2 Abortion Foes Behind Planned Parenthood Videos Are Indicted

Jan 25, 2016

Photo credit: Ralph Barrera/Austin American-Statesman, via Associated Press

By Manny Fernandez

A grand jury here that was investigating accusations of misconduct against Planned Parenthood has instead indicted two abortion opponents who made undercover videos of the organization.

Prosecutors in Harris County said one of the leaders of the Center for Medical Progress — an anti-abortion group that made secretly recorded videos purporting to show Planned Parenthood officials trying to illegally profit from the sale of fetal tissue — had been indicted on a charge of tampering with a governmental record, a felony, and on a misdemeanor charge related to purchasing human organs.

That leader, David Daleiden, 26, the director of the center, had posed as a biotechnology representative to infiltrate Planned Parenthood affiliates and surreptitiously record his efforts to procure tissue for research. Another center employee, Sandra Merritt, was indicted on a felony charge of tampering with a governmental record. The record-tampering charges appeared to involve their use of fake identification.

Abortion opponents claimed that the videos, which were released starting in July, revealed that Planned Parenthood was engaged in the illegal sale of body parts — a charge that the organization has denied and that has not been supported in numerous congressional and state investigations triggered by the release of the videos.

On Monday, the Harris County district attorney, Devon Anderson, said in a statement that grand jurors had cleared Planned Parenthood of any wrongdoing.

Continue reading by clicking the name of the source below.

17 comments on “2 Abortion Foes Behind Planned Parenthood Videos Are Indicted

• AOP – Prosecutors in Harris County said one of the leaders of the Center for Medical Progress — an anti-abortion group

It is very obvious once the title of such organisations is compared with their objectives, that they are liars from step 1.

A “Center for obstructive ignorant backwardness”, describing itself as a “Center for Medical Progress”, while obstructing medical services and medical research, is clearly dishonest!

Liars for Jebus have historically, never found a moral problem with faking artefacts or relics to promote their self-important delusions!

• I sit here in Australia, constantly having to have my bottom jaw re-attached from the stuff that comes out of America. The phrase “Only in America” applies too often to events like this. I’ve asked Microsoft to hit the reset button, so America can have a fresh boot, and join the rest of the civilized world.

The American Taliban Christian Fundamentalists, believing they are gods chosen warriors, doing whatever they like, because god is on their side. Insisting that what they believe, can be forced by law on all Americans on pain of criminal prosecution, and the rest of the world if they had their way.

BTW. There’s this other mob called ISIS who think the same way…. Only in America.

• David, there are two things I fear as a US citizen. The religious fundies and the KKK types.
    I live in a town in a rural area. Not too many days go by before I run into someone with these ideas.
    Some are obvious, others are hidden.
    I would like to move but with the current climate in the US, I don’t think it will help. I’m thinking about Canada or Japan. My country is screwed.
    Religion IS racism.

• Not gonna lie, we’re a colorful bunch. Trending right now on Facebook is a rapper who is insisting the earth is flat. On the plus side, they make me look like a freakin’ genius without even trying.

• Make him define “flat”. The earth I am standing on is flat. Because it looks that way, that’s why!

Really, when I hear this sort of thing, I just move away slowly without turning my back on the person. And just smile and nod. ……….Then run!

• Drove for 3 weeks through the Rockie Mountains. Magnificent country. Wonderful friendly people. Pretty weird in Utah. I couldn’t buy book 5 of Game of Thrones in that state. Went to a diner where all the young guys had Abe Lincoln beards. All the kids sat straight, stayed quiet and ate their food with their mouths closed. We thought we were in one of those B Grade Sci Fi movies, where the strangers come to the town, and everyone in the town are aliens and they’re all in on the joke. Except us strangers.

I took a photo of a Chrysler car dealership because there was only 1 4 cylinder car on the entire 70 vehicle lot. The rest were huge 4X4 SUV’s. Killing your grand children.

Australia has it’s trailer trash and fundies, but there only use is to populate Un-Reality shows to boost ratings. They have no political influence, which is a contrast with the US. Come on down to Australia. We have no animals that can eat you, but don’t get near their fangs. And the Drop Bears. Watch out for the Drop bears.

• I would love to visit Australia! My sister and I are planning on getting an RV in the distant future; maybe we’ll drive there. You can do that on a flat earth, right?

• You’d be most welcome Alf1200, in addition to the drop bears, you’ll have to remember the country is pretty much made of snakes and spiders, crocs in the northern states. I used to read in books from the US on poisonous animals such as the Portuguese Man of War jelly fish (actually not a real jellyfish) and then realized they were just the blue bottles that used to sing us every summer at Nth Straddie Island, scoff. The real worries were the stone fish and box jelly fish, I had a mate who was a diver, working in full wetsuit in Airlie Beach he got about 3 inches of box jelly fish stinger on him (the rest over his suit their a couple of meters of stingers) it produced a massive blister which was painful for a week. But the tiny little thumbnail sized jelly fish (Irukandji) we have are truly hideous, tiny and deadly. But you are most welcome 😉

• Hi there Viki,

All joking aside you should come. My parents went to the USA and brought an RV there drove it around for a year sold it and the difference in the exchange rate on return paid for their trip (could have gone the other way though). If there was some way of sending a personal message on the site I’d put you in touch with them, lovely people and they have people stay from other countries that they’ve met of gotten in contact with all the time. I keep my details private because as a high school teacher I try to keep myself anonymous, I try to keep my beliefs (or lack of them) from the students not because I’m in any way ashamed but if I’m arguing the case for evolution in a science class I want to be able to do so without the students being able to write off what I say due to bias. If you’re ever coming let me know and we’ll find a way of getting you in touch. They’ll put you up for a time and would happily take you over to their units at Stradbroke Island (beautiful beaches, whale watching, nice surf – google it). Dad would love to meet some more Atheists.

Cheers

• So good to see this has backfired on the anti-abortionists.

Otherwise I agree with what David and Reckless Monkey have said. To Alf and Vicki, I’d encourage you to visit too. You’ll have friends all over the country at this rate. I’m in Melbourne and since the last of my kids left the nest before Xmas, I have two spare bedrooms and would be delighted to put you up. No drop bears here. If either of you get the opportunity I’m sure we’ll be able to get in touch and positive you would enjoy yourselves.

• Put me on the list too Vicki. Wait till you see the Milky Way in the Southern Hemisphere from our back yard. And I know how to ward off Drop Bears with Vegemite. We could have a network of house stays all over the world. Wouldn’t they be wonderful after dinner discussion following a bottle or two of brilliant Australian wine. Maybe with the new merger, the new discussion forum will have a PM function.

• Many thanks! When it comes time for my sister and me to start following the sun, I fully plan on taking all of you up on those offers! What better way to explore new places than with the natives!

• You will be most welcome. Once you’re finished relaxing on the Island with my folks, you and your sister can come up my way and we’ll tour some wineries and visit some nice national parks. There are some beautiful place around our way. I’m sure there are some other atheists out there we could pass you guys around the country at least save you on accommodation costs.

We don’t have any drop bears here but you will have to watch out for the hoop snakes, once they build up momentum even Vegemite won’t stop them.