Inexplicable miracle, personally witnessed by Richard Dawkins

Nov 8, 2016

No Lourdes grotto this, or Fatima hillside, but the prosaic surroundings of Vancouver airport. At approximately 5 am Pacific Standard Time today, Monday 7th November, 2016, a sleep-deprived Robyn Blumner and I were waiting resignedly in a long line to pass through passport control. A middle-aged man with neatly coiffed white hair and glasses was hopping on one leg at the back of the line. Deeply moved by the pathos of his plight we, and everybody else in the line, gave way to him and he hopped painfully to the front. Some half an hour later we saw the same man walking normally on two legs, without any trace of his previous disablement. A blessed miracle!

With hindsight we might have guessed that he was destined for sainthood. It was attested by the heroic way he bore his suffering without crutches, wheelchair, or even a cane. And, again with hindsight, I rather fancy the mysterious sound I faintly heard as he passed me must have been the fluttering wings of the Holy Spirit.

I wanted to photograph him in order that his image should be preserved for posterity in the annals of the beatified. For some reason Robyn wouldn’t let me, saying something about lawsuits. To be sure, he might have been in a good position to hire a good lawyer, for we later saw him in First Class, as befitted his distinguished, expensively-dressed appearance. indeed, he could well have been a lawyer himself. I thought it unlikely that such a saintly man would sue, but Robyn tellingly countered that with God in his corner we couldn’t take chances.

I shall be transmitting this eye-witness testimony to the Vatican and to WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com.

16 comments on “Inexplicable miracle, personally witnessed by Richard Dawkins

• I think that was my husband. Just kidding! BUT you really should find out who that gentleman was – it may be that a soul so worthy may have been too humble to let his friends, employer, and family know that he was chosen for this wonderful miracle. Surely the airline would like to refund his fare, since clearly as God’s favorite he kept the plane in the air.

• I witnessed a “miracle” once.
    I was sitting at my desk and saw to my amazement a pencil turning 180 degrees like it was on a swivel.
    Upon closer examination I found a grain of sand and the pencil was balanced and spinning on it.
    Another “miracle”?
    I found an antique camera constantly in a different place other than where I placed it.
    I discovered when the table is vibrated, the camera started walking across the table.

I believe in “miracles”. I just don’t believe in miracles.

• Some half an hour later we saw the same man walking normally on two legs, without any trace of his previous disablement.

We all just witnessed what that kind of “Machiavellian skill” can achieve, on an enormously larger scale.

• @OP Deeply moved by the pathos of his plight we, and everybody else in the line, gave way to him and he hopped painfully to the front. Some half an hour later we saw the same man walking normally on two legs, without any trace of his previous disablement. A blessed miracle!

Maybe he had just taken the conflict diamonds out of his shoe after he had cleared passport control and customs! 🙂

• Well said, Richard.
    A similar story just played out that involved a wealthy man of cunning who played on the innate social solidarity of people to advance himself while dissadvantaging others. This analog to your story is political, and all sentiet life has been pushed back in line, made to unneccesarily wait to continue our journey to improve wellbing and reduce suffering for all. And like your cotton-topped antagonist, the conman succeeded in an environment where the majority believe that god is on his throne and has a plan. Some plan.

• Miracles happen at airports. More than once I’ve seen a wheelchair being pushed to the departure gate. More than once I’ve seen the person in the wheelchair jump up and walk briskly onwards. It occurs to me that maybe there was nothing wrong with their legs in the first place. I’ve had the same suspicion, looking at videos of faith healers, telling people to arise and walk and they have.

• You may have been the subject of a “pranging stunt”. Your miracle would not have been hard to fake. See the movie “The Magic Christian” from the 70s. You may have observed two similarly dressed gentlemen. On first encounter, there was no particular need to make careful note of his facial features.

• gwolf #12
    Nov 15, 2016 at 3:36 pm

To quote a roman catholic priest I once knew, “If an atheist witnessed the miracle, then it must be real.”

True! But Catholic priests do have a habit of missing the obvious rational explanations of what they take to be “miracles”!

• Verse, Alf 20:16
    “Thy will travel to the Airport and there you will find healing”
    “And you will purchase a Airplane ticket to Hawaii”
    “And lo and behold, he rose from his chair, stood and flew into the air”.
    “And the people cheered”……..