I’m a slacker Muslim. But Donald Trump has us atheists nervous

Jan 17, 2017

By Sohaila Abdulali

On a recent return to New York after a short trip to India, I waltzed through immigration with my nice blue US passport. It says “Abdulali”, but nobody seemed to care. Will that be different next time I come back home?

The incoming administration has previously proposed a Muslim registry. I’m not from one of the so-called “high-risk countries”, but the name Abdulali suddenly feels like Hester Prynne’s scarlet letter – am I now supposed to justify myself every time I come home? Will I feel the old familiar pre-citizenship nerves and do my best to grovel and look harmless when the officer appraises me before I escape thankfully to baggage claim? What about my Pakistani cousins who might want to visit?

This feeling of nervousness is unpleasantly familiar. In 1992, India suddenly changed after a mosque was destroyed, and ethnic riots swept the country. The nice man I bought flowers from at the Delhi market near my flat asked me in all seriousness why I didn’t go “back” to Pakistan – a place that might not even have let me in as a tourist while I had an Indian passport. I was indignant, and then heartbroken. At least there was comfort in the thought that this could never happen in the US, my adopted home.

Continue reading by clicking the name of the source below.

32 comments on “I’m a slacker Muslim. But Donald Trump has us atheists nervous

• I’m certainly proud to express my atheistic worldview when confronted with any situation that calls for said expression. Being brought up Roman Catholic I accepted the god of Abraham and was taught Jesus was the Lord and Savior of all mankind. Though beginning in my late teenage years I began to fall away from these beliefs when confronted with contradictory information.
    I find myself becoming exceedingly more anxious as the time moves closer to the inauguration of Donald Trump. This article just provides me with less comfort knowing that this man could have to be forced to register as something he is not.
    The writer a fellow non-believer but is subjected to unwarranted stress due to a gratuitous label. I can’t help but feel that small amount of anger and discontent towards my fellow Americans, including my close friends and family, who put this goon in office.

• @OP – am I now supposed to justify myself every time I come home?

Of course this sort of scapegoating is self perpetuating as their brain-lazy approach to management generates problems where victim blaming can boost their egotistical delusions of expertise.

The instances of Republican states blaming and victimising trans-sexuals for their state’s discriminating failure to recognise needs and organise suitable public wash-room facilities and toilets for all, is another example!

The religious and politically motivated attacks on science and scientists, by the ignorant in denial, is another example!

• Strangelove, what do you mean? You didn’t understand it or you agree with it or what? How is one supposed to understand your meaning when quite clearly the article did make sense. The man is deeply concerned about his future standing in the USA. If you think that is meaningless, then say so.

• I may be throwing my ignorance around here, but in reference to a statement at the end of the article, how does one go about becoming 36% Muslim? Does such a person do this by only adopting 36 out of every 100 Islamic tenets?

• 7
    fadeordraw says:

“Bleating, “I’m an atheist, for God’s sake” doesn’t get me very far. And I find that highly annoying.

So 1stly, Sohaila Abdulali article is about fear of the future. A lot of us fear Emperor/Elected King Trump, as well as the strength of the US checks and balances to manage its elected king democracy; which hasn’t worked out too badly to date, though the grid lock over the past four years deeply suggested there’s something not right with the system.
    But Sohaila’s about an atheist Muslin/Arab; as in the atheist Jew; more an ethic than a religious thing. My interpretation is that she fears airport hassles or restrictions because of her name and geo-ethnic origin. Because some broad brush stroke and, what else would one call it, fascist/storm trooper regime, would paint her with religious fanatics/terrorists colours. Is she paranoid? Will that wall get built?

• fadeordraw, I’m just curious as to why you refer to our president-elect as a king and emperor. Is this simply because you don’t see his election victory as legitimate?

About the wall, I was skeptical about it being built when Trump was elected, despite his campaign promise to do so. But now I believe it will be built. I know my position on this matter will be frowned upon here, but I’m all for the wall, as I’m against illegal immigration.

Actually, I’m against anything and everything illegal.

…just my 2 pesos.

