bread. So this woman had free samples of her fantastic bread at the lecture and after the first bite I was smitten with that bread. I turned to my friend and announced my intention to buy a loaf and bring it home to serve it forthwith to my husband. I picked up a loaf to check the price and was stunned to see a price of twenty dollars. Sadly, I set it back down and left without the gorgeous bread.

• Thanks Laurie.

I really was interested because the same can be said here except if you shop at ethnic shops. Fresh produce comes from Turkey at half, if not less, the price than traditional supermarkets here. Unfortunately, to contrast that, anything from Cyprus is a third more expensive and sells as a premium product. At the hight of the season, I can get a sack (25kg) of potatoes for around £5 normally but Cyprus potatoes were £27 this summer. There is a chain of Kurdish/Turkish that has sprung up over the last ten years or so that we buy all our fruit and veg from that are much tastier and and cheaper than the insipid super market ones. I love to make a paella (much better than any restaurant I’ve eaten in, even if I do say so my self, except for ‘Bar Espania’ in Menorca, Es Castell, if anyone holidays there. My mouth is watering!) but the price of saffron is frightening. We know get our saffron from Indian shops. A whole display case full for the price of a pinch in other shops. Not as good quality, or so I am told, but more than adequate. Fish is very expensive with most shell fish even more so. I know buy that at, wait for it………Costco. Tubs of mixed shell fish with baby octopus that is perfect for my paella.

All this will only work in the cities and suburbs of I suppose and is useless advise for others but shopping around does work if ethnic shops are the norm. I have noticed the prices have started to go up lately but are still better than supermarkets and where tomatoes actually taste of tomatoes.

My list to bonnie was because of what we eat as nations as well. A Mediterranean breakfast can be a boiled egg, tomatoes, cucumber, olives, toast (I am sure you know the middle eastern/north african round bread) a little cheese (salty cheese goes best) honey or a preserve and is healthier than most and much more satisfying than a bowl of over sugared serials but the biggest factor being how much you eat, America being known as the land of plenty…I have been lucky in that I have never been able to eat huge amounts and when I am full I can push the plate away. The english breakfast is a wonderful thing, in small amounts, but you can usually tell what some people are going to order by the size of their bellies in the queue. The cafe owners make it easy for them by piling a huge amount into a fixed meal and giving it a number. “I’ll have a number four”, gives them escape from the long list they would have to give that would probably make them realise they are ordering far too much. Having said that, I have started putting on a few pounds since I have started cooking at home due to early retirement. My cooking is so much better than my wife’s 😉

There is so much we can do to eat better and cheaper but don’t. I borrowed a bread maker from my daughter and used some Canadian stone ground whole wheat flour, that was much cheaper than I thought, and made some very tasty bread. It disappeared too quickly though so am in two minds whether to get a bread maker for myself. Some things are just too good..

Contrast that with the council estates I worked in for forty years and you get a different story for at least 50% of them. Hardly any fresh foods at all and they have access to the same shops I have. I am not even sure they spend less than we do because the rubbish some eat are piled high. The skinnier ones tend to have less money and less food on the shelves but still do not eat healthy with more of an excuse. My friends son grew up on chocolate. A plate of food would be put on the table for him but he would have a mouthful, look as if he were going to be sick and head for the sweat cupboard. He was never overweight but was always, and I mean always, bad tempered and difficult. Don’t know how much of that was the chocolate and how much was due to the fact his parents let him get away with what he wanted.

• bonnie

If all the chocolate were to mysteriously disappear from this earth in just five minutes from now, my reaction would be – meh, whatever. But bread is a devastating temptation, especially if it’s still warm from the oven. Our local supermarket has a bakery section that, floods the store with the aroma of fresh baked bread. The marketing success is obvious as lines of shoppers drift toward that bakery section like zombies. I direct myself well around that section while repeating to myself, “One day at a time…one day at a time…” so you can clearly see that to get in my car and drive over to Walmart for that ancient grains bread would be a deliberate fall off the wagon, right? Bread does have sugar in it but it might as well be sugar for the fast path to glucose that it takes. American fatties need to get off the bread fix pronto.

• 12
    bonnie says:

ancient grains…

…Cheerios. crunchy, bite size, extra tempting. Females I know nod in agreement > “we’d eat the whole box if it were in front of us”.

• Farmers market I went to once. A complete rip off and a fashion trend of over priced produce that does not have to be so expensive. You can tell that, in the UK at least, by the non-farmers it attracts who quickly set up stalls to make a killing.

That’s not hugely surprising though is it?

Fish fingers are ACTUALLY the fingers of fish, according to one fifth of Brit adults

• Olgun

ethnic shops.

