Dec 19, 2017

By Kyla Jenee Lacey

Ever since I can remember, two constants have been in my life:

1. My mother was never religious.
  2. She went all out for Christmas.

Each year she attacked the holidays with an ever increasing fervor. She has lived in the same mostly white neighborhood for 23 years, where all the homes are as homogeneous and drab as their inhabitants, so it is pretty obvious around Christmastime which one is the “black house” in the neighborhood.

Instead of a Martha Stewart-like wreath, there’s a big, black-ass Santa face displayed on the door that looks as if the Notorious B.I.G. came down from the North Pole where the Junior M.A.F.I.A. makes presents to alert the white people in the subdivision: “The only St. Nick we acknowledge is St. Nicky Barnes.”

Continue reading by clicking the name of the source below.

10 comments on “Growing Up Without the ‘Christ’ in Christmas: What It’s Like Being Raised by a Christmas-Loving Atheist

• The story that atheists don’t like mid-winter parties and celebrations, is a myth put about by the “War-on-Xmas” martyrs brigade!

Only last night I was out in a bar playing Xmas party and pop-songs with a band – with the audience joining in!

• All that remains to be said to all the contributors to the site is: Have a great Christmas.

I might even go to the carol service in the cathedral, lovely old rough stone, pre-Norman building.

We lit the Christmas tree in our village last week, and I enjoyed a few pints with the priest, who is amongst other things an accomplished folk singer and guitarist, and a brilliant conversationalist, who shares my negative views of modern Church music. Johann Sebastian for ever!

PS slow down on the drink and grub. None of us is getting any younger. Love, Joy and Hope.

• Cheers and Merry Christmas, eejit.

This is my christmas music..

A Tapestry Of Early Christmas Carols And Festive Music From St Georges Canzona. Post-Dickens twee kicked into touch, and from a simpler age with simpler minds. Sweet, innocent, haunting carols, crossed with bawdy wassailing.

Then the best bit about family, not so tiny Tim. And though this is recent and my younglings are technically grown, this is nostalgia for younger days.

• I don’t think the word ‘atheist’ was ever used in my family, though neither of my parents were overtly religious. My father definitely not, my mother perhaps still harboured some of the religious belief instilled in her in her childhood. But she didn’t go to church or engage in any other kind of religious activity. They sent me to Sunday School, though I strongly suspect that their wanting a child-free hour on a Sunday morning was for reasons not remotely connected with religion.

We did Christmas, though – though we didn’t go mad (couldn’t afford to, even if we’d wanted to). But we had a real tree, which we had fun decorating, sent and received cards, and pushed the boat out a bit in terms of food and drink (it was literally the only time of the year when my parents bought any alcohol whatsoever – 2 bottles of white wine or, if they were feeling sophisticated, perhaps rosé …)

This “war on Christmas” nonsense is profoundly irritating. In the UK, at least, it’s been a predominantly secular affair for as long as I can remember, even among people who aren’t overtly hostile to religion. Christmas for friends from more religious homes than mine might (or might not) have included Midnight Mass or a Christmas morning church service, but that’s where any differences ended.

Christmas is whatever people want it to be. Religious, secular, whatever. To my mind the least Christian trait of all is mass commercialism, yet so far as I can see, religious people fall into that particular trap every bit as much as anyone else.

• Marco.

Christmas is whatever people want it to be.

Entirely so. I went to a superb Richard Dawson concert last night at Islington Assembly Hall . I’ve never seen such a mixed audience. Songs about the terrors, joys, sweetness and sorrows of human existence. (A soldier in a 600CE fort the night before battle, determines to return after it and marry his love.) Medieval heavy metal with a beating heart. The dark brutish nights and the hope for brighter days. This is now part of Christmas for me.

• Marco #5
    Dec 20, 2017 at 7:55 am

Christmas is whatever people want it to be.
    Religious, secular, whatever.

Unless of course your country of residence, allows kill-joy theocrats to make and enforce laws imposing their bigotry on others!

Iran’s moral police have arrested 230 people at two winter solstice celebration parties in Tehran.

The shortest day of the year is traditionally celebrated in Iran, where it is known as Yalda.

Col Zulfikar Barfar, head of Tehran’s moral-security force, said the partygoers had been drinking and dancing at the mixed parties.

Drinking alcohol can be punishable by 80 lashes, although in recent years perpetrators are often fined instead.

Morality police are known in Persian as Ershad, meaning guidance.
    They also ensure women adhere to Islamic dress code.

Police said 140 of the people were arrested in a garden in the Lavasan area, while the other 90 were attending a celebration in the northern district of Fermaniyeh,

Two singers who were performing at the events were among those detained, and some alcoholic drinks and drugs were confiscated.

Col Barfar said images from the parties had been shared on Instagram.

• Marco #5
    Dec 20, 2017 at 7:55 am

This “war on Christmas” nonsense is profoundly irritating.

Were there no kill-joy Jehovah’s witnesses in the neighbourhood?
    They opt their kids out of Christmas parties and other celebrations!

Other common celebrations and religious or national holidays such as birthdays, Halloween, Easter and Christmas[143] are not celebrated because they believe that these continue to involve “false religious beliefs or activities.”[144][145]
    Watch Tower Society publications rule out the celebration of Mother’s Day because of a claimed link with pagan gods[146] and concerns that giving “special honor and worship” to mothers is a form of “creature worship” that could turn people away from God.[147]
    The Society also directs Witnesses to shun May Day, New Year’s Day and Valentine’s Day celebrations because of their pagan origins.

Of course the REAL war on Christmas was conducted by the Christian Puritans – who when in power in England BANNED Christmas for several years! (before THEY took on the role of martyrs and fled the “heretical resistance” to their repression, so “Pilgrim fathers”, then took their Puritanism to America!)

Still! If the thinking wasn’t backwards, it would not be “truly religious”! 🙂