Teacher Institute for Evolutionary Science (TIES)
Learn about TIES
TIES Workshop Walk-Through
EVOLUTION FOR EDUCATORS: A TIES WORKSHOP
By clicking the buttons below, you can watch students working through two hands-on activities on the topic of natural selection. Both activities can be downloaded below under the “Ready-to-Go Evolution Unit” tab.
Online Resources for Teachers
Guided Reading of Evolution 101 (DOC)
Online Educational Videos on Evolution and Science
Understanding Evolution, University of California, Berkeley
NSTA Featured Lessons: Teaching Heredity and Evolution in the Next Generation
NSTA Learning Center
NGSS Life Science: Evolution and Natural Selection Lesson Plans
Stated Clearly [Videos] (The basics of Genetics and Evolution)
For Spanish Speakers
NGSS Middle School Standards Related to Evolutionary Science
Addressing your Concerns as Science Teachers
No Evolution Standards at your grade level? Integrate them!
Join our TIES Teacher Corps
Share Your Best Practices
Send your lessons and labs to Bertha Vazquez by clicking the button below and we will post them up on our site in the section at the bottom of the page.
Our fellow teachers are often our best resources.
Where we've been
Human Errors: A Panorama of Our Glitches, from Pointless Bones to Broken Genes
Wednesday, October 3rd, 2018
8:00 pm – 9:00 pm EDT
Registration is free.
Meet the Director: Bertha Vazquez
In-Person Workshop Schedule
Join us for a live, in-person workshop!
To register for a workshop, email Bertha Vazquez.
- February 10, 2018: Celebrating Darwin Day with the Museum of Science and Industry, Tampa, Fl, presented by Kenny Coogan
- February 10, 2018: “2018: A Science Odyssey” at the Annual Science Conference in Southern Nevada, Las Vegas, NV, presented by Heather Witt and Jennifer Panczyszyn
- February 16, 2018: The 47th Annual HASTI Conference, Science: Keeping it ReAL, Indianapolis, Indiana, presented by Jenna Sutton
- February 26, 2018: School District PD, William Penn Middle School, Yardley, PA, presented by Robert Cooper
- February 28, 2018: District-Wide Professional Development Day, Githens Middle School, Durham, NC, presented by Kathryn Green
- March 2, 2018: Michigan Science Teachers Association Annual Conference, Lancing, MI, presented by Rebecca Brewer
- March 16, 2018: National Science Teachers Association National Conference, Science on My Mind, Atlanta, GA, presented by Kathryn Green Atlanta
- March 17, 2018: NSTA Share-a-Thon, NSTA National Conference, Atlanta GA, presented by Jaime Kupfner
- April 7, 2018: New Hampshire Science Teachers Spring Conference, Pinkerton Academy, Derry, NH, presented by Bonnie Nieves
- April 11, 2018: Evolution for Future Educators, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, presented by Katie Green
- April 12, 2018: Science Educators of Catholic Middle Schools, Potomac, MD, presented by Jenna Sutton with guest speaker evolutionary biologist Dr. Karen Carleton
- June 2, 2018: Oklahoma Science Teacher Conference: 3D Science, University of Central Oklahoma, Edmund, OK, presented by Sephali Ray
- June 5, 2018: Southwest Georgia RESA Science Conference (Sponsored by the Southwest Georgia Regional Educational Service Agency), Camille, GA, presented by Patti Howell
- July 19, 2018: S.E.T. S.A.I.L. 2018 A+PEL Summer Conference, Baton Rouge, LA, presented by Blake Touchet
- August 7, 2018: Rowan University, Glassboro, NJ, presented by Robert Cooper
- August 17, 2018: CollegeNow Professional Development Day, Tompkins Cortland Community College, Dreyden, NY, Presented by Michele Whitecraft
- September 20, 2018: 2018 NATS/NATM Fall Conference, Younes Event Center, Kearney, NE, presented by Jenna Sutton
- September 30, 2018: Pennsylvania Science Teachers Association Annual Conference, State College, PA, presented by Robert Cooper
