Louisiana Attorney General: “We Will Get Prayer Back in Public Schools”

Sep 27, 2017

By Hemant Mehta

On Thursday night, Louisiana’s Attorney General Jeff Landry spoke to a group of conservative Christians at a private event for the Louisiana Family Forum, a Religious Right group. And he told them it was his goal to bring prayer back to public schools.

As if it ever left.

The Times-Picayune reports:

Louisiana Attorney General Jeff Landry is vowing to fight for prayer in public schools, telling a friendly audience of several hundred people: “With your prayers, and an offense, we will get prayer back in public schools.”

Landry said he was encouraged recently by a court ruling that a Michigan county board may open its meetings with a Christian prayer and invite audience members to join. The 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Cincinnati rejected assertions that the prayers violated the Constitution.

“I just want you to know that we are winning, and we will get God back into this country,” Landry said.

Continue reading by clicking the name of the source below.

14 comments on “Louisiana Attorney General: “We Will Get Prayer Back in Public Schools”

• @OP – The 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Cincinnati rejected assertions that the prayers violated the Constitution.

Those Humpty-Dumptyist faith interpretation blinkers, greatly “help” the brain-addled thinking of the deeply indoctrinated, when reading documents as saying what they “should have said” on behalf of a god-delusion using “faith”, rather than what is actually written using law!

Humpty Dumptyism (uncountable)

(idiomatic) The practice of insisting that a word means whatever one wishes it to

Etymology
    From the fictional character Humpty Dumpty in Lewis Caroll’s Through the Looking-Glass, who, when asked what he meant by “glory”, replies “I meant ‘there’s a nice knock-down argument for you!'”.
    Alice protests that this isn’t the meaning of “glory” and Humpty Dumpty replies “When I use a word it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.”

• “I just want you to know that we are winning, and we will get God back into this country,” Landry said.

That’s exactly what I’m afraid of…them winning. Could we rethink the results of the Civil War please?

• Laurie #2

Prayer in public schools is a clear violation of the Constitution.

This was an issue in the 80s! They never stop. These sons-of-dogs never stop! When will they stop! WHEN WILL THEY STOP!

(Dogs. Gender-neutral. But insulting to the cute and fine Doggie Community. You’re right, however, about the word lady: annoying – in many instances – and brings too much baggage.)

• LaurieB #2
    Sep 27, 2017 at 2:07 pm

“I just want you to know that we are winning,
    and we will get God back into this country,” Landry said.

The delusional CLAIMING they are winning, – and conning their uncritical supporters that they are winning, can be quite different from actually winning!
    (You have probably watched debates where closed-minded fundamentalists claim to have “won the argument” by a process of circular fallacies self deception!)

“Luther Strange has been shooting up in the Alabama polls since my endorsement,” Mr Trump wrote in one now-removed post.

• Dan

Oh, finally! 😉

I don’t think they can or will stop. I think that the only thing we can do is give them a strong shove backward and then implement a policy of containment. Let’s hope the Dems are gearing up for an aggressive campaign although like Bill Maher says, the Dems have no killer instinct.

• Alan

I’m clinging onto the articles that point out a decline in the numbers of devout Christians. The numbers are encouraging and I feel optimistic about the young people here but I live in a liberal state and can’t get a real feeling for other states. Of course numbers are what counts here but when I wake up and discover that people like Trump, Bush, and this mental defective – Roy Moore have been elected it’s a shock to the system and I have to remember that the South of US has a significantly different culture and mentality to ours here in the Northeast. Still, it’s jarring. It’s unsettling to recognize that I feel a greater affinity to certain groups in other countries than I do to my own countrymen in the current political environment. I don’t know, maybe that’s not so strange at all. Just a sad realization.

• Dan

Although I expressed annoyance with Hillary a while back I now don’t blame her for writing that book and pointing fingers at those who deserve it. With more details every day about Russian interference and every other dastardly deed that conspired against her I believe she was screwed out of the Presidency that she worked so hard for all of those years in preparation. I hope she experiences the satisfaction of a public truth that will be told some day. I don’t know what else could be done about it at this point. I get what you’ve said about “hitting bottom” as a society. I can’t stand the thoughts of it but it seems like we’re on the downhill slide to the bottom no matter what I think about it. I’m desperate for some reassurance that this scenario is only temporary. I know you can’t give that to me so don’t even bother trying. I’ve had some thoughts lately that I won’t put in writing that are straight out of the Anarchy notebook. Also, I’m reading a biography of Emma Goldman. She’s influencing me across the century.

• Emma Goldman is 22 carat.

My daughter (I think it was) found her for me. Uncannily modern and wise especially on atheism and homosexuality.

The strongest bulwark of authority is uniformity; the least divergence from it is the greatest crime.

The hugely familiar

If voting changed anything, they’d make it illegal.

and almost as well known

People have only as much liberty as they have the intelligence to want and the courage to take.

• I forgot about the biography!
    To the Barricades: The Anarchist Life of Emma Goldman

Watching Rachel.

Oh, finally!

I said the same thing on the other thread ten days ago; you missed it.

Dan #77
    Sep 17, 2017 at 10:15 pm

“I can see now how the word “lady” can be very annoying, hurtful and even destructive in many, many cases. Sorry. I shouldn’t have made such a big case for myself. (Nothing ruffles me – except just about everything.)”

• @OP – Does anyone want to tell the state’s top attorney that he doesn’t understand the law he’s sworn to uphold?

But fundamentalists don’t “do” understanding!

They do assertions from indoctrinated pre-conceptions!

• It seems various Republicans and Trump appointees, don’t understand or care about government or legal procedures!

US Health Secretary Tom Price has resigned over the use of expensive private planes for official business.

He previously apologised after making 26 private flights since May at a cost of $400,000 (£300,000) to taxpayers.

Government officials, except those dealing with national security matters, are required to take commercial flights for work related travel.

Three other members of President Donald Trump’s cabinet are under scrutiny for using private planes while working.