• 9
    fadeordraw says:

Michael Rohde, as with France, the US selected a “precedential” democracy; the other approach was England’s parliamentary democracy, which evolved into a symbolic monarchy. My understanding is that the US chose to have a term-determined elected leader/king, who is kept in place by checks and balances via the Congress and Senate. USAers are, under this approach, electing a term-restricted supreme ruler. I’m a little more comfortable with parliamentary democracy governance.

• Michael Rohde #8
    Jan 18, 2017 at 8:42 pm

Actually, I’m against anything and everything illegal.

This is somewhat of a circular argument and a politically null position!

Anything is “legal” if the local legislature and jurisdiction approves it!

Opposing apartheid, corrupt governments, assassination (police) squads, and blasphemy persecutions, is “illegal” according to local laws, in those corrupt jurisdictions and theocracies!

• Michael Rohde #6
    Jan 18, 2017 at 7:39 pm

It is possible to be “cultural Muslim” (ie. a person coming from a Muslin background and upbringing), in the same way as it is possible to be a cultural Christian and an atheist – but probably more difficult in a theocracy where Muslim apostasy is punishable by death or imprisonment!

• Michael Rohde – You are spot on. This country has always supported LEGAL immigration. I want to ask many on the left; “What part of ‘illegal’ don’t you understand?”. I also see no reason that one should be rewarded for breaking a country’s laws. I can promise you that if I sneaked into any other country and announced that ‘hey, I want some special favors even though I broke your country’s laws’ that I would either be tossed out the door on my bum or shown a jail cell for awhile.

Trump is going to do just fine. He turned most of the states from blue to red and beat out a great many contenders with far more financing and political experience during the primaries. Hillary was a horribly flawed candidate. Think about it,, the FIRST female presidential candidate EVER in the history of the country and she couldn’t get more than 51 percent of the country’s women to vote for her. She tried every trick in the book, like throwing up some women making accusations against Trump weeks before the election… and notice these women have all ‘mysteriously’ disappeared from the media. When the Democrats can’t win the first thing they do is throw the ‘racist’ or ‘sexist’ label in an attempt to shut-up a candidate. The latter is remarkable considering the Democratic Party was the party that supported black slavery and it took a Republican president to free the slaves – much to the consternation of the Democrats of the time who wanted slaves and old Bill Clinton couldn’t keep his hands off the ladies or keep his zipper, zipped up. The Democrats (and establishment Republicans) need to look seriously in the mirror and stop the denial and misinformation.

As to this article – if 9 out of 10 times people are bitten and get seriously ill or die from the bite of a polkadot snake,, guess what? Society rightly makes the observation that they need to be careful and monitor the location of the polka-dotted snake. It doesn’t mean that society ‘hates’ polka-dots – just that they have recognized a pattern from whence the trouble seems to stem. To do otherwise would be foolhardy. So, there is absolutely nothing wrong about vetting people who come from areas of the world from where terrorism seems to arise.

So, Michael,, you are not alone in your observations – the election proved that. Despite having voted as a Democrat in the previous two presidential elections, I realized it was time for a different course and not just ‘more of the same nothing’. The change of power from one president to another is an amazing thing to witness. If the establishment Repubs don’t get in Trump’s way, I think we are onto a positive direction – FINALLY!

• Eddie #12
    Jan 19, 2017 at 6:58 am

It seems that you have bought Trump’s hype hook line and sinker!
    Just because the Democrats have poor candidates or are in the pockets of corporate sponsors, that does not make Trump a better candidate!

Most of Obama’s lack of progress can be attributed to Republican opposition and obstruction in both elected houses!

He has just “drained a massive section of the corrupt corporate swamp” into his cabinet while claiming to “fighting corrumption” – and is too know-it all incompetent, to give coherent answers to even basic questions where expert advice is readily available!
    He demonstrably has no diplomatic skills in dealing with foreign governments, but Putin may find him to be “a useful idiot”!

You really should be careful what you wish for!

Let’s see how soon the inevitable political disasters change your mind when the contrast between the media fantasies, and the harsh realities of Trump’s chaotic superficiality of perceptions kick in!

BTW: not being an American, I have never voted for Democrats or Republicans, but simply look at the competence in the objectives and manifesto promises of politicians – along with their previous track records.

In Trump’s case, his deep underlying flaws, are so hidden by a smokescreen of superficial flaws, and knee-jerk twiterings, that it is difficult to see if he has ANY coherent policy on anything at all!

