GOP Still Investigating Planned Parenthood, Even After Sting Videos Backfire

Jan 31, 2016

Photo credit: Olivier Douliery/Getty

By Samantha Lachman

Republicans are determined to push on with their investigation of Planned Parenthood, even after a Texas grand jury cleared the organization of wrongdoing on Monday and instead indicted two anti-abortion activists who targeted the family planning provider in a series of undercover videos.

One of the videos, taped at a Planned Parenthood clinic in Houston and purporting to show Planned Parenthood staff members discussing the sale of fetal tissue for medical research, inspired Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick, a Republican, to ask Harris County District Attorney Devon Anderson to initiate a criminal investigation of the organization in August.

Planned Parenthood has maintained that it was not selling fetal tissue, which would have been illegal, and commissioned a study that demonstrated the videos were manipulated. The organization sued the Center for Medical Progress, the anti-abortion group behind the videos, earlier this month.

The grand jury’s decision hasn’t affected Republicans’ plans to continue investigating Planned Parenthood, however. Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.), who is chairing a select investigative committee that purports to be investigating “big abortion providers” — but for all intents and purposes is only scrutinizing Planned Parenthood — said in a statement Tuesday that “the mission of our investigation has not changed.”

“We will continue to gather information and get the facts about medical practices of abortion service providers and the business practices of the procurement organizations who sell baby body parts,” Blackburn said. “These are issues of importance to the American people. We will study the laws on the books and follow the facts to defend life.”

Continue reading by clicking the name of the source below.

28 comments on “GOP Still Investigating Planned Parenthood, Even After Sting Videos Backfire

• Bill Maher is right. The Republicans no longer bother even to lie. They’ve moved to just making it up as they go along.

Blackburn: We will continue to gather [investigate] abortion service providers and the business practices of the procurement organizations who sell baby body parts

The Texan Grand Jury concluded that Rep. Blackburn’s statement is fantasy.

Peace.

• @OP – The grand jury’s decision hasn’t affected Republicans’ plans to continue investigating Planned Parenthood, however. Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.), who is chairing a select investigative committee that purports to be investigating “big abortion providers” — but for all intents and purposes is only scrutinizing Planned Parenthood — said in a statement Tuesday that “the mission of our investigation has not changed.”

Of course the mission has not changed!
    The irrational opposition will continue as faith-thinkers preconceptions take priority over evidenced investigations, and the “faith-fools” choose what they want to believe according to the bigoted processes in their indoctrinated G awd- O ldfool- P icobyte capicity, indoctrinated brains!!

• 3
    NearlyNakedApe says:

Speaking of Bill, he once called this Republican tactic “zombie lies”. Lies that have been debunked long ago but keep coming back to life no matter how many times you put them down.

The worst irony of this Planned Parenthood mess is that Carly Fiorina, it was recently found, profited from a vaccine that was developped by Merck using stem cells from aborted embryos.

“Republican presidential candidate Carly Fiorina, a staunch opponent of abortion, made at least $83,000 serving on the board of directors of Merck & Co. at a time when the pharmaceutical company was producing vaccines using fetal stem cell lines derived from aborted fetuses, according to corporate documents reviewed by Al Jazeera America.”

• @OP – We will study the laws on the books and follow the facts to defend life.”

That’s the laughable thing about those spouting their “pro-life” dogmas!

If they had actually studied some BIOLOGY books, and had even the slightest idea about what “life” is, or about human reproduction, they would know that the vast majority of abortions are natural, and there is no merit in trying to abolish this zygote/embryo selection process, even if such a thing was possible!

• The GOP is only pro life for cute babies. If you’re a poor African American, they suppose with gusto your execution, however rich white kids convicted of the same crime, are spared. Maybe Pro Life refers only to pro white Anglo Saxon life.

