"White House Press Briefing" by The White House / Public Domain

Jul 17, 2020

By Michael Stone

Deplorable: Determined to send kids back to school no matter the danger, White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany argues that “science should not stand in the way” of sending kids back to school, later claiming that “the science is on our side here.”

The Week reports:

White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany suggested Thursday that schools look past science when deciding to reopen this fall.

President Trump, McEnany said in a press conference, is all for making sure schools are “open and full” this fall, with “kids being able to attend each and every day at their school.” “The science should not stand in the way of this,” McEnany continued, adding that it is “perfectly safe” to fully reopen classes and “science is on our side” in doing so.

Continue reading by clicking the name of the source below.

6 comments on “White House: ‘Science Should Not Stand In The Way’ Of Sending Kids Back To School

• science is on our side

You’d think that they’d be satisfied just with God being on their side.  I’m quite happy for them to charactarise God as an egotistical, narcissistic, violent, cruel bastard, but I always thought that science was an inanimate, abstract noun, referring to a collection of ideas, observations and theories, underpinned and tested by logic, and I resent their attempt to co-opt it as some sort of animate, or at least occult being, with its own volitions.

• My goodness – where did this absolute moron come from? Does she not know that her country is reporting 75,000 new infections a day?

And no doubt this press secretary is someone who knows absolutely nothing about science.

• @Centauri

My goodness – where did this absolute moron come from?

If she was conveying a message contrary to her boss’ wishes, she would no longer be employed. Hence, the real culprit of this profoundly stupid and irresponsible statement is found higher up.

IOW, that idiot is just the (willing) messenger.

• @Vicki

I always take a moment to think that that despite the amount of disgust I feel when these clowns make their horrifically ignorant statements – and I live outside the US –  I can’t imagine how rational Americans like yourself must feel.

Last June, an American friend of mine visited from California. He described in detail just how utterly embarrassed he was that Trump was elected. His family had considered moving to Canada.

There’s never been a greater need for a change of government in the history of US politics.

• @Centauri

I hear that occasionally. The way I see it, I don’t want to leave my country just when it seems to need me the most.

• There are many people other than those in the White House that want the kids back in school.  Long-suffering parents are most of them.

Local school systems are wavering about requiring masks in the schools.  There is not consistency of opinion.  They had a recent school board hearing in Colorado to discuss the safety of the children and precautions for opening school and an anti-mask crowd packed the room with almost all of them not wearing masks.  They don’t want their children wearing masks in school and they were there not to listen but to yell at the school board.  The meeting was canceled and the crowd booed.

I believe schools are going to re-open with no masks anyways and many will close later after many children become infected.  That has been the pattern of this virus.  Wherever crowds gather the virus is lurking among them.  And one person can quickly infect a room of 50 people.  There was a case in a large Korean church where one person infected nearly the entire congregation.  Then there is the knowledge that this virus can be distributed by ventilation systems and remain viable in the air for hours.   Packing schools full of kids in the middle of a pandemic with the most contagious virus we’re ever encountered?  It’s likely going to be a catastrophe.  Home schooling has never looked better.