Paris attacks suspect Salah Abdeslam will fight extradition

Mar 19, 2016

Photo credit: DSK/AFP/Getty Images

Salah Abdeslam, the prime suspect in the Paris attacks, will fight his extradition to France, a legal challenge that could delay his trial over the massacre.

Abdeslam’s lawyer, Sven Mary, said his client had been formally charged in connection with the Paris attacks and was “collaborating” with Belgian investigators but would challenge his extradition to France.

After spending 10 minutes with the suspect, a 26-year-old former tram driver, Mary said: “France has demanded his extradition. I can tell you that we will refuse extradition to France. We will first see whether the European arrest warrant is legal.”

Legal experts cautioned that Abdeslam’s refusal did not mean extradition would fail as under the European arrest warrant anyone who commits a serious offence in the EU can be sent back to face justice in the country where the crime took place.

Florence Rouas-Elbazis, a French lawyer, told Agence France-Presse: “It is not because he refuses that he cannot be handed over, but it could lead to an additional delay.”

Abdeslam was arrested on Friday in the Brussels suburb of Molenbeek where he grew up. He became the most wanted man in Europe after going into hiding shortly after the bombings and shootings in Paris on 13 November that left 130 people dead.

An accomplice arrested with him, believed to be Amine Choukri, has been similarly charged with “terrorist killings and participating in the activities of a terrorist group”.

The French prime minister, Manuel Valls, welcomed Abdeslam’s arrest but said the terror threat remained “very high”. “As high as, if not higher than, we had before 13 November,” Valls added.

“Other networks, other cells, other individuals in France and in Europe are getting organised to prepare new attacks. We must remain mobilised at a national as well as European level.”

Abdeslam was officially charged with “with participation in terrorist murder” and in the activities of a terrorist organisation.

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/19/france-seeks-rapid-handover-of-paris-attacks-suspect-salah-abdeslam

22 comments on “Paris attacks suspect Salah Abdeslam will fight extradition

• The Belgium police may be regretting not following the USA executive arrest procedure of lethal force. While I am not advocating this, it does not only save time, money, spare us from tabloid outrage, enrichment of the legal profession, but also from potential terrorist rescue attempts, whether by hostage or direct assault

• Is the kid smart, or is the kid dumb?

Is he a victim too?

And if so, of what?

What sort of education was he afforded?

Or, was he denied one?

Does he have potential as a human being?

Is he happy?

Can he be turned?

How culpable are the doctrines and dogmas of religion in the manner in which he conducts himself?

Am I asking stupid questions?

I had a really good start in life, was spoilt, and have made some terrible choices in my time, but somehow I’ve come through; but I haven’t had to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous religion!

Now, he has to learn lessons; and he can think himself lucky that he’s not in the hands of his heroes!

Fuck wit; fucking prick!!!

• I take it that Psychoanalysis of such individuals is routinely done, to see if there are any common factors among them.

Any traits common to all those who would appear to be drawn like moths to a fame towards religions.

I’ve known quite a lot of such people, who never stop searching for “the truth”, but in many instances are victims of stings by fraudsters.

I’m reminded of an exchange in the film On The Waterfront, when one character asks another: “What’s his racket? The other replies: “Racket? He’s a Preist!” And the questioner then says: “You kiddin’ me, that don’t make no difference.”.

• The investigations are continuing and more evidence is being found!

Paris attacks suspect Salah Abdeslam was preparing attacks in Brussels before he was arrested, Belgian Foreign Minister Didier Reynders has suggested.

Abdeslam is being interrogated in Belgium following his arrest in a dramatic raid in Brussels on Friday.

“And it’s maybe the reality because we have found a lot of weapons, heavy weapons, in the first investigations and we have found a new network around him in Brussels.”

Mr Reynders said the number of suspects had risen markedly since the November attacks.

“We are sure for the moment we have found more than 30 people involved in the terrorist attacks in Paris, but we are sure there are others.”

Many weapons and a new terror network had been uncovered in the city, Mr Reynders told a foreign policy forum.

• @stafford-gordon

From my work, yes that does happen. It may be via inference, if constructive interviews are refused.

I suspect that a subset of the species homo sapiens are capable of this type of activity, regardless of the motivator. Religion is a powerful catalyst, but the same activities are done by nationalists, (Basques / IRA). Environmentalism, for and against. (The French sinking the Rainbow Warrior and Sea Shepherd on Japanese whalers) Economic terrorism is common, particularly in America. A first world nation with a large third world population that carrier American citizenship.

I would speculate that we are motivated to act by perceived incoming evidence, real or imagined. Some of us need very little motivation to act, Salah being one, and some, need much more. e.g. Sea Shepherd which I support. On a motivation scale of 1 to 10, the level of motivation to act varies for each person. Saleh is a 2. I’d be a 9. I act as much as I can slaying the irrational that infect places like the New Scientist Facebook page.

• David R Allen @ # 8.

I’m relieved to hear that heads are being examined!

For my part, I struggle daily against notions which arise in my mind for which there is no evidence; maybe that’s just little old me, but I suspect it’s an emotional aspect of our make-up which has evolutionary origins and is therefore something we all have to deal with to a degree.