Yes, I agree about the ethnic shops. By the way, “ethnic” is now a politically incorrect term in these here parts. When someone who is strolling around with a full display of phenotypes that could only have come about by way of Northern Europe (et-HEM, moi) says “ethnic” or “the ethnics”, it’s definitely going to elicit expressions of hostility from “an ethnic” who happens to be standing nearby. We need to say, “Let’s go over to the Armenian neighborhood where they sell that awesome olive oil!” Ha. Now Dan will swoop down upon me to vent his aggravation with political correctness. So be it.

Boston neighborhoods are still segregated along ethnic lines (for better or for worse) and one can wander through Chinatown for their eateries and food stores or the North End for the Italian food and Watertown for the Armenian, Syrian and Lebanese foods and spices. I’m not sure if they are cheaper but they are of excellent quality and the shopping experience is very cool. As soon as I walk into the place I get knocked down by the wave of stink that is the result of open barrels of marinated olives, many kinds of fresh cheese, stacks of large olive oil tins (at least one has leaked all over the floor) and many strange and diverse spices and roots and items that I can’t even identify that are stacked haphazardly in every nook and cranny of these places.

Along with the “ethnic” shops we also have Haymarket which is a large outdoor, year round market in the center of Boston that has been there since I was a kid and is a good source of produce with the best prices around. It used to be monopolized by the Italian immigrant who were known to be “rough around the edges” and would yell at their clients if they tried to pick out their own selection of items from the displays. Shouting and fights can be heard all through the place. Now there is a more diverse crowd of vendors as our waves of immigrants here varies from one generation to the next. Here are the images for haymarket Boston:

Costco is our best source for lamb meat. It’s from New Zealand and is better and cheaper than what I find at the local supermarket.

The english breakfast is a wonderful thing, in small amounts,

Well, that’s followed the English all the way over the Atlantic ocean along with their genes. I can see that in an agricultural setting it was probably a good thing to pile up the calories to offset the physical hard work of the day but now it’s an absolute disaster for the more sedentary lifestyle of the average office worker.

I agree that the Mediterranean diet is a wonderful improvement over the old meat and potatoes selection that I grew up on. The only thing I’ve done to alter that is to eliminate much of the bread and other big servings of carbs that goes along with big family cooking in that region. The only big carb food that hangs on in my house is of course…couscous. That’s not on the list of foods that could be cut around here.

My husband is a much better cook than I am and that was a great feature in his favor in the dating days. 🙂

• As I have stated in another thread Laurie in which I said I could use the ‘N’ word (Neanderthal) being an Eurasian, I also claim to be able to use the ‘ethnic’ word as I belong to that group as well. 😉

absolute disaster for the more sedentary lifestyle of the average
    office worker.

Climbing the stairs instead of the elevator or walking part way home is a small price to pay for a small version of the breakfast maybe just once or twice a week. Seriously though, portions go way beyond what is necessary and we need to be educated in that way too rather than banning anything and everything. It gets very confusing with retailers and producers countering recommended foods and the way to balance the confusion has been portions for me. Getting used to eating less works as far as I am concerned along with knowledge of what you are eating.

Great pictures BTW. Looks like they should be cheaper than super markets?

• Olives need to to soaked or treated to reduce the natural bitterness,

That bitterness is what we Turkish Cypriots love. Green olives are collected just before they turn black (a little less bitter I agree than completely unrippened) cracked (between two stoned in the traditional way) and marinated in olive oil (to coat not cover), garlic, lemon and crushed coriander seeds is a favourite at breakfast time. Time does take away some more of the bitterness but being green, not all.

• Olgun

I also claim to be able to use the ‘ethnic’ word as I belong to that group as well. ?

It’s like Tim Minchin says, “Only a ginger can call another ginger…ginger.”

• I’m Scouse. That’s ethnic, isn’t it?

After reading Neuro-Tribes by Steve Silberman, I think Aspie may be an ethnicity now.

Clearly ethnicity is a multidimensional and contingent social construct in need of a phone app. to manage it. You enter all relevant details (well Google does), gingerosity, aspiedom, parents, birth location, education location, nationality and the app, linked to the GPS, can tell you your current ethnicity in percent. This can be used in social interactions to decide who gets to tell who to shut the fck up.

• Phil and Olgun

I know a bestseller App when I see one! We three will split the enormous profit and any day now we will be zillionaires! In the American super-politically correct environment right now we just can’t lose on this thing.

• Deal!

My second invention of the evening (if the mods could keep looking at those squirels over there), is the PC or phone Bluetooth controlled Positive Reinforcement Gift Box. This is a sort of B.F.Skinner Advent Calendar with little rewards (probably chocolate) that someone can remotely reward you with by sending the remote signal. Instead of or as well as upvotes say in discussion groups you may be able to reward a stranger with a chocolate, cultivating net niceness, though perhaps at the expense of a new surge in diabetes.