- October 5, 2018: The 2018 Idaho Science and Math Teachers Conference, 2 sessions, Nampa, ID, presented by Jaime Kupfner
- October 8, 2018: Cultivating Science Literacy in 3D, Iowa Academy of Science, DMACC Ankeny Campus, Ankeny, Iowa, presented by Patti Howell
- October 11, 2018: 2018 NSTA Area Conference on Science Education, Reno-Sparks Convention Center, Reno, NV, presented by Heather Witt
- October 12, 2018: 2018 NSTA Area Conference on Science Education, Reno-Sparks Convention Center, Reno, NV, presented by Jennifer Panczyszyn
- October 15, 2018: New Hampshire Science Teachers Fall Conference, Church Landing, Meredith, NH, presented by Stephanie Keep
- October 19, 2018: Illinois Science Teachers Conference, Tinley Park Convention Center, Tinley Park, IL, presented by Kathy Von Hoeck
- October 19, 2018: 3D: Shifting the Paradigm in the PNW, Sheraton Bellingham Hotel and Conference Center, Bellingham, WA, presented by Cheryl Hollinger
- October 22, 2018: Full STEAM Ahead! Louisiana Science Teacher’s Association Annual Conference, Shreveport Convention Center, Shreveport, LA, presented by Blake Touchet
- October 23, 2018: New Jersey Science Conference, Princeton Marriot at Forrestal, Princeton, NJ, presented by Robert Cooper
- October 26, 2018: TIES at the Zoo! Full-day professional development, 8 am-3 pm. Birmingham Zoo, Birmingham, AL, presented by zoo educator Kathy Fournier and TIES Director Bertha Vazquez, with guest speaker Dr. Jason Heaton, paleontologist and professor at Birmingham Southern College
- October 26, 2018: The Heat is on! Full Steam Ahead! Florida Association of Science Teachers, Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Miami Airport and Convention Center, Miami, Fl, presented by Dora Pilz
- November 2, 2018: Building Toward Phenomenal Science Instruction for All! The Falls Event Center, Gilbert, Arizona, presented by Sephali Ray
- November 3, 2018: Sponsored by Oasis of Houston, Baker-Ripley Neighborhood Center, Houston, TX, presented by Bertha Vazquez
- November 5, 2018: Science Teachers of New York State Annual Conference, Riverside Conference Center, Rochester, NY, presented by Victoria Klahn
- November 5, 2018: The Alabama Science Teachers conference, Tuscaloosa, AL, presented by Patti Howell
- November 10. 2018: Connecticut Science Teachers Association Annual Conference, Heritage Hotel & Conference Center, Southbury, CT, presented by Victoria Klahn
- November 9, 2018: Tell Us About TIES, National Association of Biology Teachers Annual Conference, San Diego, CA, presented by Cheryl Hollinger.
- November 9, 2018: KSTA-Where Learning Drives Instruction, Lexington Convention Center, Lexington, KY, presented by Jaime Kupfner
- November 16, 2018: VAST Professional Development Institute, Williamsburg, VA, presented by Therese Whitehurst
- November 16, 2018: NSTA Regional Conference, The Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center, National Harbor, MD, presented by Robert Cooper
- November 16, 2018: NSTA Regional Conference, The Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center, National Harbor, MD, presented by Christopher Moran
- November 29. 2018: NSTA Regional Conference, Charlotte Convention Center, Charlotte, NC, presented by Amanda Clapp
- December 1, 2018: California Science Education Conference, Pasadena, CA, presented by Jennifer Panczyszyn.
Our face-to-face professional development workshops & webinars for middle school science teachers are being offered across the United States by members of our TIES Teacher Corps. For more information about organizing a TIES workshop or webinar near you, please contact TIES director Bertha Vazquez.
Please check back regularly for our updated webinar offerings and soon-to-be added interactive learning modules.