And with regard to the motivation to act, my wife gets annoyed with me because I don’t act until my back’s against the wall! That, quite simply, is because I need to be as certain as possible that my actions will be justified and fruitful.

As for the anti-social media “Wild West” of Facebook, and Science; I entered a DOB of January 1 1915, and no one’s questioned it.

• Sorry mods, but I missed the boat in editing time.

The end of my last comment was finally meant to read: As for the juxtaposition between the anti-social media “Wild West” of Facebook, and Science; I entered a date of birth on Facebook, of January the first, 1915, and no one has yet questioned it.

• The deliberate killing of civilians , to create ” terror” in the civilian population and force governments to change their policies, has been a tactic used throughout history and by all peoples . To give recent examples from ” our” side…Hiroshima, bombing of German cities etc.

Nobody is suggesting that those involved had some sort of personality disorder or ” unjustified beliefs”, so why think that modern terrorism can be reduced to these issues?

• David R Allen #8
    Mar 21, 2016 at 2:59 am: the level of motivation to act varies for each person.

I came upon this in the Portrait of Mr WH by Oscar Wilde.

Marytdom was to me merely a tragic form of scepticism, an attempt to do by fire, what one had failed to do by faith. No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true.

I wonder…

• Steve @ # 11.

You make a good point; I think the common factor in these atrocities is our tendency towards mass hysteria; things reach such a pitch that the tipping point becomes impossible to resist, except in the case of an individual, and that by its very nature has no bearing on the overall outcome; such events render the individual irrelevant.

I think that if IS had the resources to carry out crimes such as occurred in Dresden and Hiroshima, they probably would do so.

• phil rimmer #14
    Mar 21, 2016 at 11:05 am

@eejit #12>A quite superb insight from Oscar

Aint it just! I think that it would take someone much brainier than I to draw out all the meaning and ramifications from it. I have an uncomfortable feeling that he is largely right, that fanaticism is the child of doubt, and that suicide for a cause, absolves the devotee of the burden of sinful doubt and confirms the dubious belief through the act of dying for it. All of which sounds a bit metaphysical coming from me!

• 16
    NearlyNakedApe says:

@hooligan #7

From a counter-terrorist operations point of view, capturing a high-level operative like Abdeslam alive is considered a great success. Facts are coming out. Abdeslam originally intended to blow himself up in front of the “Stade De France” but changed his mind at last minute, buggared off and dumped his explosive vest.

Now I might be wrong but that sounds like a guy who got cold feet. Fast forward 4 months later and he is captured…. not shooting back, not even armed. That doesn’t sound like the typical Islamic martyr going out guns blazing. I have a hunch… just a hunch, that this guy is a coward who will do anything to save his skin.

If that’s the case, then the cops and the prosecutors in this case have struck pay dirt: this guy will talk. Sure, we all hate this guy, even more so since we know that he had no problem sending his own brother to die while doing everything he can to escape that fate. But we have to put our personal feelings and fantasies of vengeance aside: the best way we can fight those lunatics is by getting as much information as we can on them.

Besides, Abdeslam’s attempt at suing the French prosecutor for disclosure is lame at best… Good luck with that dude. And his attempt to block extradition to France is only going to buy him a few more months in Belgian custody until he finally gets extradited. This guy isn’t going anywhere.

He’s going to rot in jail where he belongs. Best part is that he’s likely to be in isolation like Anders Brevig: they can’t put a guy like that in GenPop, he wouldn’t last two days.

• But just look at him! He’s a poor, lost, uncertain, sad little wretch. How could such an innocent looking lost child find himself perpetrating such evil?

• NNA @ # 16.

As I see it there’s only one way out for him; come over and come clean.

If he does as he’s told his life will change; if he doesn’t it will end.

I wonder how long it’ll take for that penny to drop.

It’s going to be a waiting game.

And if he genuinely has nothing to impart? Well, then he’s genuinely fucked!

• NearlyNakedApe #16
    Mar 21, 2016 at 12:31 pm

@hooligan #7 – Taking him dead rather than alive might have been gratifying to some, but this way he’s still a source of information. I hope they’re good at extracting it.

Facts are coming out which suggest this is so.

Salah Abdeslam, a suspect in last year’s Paris attacks who was arrested in Belgium last week, is “worth his weight in gold” to investigators, his lawyer has said.

He is collaborating… He is not maintaining his right to remain silent,” said lawyer Sven Mary.

Abdeslam was captured in a raid on an apartment in Brussels and is being interrogated by police.

He is the only surviving participant in the attacks in police custody.

However, Mr Mary denied media reports that Abdeslam, 26, would become an informer in return for more lenient treatment.

• The terror attacks continue!

More than 30 people are believed to have been killed and dozens injured in attacks at Brussels international airport and a city metro station.

Twin blasts hit Zaventem airport at about 07:00 GMT, with 11 people reported killed.

Another explosion struck Maelbeek metro station near EU headquarters an hour later, leaving about 20 people dead.

Brussels police have issued a wanted notice for a man seen pushing a luggage trolley through the airport.

He was pictured in CCTV footage with two other suspects who are believed to have died in the blasts.