The 12 Days of Evolution with It’s Okay To Be Smart

Dec 14, 2015

It’s Okay To Be Smart is bringing you a series covering the basics of evolution and natural selection, why they are the foundation of biology, and how we know that Darwin’s discovery is 100% true.

From December 14-25, they’ll have a new video every day answering the most common questions about evolution and natural selection. Everything from “What IS evolution, anyway?” and “Have we ever seen evolution happen?” to “Are humans still evolving?” and “Why are there still monkeys?”

Stay tuned for more – their Facebook and YouTube are linked in the sources below (click the name of the source).

33 comments on “The 12 Days of Evolution with It’s Okay To Be Smart

• I’ve heard, and asked, some stupid questions, but arguably, the dumbest one I’ve ever had the misfortune to repeatedly hear, is: “If evolution is true, why do monkeys still exist?

For the same reason that a tree goes on existing after it’s grown a new twig.

That, is a simple, salient, incontrovertible fact, that cannot be refudiated!

Well, Shakespeare made up new words.

And I don’t claim to be the suppository of all wisdom.

• I can only imagine one explanation for the existence of Republicans and Tories, Phil; they’re probably the result of a regressive mutation or genetic drift.

I loathe employing ad hominem statements, but, no one’s perfect; so I cite the prime example of Donald – someone, get this dead cat off the top of my head – Trump.

Sorry mods, went a bit off piste again there.

• Google Sarah Palin quotes, Olgun.

I’d rather not. Cant afford to lose any more IQ points.

I forget who said he wasn’t the suppository of all wisdom

Damn! fell for that one and googled. Tony Abbott. There goes another brain cell!!!

• Sarah Palin quotes {…} I’d rather not

I kid you not“. This actual quote of her belongs with the Fruit Fly article.

It has morphed (for me anyway) into a euphemism for persons who quickly dismiss any constructive / future benefits of science research; in lieu of delving, they mock.

• And I don’t claim to be the suppository of all wisdom.

Australia had the dumbest leader in our history until very recently. He’s a Creationist of the Catholic variety and therefore doesn’t accept evolution, save for the influenza virus. Named Abbott he once trained for the priesthood but quit when he got his girlfriend pregnant and became a politician instead. Uniquely he’s the only world leader to dismantle a carbon tax.

Unlike Gordon Abbott used ‘suppository’ in the following, serious sense –

David R Allen must be on holidays or he would surely have told the group about this one. Dumber than Trump.

• Argh! Sorry Olgun. I was so excited I neglected to read all the entries carefully.

It was very funny though, so I’m glad I’ve furnished the short video for everyone’s enjoyment. It illustrates, I think, that it wasn’t a slip of the tongue by Abbott.

• Argh! Sorry Olgun

It is worth posting. I am a prolific ‘suppositor’ of videos here so I thought better not to on the occasion.

• I’m no fan of Mr. Abbott, and he certainly has his foibles and weaknesses, but he’s a nice enough fellow (for a politician) and infinitely preferable to Mr. Trump who proving himself to be a thoroughly unpleasant toe rag. (I’m no big fan of Ms. Clinton either, but I sincerely hope she gets in.)

Of course, I quite liked Latham when he got the Labor leadership (some of his ideas weren’t at all bad) but he turned out to barking mad.

I later switched my sympathies to Rudd, who started out well enough, but he turned out to be a control freak. (I still have room to wonder, can he truly be as bad as he was painted by his colleagues, or was he just a good leader surrounded by mediocrities…? Probably a bit of both: an insufferable control freak surrounded by mediocrities.)

Mr. Turnbull seems quite good, and I’ve long hoped he would get leadership of his party (and become PM), but I don’t have a good track record in this regard.

• There are some clear short explanatory videos on the link – and as to be expected – some know-it-all, scientifically illiterate, evolution deniers, commenting and asserting their “superior” thinking skills and knowledge.

• some know-it-all, scientifically illiterate, evolution deniers, commenting and asserting their “superior” thinking skills and knowledge.

Even after the videos and numerous detailed explanatory posts, the creationists come up with arguments of the form: “I’m pig ignorant of biology, and know nothing about bottom dwelling fish which walk on fins, Tiktaalik fossils, Walking Catfish, or Mud Skippers, so fish can’t transitionally evolve into amphibians – Oh and I only know of one type of complex eye, so god-did-eyes”!

It seems that most of the creationist trolls who used to come to RDFS, now infest Facebook and Youtube!

• Sometimes there are avatar names asserting some property of a poster which are comically ironic!

The irrational assertions, psychological projections, posturings, and denials, of the Youtube poster going by the name of “Objective Truth” are classic D-K. creationist ignorance !
    “Subjective ignorance” would be just too honest a description for self recognition!

• This troll is back on the “Can Evolution Create Information?” discussion!

Objective Truth 13 hours ago
    he did not explain because he knows it’s cockamamie.

Like most air-heads where nothing evidenced or rational connects to functional brain cells, he has his own (much repeated knee-jerk) answer to all the sciency stuff he denies and can’t or won’t understand!

If it’s not god-did-it-by-magic, it’s “cockamamie”!

• Stafford Gordon
    Dec 14, 2015 at 12:48 pm

If humans were intelligently designed, why do creationists exist??? 🙂

• This nice short clear set of videos, has provided basic explanations for many thousands of viewers, and some examples of “evangelical god-did-its”, sitting in know-all denial, and learning nothing!
    Some even have the arrogance to pretend they have superior knowledge of science – Despite the obvious fact that they don’t even know what the scientific definition of a “species” or a “theory”, is!

• I would suggest that anyone confronted with, “Evolution is only a theory”, responds with: –

“I would not repeat that unless you want to make a fool of yourself!”

