Apr 26, 2017

By Hemant Mehta

While San Antonio Mayor Ivy Taylor sticks her fingers in her ears and refuses to apologize for saying poverty is caused by people who don’t have a “relationship with their Creator,” atheist groups have pushed back with statements calling her faith-based ignorance into question.

This is what Taylor said this in a forum earlier this month:

To me, it’s broken people. People not being in a relationship with their Creator, and therefore, not being in good relationship with their families and their communities, and not being productive members of society. I think that’s the ultimate answer. That’s not something that I work on from my position as Mayor of the community…

While she went on to suggest teen pregnancy and education inequality were also factors, and she was working to address them, she never backed down from her belief that atheists and others who don’t accept her Christian God bear unique responsibility in causing poverty.

Continue reading by clicking the name of the source below.

13 comments on “Atheists Demand Apology from San Antonio Mayor Who Blamed Them for Causing Poverty

• From OP –

To me, it’s broken people.
    and not being productive members of society.
    I think that’s the ultimate answer.
    That’s not something that I work on from my position as Mayor of the community…

A clear example of delusional “No True Scotsman” pseudo-answers, which come from inside a little narrow minded god-delusion bubble, where they will solve no real problems in the real world:- but are nevertheless, uttered with the superior airs of Dunning-Kruger profound ignorance!

I think that’s the ultimate answer.

Clearly a false claim!
    Thinking does not seem to be one of this mayor’s attributes!

“Ultimate answer”?? – She is clearly clueless about the basic questions!

• @OP analysis on link:-

My own request for comment has gone unanswered by Taylor’s team,
    and there’s no indication she’s responded to any of the groups.

Meanwhile, on Facebook, she’s encouraging people to re-elect her as Mayor.
    If disparaging atheists and then refusing to acknowledge her ignorance is part of some warped campaign strategy,
    she has no business being back in office.

The US (though by no means exclusively), has a strange habit of electing lying muppets who are obviously unfit for public office!

The clip posted on YouTube wasn’t selectively edited or a “dishonest, politically motivated misrepresentation of [her] record,” as she claimed.

Another false news hypocritical lying politician! Not really a surprise!

It quoted her verbatim. Unless the additional comments she made included the words, “I’m just kidding,” and they didn’t, there’s no reason to think the implication about her views wasn’t accurate.

Atheists simply lack that delusional theistic Humpty Dumpty ability, to retrospectively reinterpret words to mean anything they choose them to mean! 🙂

(“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” ” (—Lewis Caroll)

It’s one of the reasons some of the faithful, think fairy stories are history books or science texts!

• It would be so nice if some sort of textbook or a manual can be printed that shows names and ocupations and above all list of psychopatology of all of this politicians. If there are available some medical data that would be useful. If not, they can be chategorized perhaps by some profesional psychiatric manuals to determine type of patology. Not looking to deeply I have found this for start: https://www.sociopathicstyle.com/psychopathic-traits/ , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopathy_Checklist.

It would be such a fun!! hahaha. Of course, in the foreword there would be a disclaimer and explanation that those patology lists are based not on physical examination. Well, if bible can be sold as history (there is no foreword saying that what is written is not based on true events)… so why not this sort of manual. 😉 If people are allowed to say all sort of bullshit like this mayor, so why not this manual “bullshit”. 😉
    It would be such fun!! A bestseller!!

• I hope she doesn’t apologize.

–//–

I like the idea of her being encouraged to meet with atheists and to think about how she might be surprised by who all is an atheist. That’s good stuff.

-the demand for an apology… eek!

• Sean_W #4
    Apr 27, 2017 at 9:11 am

I hope she doesn’t apologize.

Why?
    If decent people make wild false allegations about others, they acknowledge the mistake, withdraw the comments, take more care about what they say in future, and apologise to the defamed parties!

Of course fundamentalist fanatics, full of self importance and the infallible assurance of faith-thinking, just continue with their delusional views and blame other people for the problems of practical realities they themselves fail to address!! Sometimes they even play the martyr if held accountable!

Not only is this claim, an unjustified sleight on atheists, but it is also a statement of total diagnostic incompetence as an elected representative, supposedly dealing with the problems and causes of poverty and deprivation!
    (Evangelical conversions, do NOT cure poverty – quite the reverse!)

“It’s nothing to do with me and my cult – blame them!”, demonstrates zero ability to understand or remedy the listed problems!

That would be a good approach, if she was likely to constructively engage and learn something about atheists.

