More hotels are checking out of the Bible business

Dec 4, 2016

By Hugo Martin

When the ultra-hip Moxy Hotel opens in San Diego next year, the rooms will be stocked with the usual amenities — an alarm clock, hair dryer, writing desk and flat-screen TV.

But you won’t find a Bible in the bedside nightstand.

Marriott International, the world’s largest hotel company, supplies a Bible and the Book of Mormon in the rooms of every other hotel in the franchise. But the company has recently decided that no religious materials should be offered at two of its newest millennial-oriented hotel brands, Moxy and Edition hotels.

Continue reading by clicking the name of the source below.

15 comments on “More hotels are checking out of the Bible business

• @link – James McKnight, pastor at the Congregational Church of Christian Fellowship in Los Angeles, said he isn’t offended when he finds his hotel room doesn’t include a Bible. He said that travelers who regularly read the Bible probably already have one with them, either in book or digital form.

I would have thought that should be a statement of the obvious – unless the plan is to push bibles into the faces of other travellers! – A move hardly likely to endear commercial companies to their customers!

• What would be a suitable book for someone stuck in a small town for a weekend for a business trip?
    Perhaps today there could be a Kobo with a thousand books preloaded.

• Wise decision. These days Gideon and Mormon wouldn’t be enough. You’d need to add a Koran and some of the works of L Ron Hubbard. Something HIndu too, like the Kama Sutra. And some Salman Rushdie. And Beatrix Potter. And Harry Potter. And Mao’s Little Red Book. Perhaps not Mein Kampf though.

• At the first Reason Rally in D.C. someone who spoke there (I can’t remember who it was) mentioned that we might deal with hotel bibles by marking pages and adding marginalia where it’s needed the most.

After the rally, my friend and I returned to our room and sure enough, there was that Bible in the drawer of the nightstand. My friend has had the good luck to never have been dragged to the local church by her parents for Sunday brainwashing classes and as a result she has no useful knowledge of the contents of the Bible. Since I was the one who was dragged to church every Sunday for 15 or 16 years for (futile) brainwashing, I took the lead on the editing job.

I didn’t have to think about it for long. I decided that the story of Lot was way overdue for an update. The first thing to do is mark the page by folding down the corner. Then, it’s important to use a neon highlighter to draw the eye to the important lines. Luckily, I never leave home with my trusty highlighter. Only neon yellow will do. I have a highlighter compulsion left over from my glorious college days at Northeastern U. I buy them by the ten pack, you know, just in case…o_O

So anyways, my friend was horrified by the story of Lot and his pervy hussy daughters and by the sadistic cruelty of the punishment of Lot’s wife for something that is absolutely not her fault, the poor thing.

I added notations in the margins regarding Lot’s poor family leadership when dealing with that angel who came a-knocking and then pointed out to the readers the disgraceful sexual behavior of Lot’s daughters when they tricked their own father into having sex with them. Incest and nonconsensual sex. Why did God kill their mother for turning her head and looking backward but he let these incestuous rapist women go unpunished? God is in cahoots with some unsavory characters, that’s obvious.

You’re welcome.

• Pushing bibles onto people is similar to what was portrayed in the movie Agora when the Bishop Cyril told the Roman prefect Orestes to KNEEL!!! Then the throng of christians screamed that the prefect should KNEEL!! (The team “kneel” should be replaced be the word “conform.” “Conform” can then be followed by the term OBEY , without question of course. Be sure to see the movie Agora.

• I figure that if someone in the hotel management put the Bible in that drawer so that their guest can read it in bed and make improvements to their character, then I owe it to the next guest to sleep there after me to have a version that has been improved with my twenty-first century ethically correct neon yellow highlighter and associated notations.

Isn’t that how the Bible was written?