From Apostle to Apostate, pg 59

Mar 29, 2016

I recognize that I was very angry with the Church–not only for the indoctrination that I had experienced and the stack of falsehoods it had forced me to choke down, but also for the years I had spent sacrificing my own happiness so that I could be of service to its mandate. This experience has not been unlike being very angry with a parent or mentor after you discover their major faults. When it comes to the Church, you don’t have to look hard to see its refusal to acknowledge its deficits, which are exhibited in its continued devotion to the magisterium and its run-amok theocratic egotism. The Church relentlessly demands capitulation from believers and nonbelievers alike.

–Catherine Dunphy, From Apostle to Apostate

Discuss!

11 comments on “From Apostle to Apostate, pg 59

• The OP passage gives only limited information on this book.
    There is more information here.

It is written by my colleague on the blog, Catherine Dunphy, who is also one of the original 52 members of The Clergy Project.

In laying bare her own journey from devout Catholic seminarian student to nonbeliever, Catherine Dunphy humanizes the Clergy Project. She reveals how and why she and other clergy left behind the restraints of organized religious belief, overcame the pain of losing faith, and found new meaning in secular activism. Hers is but one of many remarkable stories of the difficult transition most of her new humanist colleagues share as they confront their doubts about faith and fears of ostracism from friends and family. It takes bravery to not simply bury doubt about faith.

• A lot of people who enter the seminary are starry-eyed idealists, who really want to better society. Nothing wrong with that, except I wouldn’t choose religion to effect that. Once confronted with the god business (Milk them for what they are worth), doubt and resentment sets in. As Daniel Dennet remarked: “It is a wonder that anyone holds on to their faith after seminary”. (The atheist in the pulpit, etc.)
    So, yes, praise for Catherine; that must have been a very rough ride indeed, not to mention the ridicule and scorn that she must have endured from her own circle.

• Thank you Paul and Alan. It was indeed a very difficult ride, one that I am happy to be finished with – and yes there was some scorn within seminary circles, but mostly a climate of don’t ask, don’t tell. It was only recently that I have come to know that a former colleague was in the same position and has since left ministry.

• 4
    flyingfsck says:

I always thought that the best way to cure someone of Christian religion, is to make him read the bible. Christianity is a ridiculous and perverted system and that is best illustrated by the bible itself.

• I resent every second spent on my knees during my childhood, and I resent every word of the prayers repeated thousands of times wherein we children would declare that we were sinners while we fretted about ‘the hour of our death’.
    Child abuse, Roman style.

• 7
    Cairsley says:

@drumdaddy #6

. . . we children would declare that we were sinners while we fretted about ‘the hour of our death.’

Ah, yes, Drumdaddy, that was a true Catholic you were, praying the Hail Mary.

• I am surprised that my post about how I as an evangelical Christian could support something like the Clergy Project was apparently taken down. If a religious leader no longer believes in God, then we ought to do what we can to help them make the move to a different career. The pain many of them must endure having to live a masquerade is not something I would wish on anyone. I think they are making the wrong choice but we should still show them compassion and help them move on to a more honest and open life.

• Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    ~ George Orwell 1903-06-25 1950-01-21

Religion could be defined as the belief you are privileged to control others’ freedoms.

• david.graf.589

We haven’t removed any posts by you, David, so not sure what’s happened here. Sometimes posts are put aside by the spam filter pending moderator approval, but that hasn’t happened in this case.

Did your comment definitely appear on the thread? Sometimes, if it takes a long time to compose the comment, a time-out occurs and the comment disappears when you click on Post. But if you ever saw it on the thread, that can’t be what happened.

Your comment above is the first one we’ve seen from you in quite some time. So sorry if there’s been a technical glitch, but please be assured your comment was not intentionally removed.

• Dear Moderator,

I did see my post in this forum after I put it in but having worked with computers for almost 40 years nothing surprises me any more. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my comment. I appreciate it.