• This anti abortion thing is almost exclusively an American issue among 1st world western countries, no doubt primarily religious in its roots and yet another thing I totally fail to understand and probably never will. However it was brought home to me a bit just a couple of days ago. I chat occasionally to someone in North Carolina online, let’s call her Sue for anonymity, and up until now she’s appeared more or less entirely normal. She’s 38, has a kid or kids, I’m not quite sure if it’s more than one, but until the last chat I didn’t know she was already a grandmother at that age. It transpired that her own daughter had been the result of “sexual assault” in her own words and then the daughter also became pregnant while still a teenager although from simple lack of precautions at least rather than rape. But it’s Sue that’s raising the child because the daughter didn’t want to even have it. However she was forced to because she faced being disowned if she had an abortion and then she signed the baby over to her mother the day it was born.

If I can’t even understand the fuss over aborting an unwanted fetus then you can imagine my incomprehension about someone threatening to disown her daughter and never have anything to do with her again unless she carried her own unwanted baby to term. Whether religion is at the root of this particular issue I didn’t find out and frankly don’t really want to chat anymore so I suspect I never will. It was however a salutary reminder of what can lurk under the surface just when you think you’re getting to know someone a bit.

• However she was forced to because she faced being disowned if she had an abortion and then she signed the baby over to her mother the day it was born.

I am going to commandeer your womb. I am going to force you for nine months, to carry and bare a child, you don’t want, will never love or rear, with all of the possible associated health issues. If you refuse, I will disown you. I will ruin your life because I want to factory farm your womb, without your permission.

Yep. Sounds reasonable.

• I agree with Arkrid. Very hard to explain the ferocity, the hate, the terror, that this issue arouses in so many people. I didn’t know that it was mostly in the U.S. That is significant in itself, may provide a clue. But hard to explain. (So is racism.)
    The causes are probably multi-rooted. Perhaps one thing that might be going on is this: these religious fanatics are incapable of acquiring the natural resignation that the more sober, rational, scientifically-minded people of the world are able to acquire, regarding finitude and death; they are cut off, live, therefore, with a terrible unconscious dread of their own annihilation, live with a tremendous terror of being blasted out of existence for ever and ever and ever. The more enlightened, non-religious, undeceived people don’t need to protect themselves as much from something they have always accepted, have allowed themselves to accept as natural and inevitable.
    Religion, however promises its believers eternal life, and therefore the idea of abortion stirs up in their minds unspeakable horror (in some people’s minds; not every American Christian is obsessed with abortion rights); they suspect, deep down, that they are not immortal.
    The question of life and death for the “right-to-life” people is not a question they are apt to want to confront. That would constitute an invasion of something private, something locked up in the vault of the psyche, an invasion of something highly cherished sacred, and as vulnerable as it is sacred; this something must be protected at all costs. This controversy, a controversy which only they have created, regarding the fate of what they call the unborn child, presents, to the minds of these superstitious people, a situation where they are forced to confront the question of life and death, what life and death means and where it begins and where it might end. If they allow that question to enter this private part of themselves, where life is held to be eternal, and allow truth, or more precisely, the mere possibility of truth, to introduce itself, as it were, to enter, then that would, perhaps, be something too terrifying and overwhelming for them to endure.—They are not the least bit prepared to relinquish anything. Their own false and desperate hopes are bound up intimately and inextricably with this issue of abortion.
    (Just a hunch.)
    That is why they are fighting for their lives, in a literal and in a figurative sense.

• P.S. “…something highly cherished, sacred, and as vulnerable…”
    That’s better. Left out the damned comma (after the word cherished.)
    I have a touch of OCD. You all understand, right? Best Wishes. DR

• Don’t be so critical of yourself. I don’t want to live up to those standards.
    I’m lucky to construct a sentence without a mistake. (partially blind in one eye)
    Commas look like floaters.

• I always like to get the big picture message across, and sometimes the sentence construction goes by the wayside as my brain rushes to get the ideas down on canvas.

