Avi Goldstein


  • Avi Goldstein posted a new activity comment 3 years, 2 months ago

    I should note that I simply can’t respond to every comment, I do have prayer, study, work and other things like guitar playing to do! But I do try to read most of the comments.
    Some are just so silly, such as the one that states that the eye evolved at least seven different ways. A fundament of science is that things must be observable and/or…[Read more]

  • Avi Goldstein posted a new activity comment 3 years, 2 months ago

    Olgun said:
    Did the Torah mention these less advanced humans and if not why not?
    And why less advanced humans in the first place. Was he having trouble with the design?

    The Torah is not a history or science book, Olgun. It teaches the Why of Creation, not the How.

  • Avi Goldstein posted a new activity comment 3 years, 2 months ago

    And now that you, ahem, have “explained” how the eye evolved, why did two eyes evolve? There is absolutely no reason for two; one suffices. Sure, you can’t see depth, but didn’t creatures live for eons without this added functionality?
    And if indeed two eyes were a “survival” advantage, how did they manage to develop so that they are symmetrical,…[Read more]

  • Avi Goldstein posted a new activity comment 3 years, 2 months ago

    Alan, if indeed eyes “evolved” as you say, we can only marvel at God’s wondrous ways. But without Him, it did not happen.

  • Avi Goldstein posted a new activity comment 3 years, 2 months ago

    Alan, regarding your question about Ignosticism, I do not believe that God’s existence is something that has to be proved. In my Philosophy of Religion college class, I argued strongly against Anselm’s Ontological Argument for God’s existence, because I believed the proof to be flawed (I still do, 40 years later.) Belief in God is belief, and…[Read more]

  • Avi Goldstein posted a new activity comment 3 years, 2 months ago

    Laurie said, in response to my comment about humans perfecting God’s world:
    It sounds like God has provided us with an amazing utopia but then, why are we struggling every day with cancer, Ebola, Huntington’s disease, starvation, and a thousand other gruesome and painful deadly conditions here in our perfect world?

    Laurie, I did not say t…[Read more]

  • Avi Goldstein posted a new activity comment 3 years, 2 months ago

    Phil wrote:
    What if children brought you cherries occasionally because they just simply loved you? That time when you were sad or looked lost or felt hopeless. What if our interactions were more like gifts? What if we could do better than tradition?

    Agreed, Phil, there is no contradiction! Judaism does believe that alongside the stated…[Read more]

  • Avi Goldstein posted a new activity comment 3 years, 2 months ago

    Getting close to Shabbat, that ancient, time-worn ritual of doing no creative activities for 25 hours (boy, are we dumb!), but I did take a quick look and I thank those who have responded.
    I will meanwhile address Phil’s comment. Phil, very interesting, because from a Jewish perspective, as you probably know, the exact opposite is true! While of…[Read more]

  • Avi Goldstein posted a new activity comment 3 years, 2 months ago

    Folks, I came to the realization that it is not always helpful when one presents drastic examples, such as murder, to assess morality. Of course, most of us do feel that wanton murder is wrong. I would argue that even atheists feel this way because God implanted a sense of morality within us; you would disagree. Fine.

    I want to try a…[Read more]

  • Avi Goldstein posted a new activity comment 3 years, 2 months ago

    Steven said:
    If you have a car, it’s not a faith built car. A cascade of scientific discoveries and inventions culminated in this modern mode of transportation. Ditto your PC/phone which began largely with Alan (not our Alan) Turing who of course built upon the ideas of many other giants in the field.

    True, Steven, people built and c…[Read more]

  • Avi Goldstein posted a new activity comment 3 years, 2 months ago

    Arkrid Sandwich #122
    Ask any atheist what it would take to make him change his mind about the existence of god and he’ll say just show me some incontrovertible evidence. I would suggest something nice and easy for an omnipotent god like moving mount Everest to the sahara desert and leaving a glowing message in the sky saying “Hi folks, god…

    [Read more]

  • Avi Goldstein posted a new activity comment 3 years, 2 months ago

    Dan wrote:

    Religion is based on faith, not reason. (That is why people like Avi get under my skin; they are sure of something that one can not possibly be sure of.

    Dan, I can say the same about you; you are so certain about your beliefs that you cannot imagine anything else being correct.
    And on that subject, you put enormous “faith” in the…[Read more]

  • Avi Goldstein posted a new activity comment 3 years, 2 months ago

    Also, I have not written about evolution, your sacred touchstone, and the truth is I have no problem accepting a God-guided evolution (Jews are not fundamentalists and we don’t necessarily read all parts of the Torah literally). But since we are talking about science, can someone please explain how and why we would develop two eyes?
    and while…[Read more]

  • Avi Goldstein posted a new activity comment 3 years, 2 months ago

    Thinking about God all the time is a wasted life. You are thinking about nothing.

    (Thanks, Laurie, it worked; reminds me of my days in publishing when I would do a bit of coding.)

    Ideally, one indeed should keep God in mind all the time; this is the essence of life! When we don’t put God at the forefront, that is when things start to go…[Read more]

  • Avi Goldstein posted a new activity comment 3 years, 2 months ago

    Alan, you wrote:
    “Those who talk about “unborn babies”, usually don’t know the biology of zygotes, blastocysts, embryos and foetuses. Science based decisions on abortions are determined by survivability without debilitating complications affecting the baby or the mother, and the later potential life quality of the infant.”

    Actually, not far off f…[Read more]

  • Avi Goldstein posted a new activity comment 3 years, 2 months ago

    Alan, you wrote (sorry I don’t know how to get this into orange type, as you guys are doing):
    “Theists pretend theirs come from their gods, and that the inadequacies or negative effects in these, are “the divine will”, nothing to do with them!”

    Not true, at least for Judaism. We believe that while God guides many things, we have the free will to…[Read more]

  • Avi Goldstein posted a new activity comment 3 years, 2 months ago

    Alan, you quoted your god as saying: “Morality is not devised by atheist but by millions of years of evolution.”
    That’s pretty shallow; you cant do better?

  • Avi Goldstein posted a new activity comment 3 years, 2 months ago

    To clarify further:
    I am not saying that there CANNOT be a system of morality devised by atheists. I am saying that as of yet, I have not heard a cogent rationale for it. I am open to suggestions!

  • Avi Goldstein posted a new activity comment 3 years, 2 months ago

    Alan, you wrote:
    “The values are chosen by the people of the community.”

    So let’s say the community, through its legislators decides it should be legal to kill Jews, or Cambodians, or Ethiopians, or Armenians (or unborn babies, although that is a complicated matter). Would that be okay with you?
    I think we are centering on the problem!

  • Alan, you wrote: “A secular humanist view, is that societies need to establish laws and manage their own moral codes of conduct, based on equality of rights, mutual co-operation, and altruism. with individuals […]

  • Load More