So far his only consistent (now belatedly disclosed) policy, has been to appoint the most inappropriate people he can find, to posts in his cabinet!

• Alan4discussion,

I see your point, so I will rephrase and clarify my statement: with respect to current U.S. laws and policies, if it’s prefixed with illegal, I’m against it.

I understand one can be a cultural Christian or Muslim in the manner you’ve described, but construing this into a percentage is a silly attempt to equate religiosity with race. Sorry Ben Affleck, Muslim is NOT a race, good sir.

As for Trump’s cabinet nominees, I’m quite wary of Betsy DeVos and Scott Pruitt (in this order), given their stances with respect to their designated departments. On the positive end of the spectrum, I’m all for James Mattis as secretary of defense. I think this is Trump’s best cabinet choice. Mattis’ hearing responses were downright superb and consistent. I have to laugh at everyone that would prefer a lawyer or lobbyist assume this role. For their own sake, I can see why our enemies would prefer such a nominee.

• Michael Rohde #14
    Jan 19, 2017 at 3:18 pm

I think the point in the OP is not so much about illegal immigrants, but about Trump’s statements about Muslins in general, including American citizens and those from counties in Europe.

This threw up an interesting diplomatic situation in London when he announced the ban on Muslims entering America – and Sadiq Khan – ex-UK government cabinet minister was elected mayor of London!

Sadiq Khan’s win in London was a victory for enlightened, grown-up indifference – May 14th 2016

EVENTUALLY, every senior politician in Britain is invited to Buckingham Palace to join the Privy Council, the body that notionally advises the queen. In 2009 Sadiq Khan, then transport minister, was asked on which version of the Bible he wanted to swear his oath. He replied that, as a Muslim, he would like to use a Koran. Buckingham Palace had none, so he brought his own. Afterwards, when the palace tried to return it, he asked: “Can I leave it here for the next person?”

On May 5th Londoners voted to make Mr Khan their mayor. Except for the direct vote for the Portuguese and French presidents, he thus holds the biggest personal mandate in Europe. His landslide over the Conservatives (he took 57% of the vote to 43% for Zac Goldsmith, his posh Tory rival) was a rebuke to hardliners of all sorts. At a stroke it became harder for Islamic State’s recruiters to tour public housing estates in Europe and convince young Muslims from immigrant backgrounds that they have no place in the liberal West. The de facto capital of that liberal West had just entrusted its future to a mosque-going, gay-marriage-supporting, proudly Muslim family man with precisely such a hinterland.

His win was also a rebuke to Western nativists like Donald Trump and Nigel Farage, the leader of the UK Independence Party. It gave the lie to the nonsense spouted by visitors to Europe who see a woman wearing a niqab and assume the continent is under sharia law. Mr Trump announced on May 10th that Mr Khan would be exempt from his putative entry ban on non-American Muslims, which he then called “just a suggestion”. London’s mayor rejected the exemption: “This isn’t just about me. It’s about my friends, my family and everyone who comes from a background similar to mine, anywhere in the world.” Within days he had used the guff about “Londonistan” and “Eurabia” to become a global symbol of tolerance and religious pluralism.

• Alan4discussion #15
    Jan 19, 2017 at 5:10 pm

Another interesting feature, is that the previous mayor of London was Boris Johnson – an outspoken right-wing, brexiteer, Trump lookalike, – whose party lost to Sadiq Khan!

• Michael Rohde #8
    Actually, I’m against anything and everything illegal.

Do you think that social change only ever takes place within the boundaries of legal discourse? At one time segregation was the law of the land, and African Americans were forced to sit at the back of the bus.
    Was Rosa Parks out of line?

• To Somalia Abdulali:

The central problem is not Islam or Muslims, it is religion itself…ALL religions. As Voltair once correctly said ” Those who can make people believe absurdities, can also make people commit atrocities.”

• Michael Rohde #8
    Jan 18, 2017 at 8:42 pm

Actually, I’m against anything and everything illegal.

Then I suppose you are against Trump’s ill-considered arbitrary restrictions and deportations which judges have just declared illegal!