However, as @OP- she never backed down from her belief… , the indications are that she is a closed minded bigot full of “faith” pseudo-answers, who has negligible ability to reason or learn to update or correct, her fixed preconceptions!

• Extraordinary! Even the fundie YEC mate I used to debate many years ago would never have thought or said that atheists were unproductive or to blame for any of society’s ills. He was sad that I was going to hell for eternity but had no issue with how hard I worked at the job I was doing back then. In fact rather the opposite. I got good A levels, then higher education, qualified as a chartered accountant, set up my own business. He finished school with a few gcse’s, no real prospects of anything other than a menial admin job somewhere and spent most of his spare time worshipping his non existent sky pixie. No god needed to get where I got to and his god didn’t appear to help him out very much.

I wonder how productive this nutcase thinks the people in Iceland, Norway, Sweden etc are where nearly 90% say religion plays no part in daily life for them. Perhaps she thinks they just laze about trying to ruin society and the other 10% do all the work?

No one like this should be in public office.

• Arkrid

I’d be surprised if the nutcase could find those three countries on the map of the world never mind discuss the state of the religiosity of their citizens or anything else about them at all.

I really wonder how many Americans are aware of the low levels of religiosity in all European countries. I was never aware of it until I started reading this website years ago. One of my favorite cousins toured U.K. years ago and announced to me that every Sunday when he attended church services in whatever location he was in on that day, that the churches were nearly empty! He looked to me for some explanation and I told him that religion was a fading interest of the Europeans. He found that to be quite unsettling.

American ignorance aside, the facts about this are not something that the religious right would like to become generally known since they undermine their bottom line. The success of the secular, socialist democracy countries of Europe is in direct conflict with the political platform of the Republican religious right party. They’ve done a very efficient job of painting Europe as a very screwed up place indeed. It would require an American to do a wider search outside of our own media system to get to the truth of the matter. A little travel helps to inform us as well, as long as it isn’t one of those whirlwind tours where tourists are completely sheltered from the “natives” that they may encounter there. But I’ve had it explained to me by some American homebodies that there was no need to venture into foreign places since we have more than enough beautiful places to see right here in the good ole USA!

• Folks,
    Why dignify such clear pandering and idiocy with time and effort? This woman is a politician. Right now, that is the absolute worst insult I can imagine. She’s Trump, she’s Clinton, she’s Spicer, Christie, Perry, Pelosi…..she is a Yale educated, privileged, shit-monger who’s own parents are divorced. Can you be less connected to family than WALKING AWAY from each other? And, attending Yale was (presumably) attained through intellect and effort. But see, she’s found a job where neither are needed. Now she’s dedicating her intellect to getting re-elected.

Fuck her and the rest of this human cesspool called politics.

• This woman is a politician. Right now, that is the absolute worst
    insult I can imagine.

The worst insult. Yes! Except I never in my life thought that they are worthy of respect 😉 . One often hear how prostitutes are bad and a scum of society, and when someone wants to insult others often compares them with prostitutes.
    But I consider prostitutes even worthy of respect than politicians! hahaha

I have no words to describe how disgusting politicians are, and their profession. And I have not come up yet with a word of insult appropriate for them. It is lowest of the lowest.

• …and as the article below asks, can we forgive them, or trust them,
    to make the right decision.

In my point of view, this religious politicians are worst than ones without religion. If that is even possible haha. Possibly because this faith of theirs gives them so many legal space for all sorts of deviant behavior.

• The question I have is,, “Who, How and Why was a candidate for the Queens, (New York) elected in a State like Texas??
    Her parents were, Indoctrinated, “Pentecostal Holiness” members and she claims to be a, “Baptist”??
    The other, “Obvious” symbol is the, “t” necklace chain she wears as her, “Symbol of Obedience” to her imaginary friend instead of the, Secular job description she is supposed to follow which is a violation of the First Amendment of keeping her religious bigoted, bias and racist views out of governmental daily business..
    Oh that’s right,,, we’re talking about Texas,, land of the dumb and dumbest..

• @crookedshoes

I respectfully disagree. We need to be careful not to come across as whiny, after all many atheists are smart, well educated and far from threatened directly by such comments. But wouldn’t we point out other form of bigotry for what it is? Reason is under attack, and perhaps someone should use this as an opportunity to calmly and rationally point out the sort of morality that is derived from her holy books. I would have thought it’s support for slavery would be quite salient here.