Mike Pence’s Journey: Catholic Democrat to Evangelical Republican

Jul 21, 2016

By Jonathan Mahler and Dirk Johnson

When Gov. Mike Pence of Indiana was in college, he found himself admiring a gold cross hanging from the neck of his fraternity “big brother.”

The response he received left such a powerful impression that he would recall it decades later on the floor of Congress.

“Remember, Mike, you have got to wear it in your heart before you wear it around your neck,” Mr. Pence said his fraternity brother told him.

Soon after this exchange, at a Christian music festival in Kentucky, Mr. Pence took a very different sort of pledge from the one he had taken to join Phi Gamma Delta. “I gave my life to Jesus Christ,” he recalled years later, “and that’s changed everything.”

It was a decision that would redefine Mr. Pence, setting him on the path to becoming an evangelical Christian and one of the country’s most outwardly religious and socially conservative legislators.

Continue reading by clicking the name of the source below.

30 comments on “Mike Pence’s Journey: Catholic Democrat to Evangelical Republican

• From the article:

His evangelical Christianity is now the driving force behind his political agenda, whether he is working to deny federal funds to Planned Parenthood or to make it legal for religious conservatives to refuse to serve gay couples.

“I sign this law with a prayer that God would continue to bless these precious children, mothers and families,” he said in March, putting his pen to a sweeping abortion bill prohibiting a woman from aborting a fetus because it has a disability such as Down syndrome. (A federal judge blocked the law last month.)

What a nightmare this guy is. His mind has been absolutely hijacked by the Jesus cult. Please don’t let him get near the nuclear codes. Be afraid.

• Laurie #1

You’re number one. Numero uno.

“Please don’t let him get near the nuclear codes.”

Don’t worry! Trump won’t let him near them. (Badum tish!)

Just a bit of levity. Humor keeps me sane.

Have you heard? Trump is the law and order candidate. Isn’t that exciting? I feel safer already. Yippee!

• No, alf is correct. That is definitely a zombie behind him to the left, Ho-hum. But what is much more statistically improbable is that there is a black person behind him to the right. -At a Republican party event???? o_O

• I never thought we’d ever get this close to fascism. We are at fascism’s door now, and we might as well face it. Nocturnal visits from homeland security, meaningless harassment and interrogations from the FBI, the diminution of civil liberties and the right to dissent.—That is what awaits many of us, and more. Vile, vicious people calling for law and order. The stakes are very high. I can no longer enjoy the jokes about Trump and his supporters.

• Thanks, Laurie. I am now, thanks to you, in the Poughkeepsie psychiatric center. I am being monitored.

Kidding! I still have my sense of humor! Thank… evolution.

Re your political career, I was able, through my connections, to get you a speaking spot at the Democratic Convention. I will fill you in later. Not prime time, but this is your official introduction to the American public. This is a rush job, working on your speech now. Your welcome.

Dan

Chief of Staff
    Chief speech writer
    Fascinating and nice man

• Democrat Catholic to Republican fundamentalist. Latin, plainchant, sacredotal robes, wonderful, ancient ritual, to swaggering preachers and bad rockbands. Fryingpan to fire? One thing’s for sure, if they get in it will be one move nearer the fire for all of us!

• I really cannot imagine Trump and Pence working together. They’ll mix as well as oil and water. I predict that the day after the inauguration (may it never actually happen!) Pence will be escorted to his new office – The janitor’s closet in the basement of the White House where he will set up shop on his orange crates desk with a tin can on a wire for the purpose of communication.

If a tin can on a wire was good enough for Jesus then it’s good enough for Pence too!!!

• Laurie, I guess we will never hear from Pence again, one way or another. This was a career ending move for him.
    If (when) trump loses, he will be known by the GOP as the guy who helped destroy the Rep party.
    If trump wins, he will be delegated to the closet.

• @ #20

Bonnie, you are not apt to reply to my occasional queries re your posts. But can you explain to the lonely and erratic genius why you wrote “Milton”? I happen to like Milton very much and can’t figure that out. I’m curious. Btw, I pressed the link and an image of a stapler appeared on the screen.
    (See my comment, Amid Zika thread, #31, if you want to.)

• Trump is “The laughing tiger” – a quote that would only mean something to you if you have read – Stephen Kings “Dead Zone”. The plot that King envisioned is being played out in the U.S.A for real.
    For all of us, lets hope that the twist at the end happens…..and trumpleton’s religious bandwagon jumpers don’t take over and bring Armageddon down upon us all!

• Jul 21, 2016 at 9:34

LaurieB

In Congress, Pence was a champion of conservative and religious causes. He voted against measures aimed at preventing LGBT discrimination and helping families in poverty, and he supported federal legislation prohibiting same-sex marriage. As governor of Indiana, Pence has brought this Religious Right-friendly agenda to the state and enacted a number of stringent socially conservative measures.

Well it’s December now, and Trump won. He’s near them.