A federal judge has granted a stay on deportations for people who arrived in the US with valid visas but were detained on entry, following President Donald Trump’s executive order to halt travel from seven Muslim-majority countries.

The stay is only a partial block to the broader executive order, with the judge stopping short of a broader ruling on its constitutionality. Nevertheless, it was an early, significant blow to the new administration.

Less than 24 hours after two Iraqi men were detained at John F Kennedy airport in New York on Saturday morning, Judge Ann Donnelly of the federal district court in Brooklyn ordered an emergency stay, blocking the deportation of any individual currently being held in airports across the United States.

“I think the government hasn’t had a full chance to think about this,” Donnelly told a packed courtroom.

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) and other groups filed the lawsuit earlier on Saturday, challenging the detention of the two Iraqi men, with two more plaintiffs were later added to the suit, who were both valid US green-card holders. But the judge’s ruling extended to all individuals facing similar situations across the United States.

The two plaintiffs included two Iraqi refugees who had spent hours detained at JFK: Hameed Khalid Darweesh, who had worked for the US government for a decade, and Haider Sameer Abdulkhaleq Alshawi, who arrived in the country to join his wife, a US contractor.

The stay, which applies nationwide, will last at least until a hearing scheduled for 21 February, the judge said, and includes people on valid visas of all kinds and green-card holders.

• @OP – am I now supposed to justify myself every time I come home? Will I feel the old familiar pre-citizenship nerves and do my best to grovel and look harmless when the officer appraises me before I escape thankfully to baggage claim?

Sohaila Abdulali in the OP, seems to have got it spot on in summing up the knee-jerk stupidity in this executive order!

Britain’s four-time Olympic gold medallist Sir Mo Farah has criticised US President Donald Trump for imposing an order that leaves him unsure whether he can return to the United States.

Farah, 33, was born in Somalia but has lived in Oregon for the past six years.

Somali nationals are among those banned from travelling to the US under the executive order issued on Friday.

“It’s deeply troubling that I will have to tell my children daddy might not be able to come home,” said Farah.

“On 1 January this year, Her Majesty The Queen made me a Knight of the Realm. On 27 January, President Donald Trump seems to have made me an alien.”

Farah said he believed Trump’s policy “comes from a place of ignorance and prejudice”

• Trump is now also facing a backlash from the UK government!

Prime Minister Theresa May has told her foreign secretary and home secretary to contact their US counterparts about a travel ban imposed by President Trump.

Boris Johnson and Amber Rudd will make representations about the order barring refugees and visa holders from seven Muslim majority countries for 90 days.

Earlier Mr Johnson tweeted it was “divisive and wrong” to stigmatise people on the basis of nationality.

Mrs May has come under fire for not condemning the order earlier.

After she initially said it was up to the US to decide its policy on refugees, No 10 later issued a statement saying she did “not agree with this kind of approach and it is not one we will be taking” adding that if there was any impact on UK nationals “then clearly we will make representations to the US government about that.”

A Conservative MP, Nadhim Zahawi, who was born in Iraq, is among those who have said they would not be able to travel to the US while the temporary ban is in place.

News seems to be coming out, that Trump only consulted his yes-men on the wording, and did not seek professional advice from the permanent federal professional staff!

• fadeordraw #9
    Jan 18, 2017 at 9:24 pm

I’m a little more comfortable with parliamentary democracy governance.

Trump is providing prime examples of why we should be – and the chaotic consequences of trying to operate without democratic checks and balances in place!

I see Trump, having made a simplistic order without proper competent advice or analysis of consequences, is now doggedly defending his half baked decision, despite widespread international criticism and judicial rulings, from those with more depth of understanding of the issues.

The Trump administration is standing firm over its ban on refugees from seven countries despite court rulings and mass protests against the move.

A number of judges ruled on the issue – one federal judge temporarily halted the deportation of visa holders.

There has been condemnation from countries around the world.

Mr Trump’s executive order, signed on Friday, halted the entire US refugee programme for 120 days, indefinitely banned Syrian refugees, and suspended all nationals from seven Muslim-majority countries for 90 days.

Those who were already mid-flight were detained on arrival – even if they held valid US visas or other immigration permits.

Judges have their say

Late on Saturday, federal Judge Ann Donnelly, in New York, ruled against the removal from the US of people with approved refugee applications, valid visas, and “other individuals… legally authorised to enter the United States”.