” That’s not a statement about biology. It is and expression of personal scientific illiteracy, demonstrating that those making such statements are so ignorant of the subject, that they don’t even know the definitions of the scientific terms, and have no idea what a scientific theory is!”
    (Comprehension level zero!)

• Alan4discussion
    Dec 27, 2015 at 12:47 pm

” That’s not a statement about biology. It is and expression of personal scientific illiteracy, demonstrating that those making such statements are so ignorant of the subject, that they don’t even know the definitions of the scientific terms.

Similarly, creationists babbling on about “species” while denying speciation, because they only understand species in terms of a single (type) individual with a single genome! They are often unaware cladistic ideas like sub-species, gene-pools and genera, having learned nothing of merit in school, and subsequebtly argue with cut and pasted asserted denialist drivel from the likes of Ham and Hovind!

A species is often defined as a group of individuals that actually or potentially interbreed in nature. In this sense, a species is the biggest gene pool possible under natural conditions.

• Does Evolution Have a Point? 12 Days of Evolution #12

I thought this assertive creationist posturing was a gem!

kerrywsmyth 8 hours ago
    +Andromalius dex You won’t beat me in debate. I’ve been debating some of the greatest minds in biology for years and my argument is completely air tight.

Interpreted correctly, I think this means her air-head mind is tight closed, so has learned nothing about gene-pool diversity, natural selection, and speciation, from biologists who understand the subject, so continues to sit in denial of evolution! Isn’t self-delusion impressive!!

As I have said many times, a disbelief in a Creator of the universe and particularly, life is exactly equivilent to a belief in NO Creator. The reason for this is that creator or no creator is a true dichotomy.

Those default-god-blinkers, allow no idea about the huge range of creation myths. – Turtles all the way down!

I have argued that Atheism requires the universe is created from nothing for no reason, and that Abiogenesis is true. The jury is out on the former, but science has ruled out Abiogenesis. Therefore No Creator is up against the ropes, and the only alternative looks to be closer to something someone can “know”.

Some ignoramus asserts science has ruled out abiogenesis despite the work on modern genetics, and adds that the origins of the Big-Bang is uncertain! (Therefore [my pet] god-did-it-by magic)!
    Laughable!!

• The 12 Days of Evolution – Complete Series!

This assertive troll persists on the link comments.

Dan Cameron 13 hours ago (edited)

Re: “Mythology is not truth. Science is truth. Evidence is truth.”

Exactly, that why Richard Dawkins could not provide any evidence.

I put out a challenge to Richard Dawkins on December 8th, 2015 through Twitter for LCA / chimpanzee/bonobo (panin) and human (hominin) lineages fossil evidence yet he failed to provide it. I called the bluff and now declare human evolution has been refuted.

Ha! ha! ha! A scientific illiterate who does not know what a scientific theory is, does not understand the term species, and does not know the difference between scientific evidence and his own god-delusion’s personal prejudices, has “refuted evolution” because Richard Dawkins won’t waste his time talking “detailed genetics of fossils” to an idiot, who has nothing to offer but denial, comically incompetent assertions (copied or pasted for pseudoscience web-sites), and bible quotes!

Dan Cameron 13 hours ago
    The Tower of Babel explains why there’s so many different languages, it’s part of history.

Yeah! – or at least what creationists claim to be history!!!

He has probably also “refuted” linguistic studies, because linguists won’t debate the Tower of Babel with him!!!

The egos of those fundamentalist god-delusions are massive and unrestrained, when they inhabit micro-intellects!

Dan Cameron 13 hours ago – Evidence of “our fish ancestors”? That’s rubbish.

Persistent trolling creationist assertions from rent-a-parrot, with not one clear scientific explanation from anyone connecting to a brain cell!

Fundamentalist indoctrination really does inhibit brain development from reaching Piaget’s (11years+) “formal operational stage” where reasoning skills come to the fore!

Formal Operations
    Proposed Age Range – Age 11 or 12 through adulthood
    General Description

Logical reasoning processes are applied to abstract ideas as well as concrete objects and situations. Many capabilities essential for advanced reasoning in science and mathematics appear.

• The 12 Days of Evolution – Complete Series! -Comments

Why are there still chimps, and why are there still creationists, who have not studied evolution sufficiently to know that species BRANCH on the tree of life? – but still feel qualified to comment on the subject!!

Josh Bray 9 hours ago
    All you dumb Atheists, God created man, not Chimps. It’s logic guys! If we descended from Chimps, wouldn’t we still be chimps and not a entirely different species? Just like for example wolves. During the Ice Age, they were wild vicious creatures but then Man tamed them so they would be domesticated.

Yeah! Right! Humans domesticated SOME wolves and SELECTED traits in breeding them, which suited working, hunting, or pet dogs!

WHY ARE THERE STILL WOLVES ????

When these wolves were domesticated, they were companions to us humans and protected us or what we would consider today as dogs/pets. NOW, DID THESE WOLVES EVOLVE AND CHANCE {CHANGE?} SPECIES or WERE THEY TAMED?

Yeah! A poodle, a terrier, or a greyhound, is just an unchanged tamed wolf!!! (allegedly) [Looking through faith-blinkers, it’s obvious – isn’t it?]

They were tamed so therefore, back to my main point; did Man descend from Chimps. The simple answer is NOPE, God created us.

Laughable!!! Chimps, Bononos and humans, all descended from a common ancestor on the branches of the evolutionary tree.

Any scientists making claims at this level of ignorance, would be embarrassed! “Faith” apparently, gives immunity to this sort of embarrassment, and instead decides to be “offended” by criticism and mockery of asserted ignorance!

It’s logic guys!

Ah! The creationist badge of pseudo-logic!