Matt Drudge’s latest conspiracy theory is not just stupid — it’s dangerous

Oct 10, 2016

By Libby Nelson

Hurricane Matthew is looking to be the first major hurricane to hit Florida in a decade. It killed more than 100 people in Haiti. Officials in the state are taking on the difficult task of getting people to take the threat seriously enough to leave their homes.

Matt Drudge just made it a lot harder with a suggestion that the warnings are part of a left-wing conspiracy to convince Florida residents that climate change is real.

Continue reading by clicking the name of the source below.

18 comments on “Matt Drudge’s latest conspiracy theory is not just stupid — it’s dangerous

• It is amazing how people will just make this stuff up without evidence and despite evidence. He could look at the satellite photos from many sources. But, like a Christian, Drudge does not want to expose himself to anything that might contradict his hypothesis.

• @OP – “The deplorables” — Trump supporters — “are starting to wonder if govt has been lying to them … to make exaggerated point on climate,” Drudge tweeted.

If they had ANY idea about who was lying to them, they would not be Trump supporters!

• If they had ANY idea about who was lying to them, they would not be
    Trump supporters!

That is the key point. Drudge is only one of thousands of conspiracy sites that lend validation to any view, any view at all. Sites such as his are the reason Trump got as far as he did. They are the reason Clinton is not trusted. They are the reason the GOP is made up of tea party whack-jobs. And they are the reason anthropomorphic climate change is denied.

Accessible information is a double-edged sword. The seeker must be willing to resist the urge to cherry-pick.

“If it’s on the internet it must be true!”

• resisting evacuation isn’t a bad, self-destructive move but a brave way for “deplorables” to stand up for the government.

Aha, this Drudge guy is working to reduce the number of Trump voters by encouraging them to get themselves killed. Anyone care to bet Crooked Hillary is paying him…..

(Democrats: evacuate. Republicans: stay and protect your home from looters)

• This is not surprising. It’s been going on for years. Unfortunately Trump has helped make this the new norm for the Republicans. It’s no longer a fringe element. Phil, you said that evil is “not a thing.” Are you sure?

• Why don’t the climate deniers disregard the weather warnings and go out in the hurricane?
    That would make things easier for the intelligent portion of the population.

• Dan

Phil, you said that evil is “not a thing.” Are you sure?

99.999999% (because, science, or 100% for the purposes of making decisions.)

In this instance I know psychopathic parasite-ism and its hangers-on when I see them, so I have a good handle of what sort of solutions could be enacted to better guard us from it. The alternative might be an excorcism or just praying harder to bring down the forces of Good.

• Phil

I have my own idea of what evil is and is not. Sadistic cruelty, for example, is evil. Malicious lies are evil. I do not reduce everything to psychopathology. Nor do I discount psychopathology. Btw, Is Goodness a thing? Goodness is not the absence of pathology. If you don’t think that, say, throwing live babies in an oven (when there was no more room in the gas chambers) is evil then I don’t know what to think. Oh yes, they were psychopaths! We’re all basically good. We just need a little more molding. If you don’t think that the doctrine of white supremacy is evil than I don’t know what to think. I hope this never happens, but look into the face of a cold blooded killer pointing a gun at you. Then tell me there is no evil. Evil is indifference to other people’s pain.

Evil is a word. Is “wicked” okay? I think the word evil can be used, has meaning. Not necessarily a religious term.

I think Drudge is an evil man. I think Anne Coulter is evil, and all of Trump’s surrogates are evil. I think there is a tremendous amount of evil in the world.

Research Alex Jones. Tell me he ain’t evil.

(I read your comment, the one where you said that you hope I will outgrow this belief. Although we may disagree about what evil is or is not I appreciate the sentiment. Perhaps my views, over time, will change. Who knows.)

• Dan,

Evil is indifference to other people’s pain

I know people who are psychopaths. They don’t feel another’s pain. Doctors, often, defensively don’t feel the other’s pain.

Evil is not a substance. In this day and age it is not an adequate excuse or account of someone’s character and actions. We can drill down, know more and better engage the problem presented.

Telling me you find an action evil helps me know you. I use the word myself often in relation to actions.

Evil like murder is a cultural construct but here we are not men in the street shooting the breeze. We want to know more. We want to be/are psychologists to better grapple with the problem. You calling say Trump evil is not as useful as calling him a narcissistic psychopath, detailing the facts of the case and getting some to see this cooler, evidenced sense.

“Evil” is a rallying cry. I am a psychologist cat. I will not be herded.

• Alex Jones isn’t evil. Stop bigging him up. He’s schizophrenic and sad. Unfortunately schizophrenics make saleable TV and radio.

Read Jon Ronson’s The Psychopath Test. Watch Network.

• Dan,

If you won’t read Pinker or Turchin or Kahneman or Epley or Baron Cohen or De Waals, maybe you’ll read

Moral Tribes by Joshua Greene?

Working through it today I’m thrilled by the insights. Bringing the Tragedy of the Commons to meet the Prisoner’s Dilemma…..I thought my take on the trolley problem was nuanced. There is so much more to be got. It is such a fascinating and versatile thought experiment. I can’t not dot around the book, jumping ahead and back.

Most, it shows the roots of our morality in our primate past very clearly.

One book?

One time?

You know these are all professors, department heads and leaders in their field? These aren’t “airport books”.

• There really is no such thing as “the news”. That ship sailed the moment that ratings started to drive revenue for the news. There is a pretty cool series called “vice” that has some hard hitting and daring stuff on it, but it is fed by CNN and produced by Bill Maher, so …..

• alf1200 #8
    Oct 13, 2016 at 6:01 pm

That would make things easier for the intelligent portion of the population.

Actually many of them do disregard warnings – and those who are lucky enough to get away with it, are often smug afterwards!
    Others look for someone else to blame for their misfortunes!

Officials are not likely to order the mass arrest of residents who refuse to heed a mandatory evacuation order, according to the University of North Carolina’s School of Law. But this does not mean that mandatory evacuation orders should be ignored.

Those who ignore mandatory evacuation orders should be prepared to be self-sufficient for the first 72 hours after a storm.

Utilities – electricity, water and phone service – could be damaged and unavailable for extended periods of time, and high winds and water could isolate those residents for long periods of time.

In addition, public safety officials will not risk lives to respond to emergency calls in mandatory evacuation areas during the storm.

• Matt Drudge and Donald Trump are fools preaching to a choir of fools. However slanderous their accusations are
    by way of attributing deceptive, self-serving and corrupt motives to “government” (officials) for promoting a false alarm about asserting a causal connection between global warming and Hurricane Matthew, responsible climate scientists do warn lay people about the fallacy of connecting any single weather event; indeed the fallacy of connecting any single annual pattern of weather in a specific geographic location, to longer term GLOBAL climate change.