The emergency ruling also said there was a risk of “substantial and irreparable injury” to those affected.

Elsewhere in the US:

In Boston, a judge decided two Iranian nationals, university professors should be released from detention at Logan International Airport

An order issued in Virginia banned, for seven days, the deportation of green card holders held at Dulles Airport and ordered the authorities to allow access to lawyers

A Seattle judge issued an emergency stay of removal from the US for two people

But the Department of Homeland Security said it would continue to enforce the measures.

• I read my newsfeed today and the mess that this pompous idiot has created is really disheartening. He has fucked more shit up in ten days… He has more bad moments in ten days than Obama had in 8 years. Iraqis are saddened by his decision (Thanks Asshat, now IRAQ has the moral high ground). Canada has stepped up and offered love and compassion (Thanks pig, Canada is better at being America than we are). International and domestic outrage — not to mention the other debacles he has (is) orchestrated.

I cannot fathom stepping all over the constitution like this. And, I was very proud of the Christian leaders in the US (doesn’t happen often, but I am being objective here). This pile of dog shit actually (wink wink, nudge nudge) said that he’d FAVOR Christians from these countries and the Christian leaders scolded him and told him it was unacceptable and that it fosters a division amongst the religions. Rarely are they that lucid, usually when something favors them, they take it with entitlement. Now, how about paying some FUCKING TAXES?

Oh, and, way to guarantee more “home grown” terrorists and well, ISIS thanks you, they’ve never had it so so so easy to recruit. I hope the world sees the people in our country that are standing up and being heard. Let’s do this little “book keeping” exercise. Let’s see how many lives are lost in Canada due to hate, despite the “influx of Muslims”. People are people. I will wager a years salary to a penny that the good ol’ US suffers more attacks than Canada. This was played completely wrong.

The judges who read the order said it looked like a first year college student drafted it and it doesn’t even delineate any parameters whatsoever. And, I just cannot get over the contingent in the US that rabidly defends that second amendment but has absolutely no issue with blatantly ripping peoples FIRST amendment rights away.

I got choked up when I read a piece where the German PM beseeched Trump, from experience, NOT to build a wall. Remember Reagan? “Mr. Gorbachev, tear down that wall”. And that disgusting shit ball Mike Pence, who two years ago decried the idea of banning Muslims and stood behind Trump with that fucking smug frat boy rapist grin. TWAT.

Dan and LaurieB, looks like I owe you both a sincere apology. I really thought he’d be an inept buffoon, not a danger to the world order.

• You’re a good man, Crooked.

I hope the world sees the people in our country that are standing up
    and being heard.

We do indeed. And it gives us great hope. (I’ve just posted a long comment to that very effect on the “5 Reasons a Trump Administration Should Scare the Sh*t … thread).

• strangelove #3
    Jan 18, 2017 at 3:23 pm

This article made no sense whatsoever.

Does it make more sense to you now, – with the benefit of hindsight?

@#2 – This is just a further manifestation of the anti-education, brain-lazy, know-it-all Republicans of the Xtian Right, who look to create victims to bully and attack, as an alternative to thinking through solutions to complex problems.

Perhaps my comment @#2 is also clearer – as a prediction of anticipated events!

• crooked

Forget about it already! Just…To the barricades!!!

• Marco,
    I always hits me right in the “feels” when someone has the opinion that I am somehow “good”. Thank you for the compliment, it really does make a difference to me. i am a teacher and I pride myself on looking right at a person and saying things that others do not say. I tell the kids “I am proud of you”. I tell the kids “you are someone that I would want on my team”. i always try to tell someone when I hear another say something flattering about them. In a world where most spread ugly rumors and bad feelings, I try to spread good. And, if I garner a compliment along the way? Awesome! thank you for being direct and i am flattered that you think of me at all. You know who is a “good man”? LaurieB. Look at her post. LaurieB, you rock.

• The chaos generating, sheer amateurish incompetence, is now coming to light – while Trump remains in egotistical denial!

Friday night, DHS arrived at the legal interpretation that the executive order restrictions applying to seven countries — Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Syria, Sudan and Yemen — did not apply to people with lawful permanent residence, generally referred to as green card holders.