Editing tip. Try a double carriage return between paragraphs. Breaks up the post into manageable chunks of argument.

p.s. Mods. This forum is brilliant compared to Falsebook, which has one font and zero formatting options. How can you craft a post, with no BOLD, ITALIC, or HIGHLIGHT. Or ***

ALL THREE IN ONE

And I discovered CTRL B creates BOLD. CTRL I creates italic.

• Maybe they’re all just nuts. Maybe that’s the answer. They’re all just a bunch of deranged, sick, twisted people. End of story.

I waver back and forth between trying to understand these people and thinking up theories (like I did above) and just simply saying they’re nuts.

But what does “nuts” mean and why are they that way? It can’t just end with them being nuts, can it?

I look at their faces, however – the faces in the photo – and I see hate and violence. I see a mob, a mob of sickos filled with tremendous hate and fear. Who wants to analyze them?

• I look at it this way.

Our genetic diversity calls for a spectrum of physical traits. Those traits include a myriad of brain types.
    Some are aggressive, some passive. Some intellectual, some primitive.

• alf1200
    Feb 1, 2016 at 4:38 am

Apart from genetic inherited brain-types, human brains are programmable in childhood.

Some are aggressive, some passive. Some intellectual, some primitive.

What is important is that we avoid aggressive primitives, installing primitive programmes in the next generation!

Even in the works of the most advanced scientists, the primitives will inveigle their perversity and projection into it!

It is note-worthy, that the message left by Apollo astronauts on the Moon, read:
    “We came in PEACE for all mankind!” –
    While placing a US flag, on a moon where there was no-one to fight!!!!!

• Meanwhile – while ignorant, ranting, banner wavers, are making noise in the USA, in the UK, scientists who know what they are talking about, are investigating “planned parenthood”, spontaneous abortion, and miscarriage!

UK scientists have been given the go-ahead by the fertility regulator to genetically modify human embryos.

The research will take place at the Francis Crick Institute in London and aims to provide a deeper understanding of the earliest moments of human life.

The experiments will take place in the first seven days after fertilisation and could explain what goes wrong in miscarriage.

• Genetically modify human embryos.

I know this is vastly unfair, Alan, but that sounds awful. I am not saying it is awful; I am saying it sounds awful. Reminds me of something Dr. Mengele would love hearing about. He’d be waving his arms around with excitement. “Ah, now I can begin my great work, no? Genetic modification. I have been waiting my whole life for this opportunity, no? I shall create the ubermensch. It will be blonde, have blue eyes…”

Terrible thing for me to say, right?

• Dan
    Feb 1, 2016 at 6:22 am

“Genetically modify human embryos.”

I know this is vastly unfair, Alan, but that sounds awful.

If you look at the link, you will see it is illegal to implant them. This is research into causes of spontaneous abortion and miscarriage.

• @OP image “courageously ABOLISHING ABORTION”

Or: when translated from delusional bigotry into English!

Boldly trying to impose MY interfering, bigoted, ignorance, on other people’s lives and their medical services!

• I wonder how many of those opposing termination of pregnancy realize what causes by far the greatest number of abortions?

I’m confident that if I’m mistaken I’ll be corrected, but as I understand it, as with natural selection, in the overall scale of things, human intervention in the gestation period of babies has a nanoscopic effect, and is only initiated as a last resort.

• P.P.S. Is wit in the brain? Btw, I wish I had spent more time on that comment. Not sure my point has any merit or makes much sense. Maybe it does a little. Wrote too quickly.

• attn: alf1200

Thank you.
    Btw, floaters look like commas too. Both equally subjective, alf. Interesting, right? The entire, diverse world of objects of perception is one vast, world of floaters, according to that great educator who will someday, someday, receive full recognition: Schopenhauer!

• Evangelical Christians have been sucessfully lying to their congregations about aspects of evolutionary biology. It is no wonder that these clever Republicans use the technique of lying to “prove” a point.

The ignorant and the mentally challenged will definitely believe these GOP candidates. Whatever it takes to get their vote.