The Bloody End of 2016’s Ramadan

Jul 10, 2016

By Geopolitics Made Super

Certainly, the end of this year’s Ramadan will go down as one of the century’s bloodiest.  First Istanbul; then, Dhaka, rounded off by Baghdad, Qatif, Medina, and Jeddah.  It’s not wholly clear just how much the Islamic State controlled or directed these attacks, or merely inspired them, but owing to their scale, scope, and timing, they are worth examining in the wider context of the geopolitical view of Sunni supremacist terrorism.

Thus we must embark upon the road of understanding, of causation and explanation, to pinpoint sources and posit solutions.  We needn’t empathize with the madness, only know that it has its own form of rationality it is playing by.

So rule number 1: remember that Islam is not a thing.

Not in the physical sense, anyway.  It is an idea held together by a collection of human brains and human-produced texts.  (Look aside if the Qu’ran is the literal word of God; I think we can all agree my Barnes and Noble Qu’ran was printed by a machine, which was built by some person somewhere.)  The texts are meant to bring consistency to the many human brains, which are inherently inconsistent.

But the texts are also vast: beyond the Qu’ran itself lay the Sunni hadith, or sayings of the Prophet Mohammed, compiled by various writers over the centuries.  There is also the sunna, or way of the Prophet, again compiled over time by many different people.  Memorizing the Qu’ran itself is well-neigh impossible for most people, let alone having down pat the hadith and sunna.

Continue reading by clicking the name of the source below.

16 comments on “The Bloody End of 2016’s Ramadan

• Thus the go-to of “blame Islam” is a silver bullet that will slay no monsters

As all religions islam’s time will come to an end and the end will be the islamic analogue of universal unitarianism, not so much a religion as a social club. The monsters will be slayed in time because time grows too short for such silliness as is religion. I think these people think a few tweaks and islam will be acceptable. Those holding the power in this religion may have other ideas.

All religions are insane, some are a little bit more insane than others.

• Ramadan needs immediate reform.

Every exemption allowed by the Koran and other sacred texts needs to be encouraged and required. Presently they are ignored.

Everyone in the medical field needs to explain the dangers to health involved with the degree of fasting and nutritional deprivation that is required by the current religious rules of Ramadan.

One thousand years ago this type of fasting and deprivation were a form of high entertainment and tribal solidarity. Now, it’s just primitive, frightening iron age barbarism.

If the Christians could reduce Lent down to the lowest common denominator then my hope is that the Muslims can do the same. Give up chocolate for a week and give a hundred dollars to charity. The world will be a better place for it.

• 3
    Pinball1970 says:

@#2

Yes I do not want my bus driver, Dr, radiographer, barber, taxi driver, medical laboratory scientific officer, electrician, builder or lawyer causing a major f*** up because they are hypoglycemic.

• Pinball

Yes I agree. A month of extreme fasting was obviously designed with a pastoral way of life in mind. Perhaps it was fine back in the Arabian desert of olden days to sleep until noon, lay around until sunset doing nothing and then stuff one’s face to the point of bursting and dance the night away, and all of this for a whole month solid!! But how and why has this persisted into the twenty first century? I can tell you from observations that the entire country of Algeria basically shuts down for that month. From my American perspective (ok I know, I know, we’re frothing at the mouth Capitalists!) the entire country seems to be on a month long slothful good for nothing vacation. No wonder the entire place is a century behind the times. Get to work!!!

My criticisms of this “holiday” go nowhere with these believers. You know what they say right back to me: Slave driver American! All you people care about is money!!!

That’s why I stick to the medical risks they are taking by believing charlatans who tell them that it’s medically beneficial to give the old digestive tract a good old purge and clean it right out! My answer to that is “Clean what out of it? If only you’d stop drinking motor oil like I told you to then you wouldn’t need to clean yourself out!”

But seriously, no food or water or anything else from sun up to sun down, for a month is very ill advised. Let’s get a whole class of people claiming medical exemptions – as some of them are legitimately offered, and then you’ll see others who will realize that there are ways around this sort of barbaric ritual and they will jump on the bandwagon. It’s only human nature.

No children, no pregnant women, no one over the age of 50, no diabetics, no kidney compromised people, no low blood pressure types, etc. etc. You see where I’m going with this. I don’t think there is anything unreasonable in my suggestion.

• That was an interesting read. I wonder though how after describing so many self-defeating beliefs and behaviors the author concludes that Islam is “so temptingly self-serving”. Where’s the temptation in all that again?

• “Truth is the intellectual wealth of the world. Truth is known by investigation, experiment and reason. Not belief. To love the truth is mental virtue. That is true bravery. That is freedom. To throw away your reason at the command of churches, popes, parties, kings or gods is to be a surf, a slave. Therefore it is not simply right, but the duty of every man to think, and experiment for themselves, and any man who attempts to prevent this by force or fear is trying to do everything he can to degrade and enslave his fellow man.”

R Ingersoll.

All religions are human constructs.

The worship of anything other than love, knowledge and nature is profoundly degrading.

I think this particular death cult of Jihadism is similar to that in Japan with its Kamikase pilots.

Japan posed an existential threat to the world outside it, ISIS does not, and will bring about its own extinction if contained.

There are far too many other more important problems to solve in the world to waste time interfering in centuries old family feuds which are causing self inflicted wounds among those indulging themselves in them.

• Apologies as this is not the right place for the following but I hope one of you who read this can help.
    I’m a subscriber to various podcasts several of which are from the Australian ABC.
    Last week they sent the podcast

Listen to Dr. Cavanaugh’s remark on Atheism just after the three minute mark.
    I posted a comment which refuted this remark but it was not accepted by the moderators.
    Perhaps one of you can devise a comment which will be accepted.
    Unfortunately I did not keep a copy of my comment.

This is the third time I’ve been refused a comment by ABC on one of their podcasts. I’ll not bother any more.

Regards
    Ian

• Another ISIS inspired massacre in the city of Nice, on Bastille day. At least 75 killed by some lunatic who drove a truck into a crowd.

No comment. (What is there to say except wipe the sons of bitches off the face of the earth? Hate does breed hate. I am feeling hate, or something very close to it, right now. Not proud of that; just stating a self-observation.)

• I was too quick to say that the massacre in Nice was “ISIS inspired.” (Comment #8)

Almost anyone would be better than that schnook Erdogan. Let’s hope it is a secular group. My hunch is that it is.

• I see Sunni Islam is showing it’s usual consideration of other political viewpoints and the rights of minorities!

A court in Bahrain has ordered the Sunni Muslim-ruled country’s leading Shia opposition group dissolved and its assets seized, reports say.

The ruling follows last month’s move by the government to suspend all activities of the Wefaq National Islamic Society.

Funds will be transferred to Bahrain’s government, al-Arabiya TV said.

Wefaq has helped lead pro-democracy protests in the country since 2011.

That February, demonstrators took to the streets to demand greater political rights and an end to discrimination against the Shia majority.

The following month, King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa brought in troops from neighbouring Sunni-led Gulf states to restore order and crush dissent. The unrest left at least 30 civilians and five policemen dead.

Opposition activists say dozens of people have been killed in ongoing clashes between protesters and security forces, while bomb attacks blamed on Iran-backed militants have killed a number of police officers.

• 16
    Pinball1970 says:

@9&11 I hope not Laurie.
    I was hoping the coup would be an Islamic based move, swiftly smashed by the people of Turkey.
    A statement for secularism but it cold be the opposite, another Syria in the making?

260 dead so far, not a great situation.