The White House overruled that guidance overnight, according to officials familiar with the rollout. That order came from the President’s inner circle, led by Stephen Miller and Steve Bannon. Their decision held that, on a case by case basis, DHS could allow green card holders to enter the US.

There had been some debate whether green card holders should be even allowed to board international flights. It was decided by the Department of Homeland Security they could fly to the US and would be considered on a case-by-case basis after passing a secondary screening.
    But the guidance sent to airlines on Friday night, obtained by CNN, said clearly, “lawful permanent residents are not included and may continue to travel to the USA.”

As of Saturday afternoon, Customs and Border Protection continued to issue the same guidance to airlines as it did Friday, telling airlines that fly to the US that green card holders can board planes to the US but they may get extra scrutiny on arrival, according to an airline official.

Before the President issued the order, the White House did not seek the legal guidance of the Office of Legal Counsel, the Justice Department office that interprets the law for the executive branch, according to a source familiar with the process.
    White House officials disputed that Sunday morning, saying that OLC signed off and agency review was performed.
    A source said the creation of the executive order did not follow the standard agency review process that’s typically overseen by the National Security Council.

Separately, a person familiar with the matter said career officials in charge of enforcing the executive order were not fully briefed on the specifics until Friday. The officials were caught off guard by some of the specifics and raised questions about how to handle the new banned passengers on US-bound planes.
    Regarding the green card holders and some of the confusion about whether they were impacted, the person familiar with the matter said if career officials had known more about the executive order earlier, some of the confusion could have been avoided and a better plan could be in place.
    Administration officials also defended the process Saturday. They said the people who needed to be briefed ahead of time on the plane were briefed and that people at the State Department and DHS who were involved in the process were able to make decisions about who to talk and inform about this.

Bannon and Miller were running point on this order and giving directives regarding green cards, according to a Republican close to the White House.
    But even after the Friday afternoon announcement, administration officials at the White House took several hours to produce text of the action until several hours after it was signed. Adviser Kellyanne Conway even said at one point it was not going to be released before eventually it did get sent out.
    Administration officials also seemed unsure at first who was covered in the action, and a list of impacted countries was only produced later on Friday night, hours after the President signed the document at the Pentagon.

Asked during a photo opportunity in the Oval Office Saturday afternoon about the rollout, Trump said his government was “totally prepared.”
    “It’s working out very nicely,” Trump told reporters
    . “You see it at the airports. You see it all over. It’s working out very nicely and we’re going to have a very, very strict ban, and we’re going to have extreme vetting, which we should have had in this country

The policy team at the White House developed the executive order on refugees and visas, and largely avoided the traditional interagency process that would have allowed the Justice Department and homeland security agencies to provide operational guidance, according to numerous officials who spoke to CNN on Saturday.

• Trump just wants a steady stream of photo opportunities where he can sign bits of paper with Pence and Bannon leering behind him. Clearly he doesn’t much care what is written on the bits of paper or whether competent lawyers have actually studied them. Trump doesn’t do “details”. He doesn’t have the intelligence or attention span for it. This is not a presidency, it’s a tv show. If it was a good tv show it might be The West Wing but actually it’s more like The Worst Wing.

Even Dick Cheney has just lambasted the travel order. Holy crap. When the man who invaded Iraq for no good reason and suck’s Satan’s dick every night before beddybyes says you’ve gone too far then you’ve really run out of road.

Obviously every Democrat is against it but even a good handful of Republican congressmen have spoken out….except for one. Not a peep out of Paul Ryan except for a comment via a spokesman that doesn’t criticise the ban. Ryan is obviously playing from the Chris Christie, Rudi Giuliani playbook – get as far up Trump’s arse as you can bear to go and try not to breathe the stench in. It didn’t work out well for either of the above though.

I know it’s a bugger for everyone stuck in transit but in a way I’m not that unhappy. The way Trump is running things is so insanely amateurish one might as well just keep giving him more rope. He’s doing a better job of hanging himself than anyone else could. It’s been a first week of lurching from catastrophe to crisis with several doses of utter humiliation being thrown in along the way. Several months ago I posted that Trump couldn’t run a bath properly let alone a country. I’m still liking that one-liner.