What is the TIES Online Learning Resource?
TIES provides busy educators, homeschooling parents, and curious science lovers in general with an easily accessible online version of our professional development events and other helpful resources.
TIES Workshop Walk-Through
EVOLUTION FOR EDUCATORS: A TIES WORKSHOP
By clicking the buttons below, you can watch students working through two hands-on activities on the topic of natural selection. Both activities can be downloaded below under the “Ready-to-Go Evolution Unit” tab.
TIES Workshop Map
Click the map to see past & scheduled TIES workshops.
Don’t see a workshop near you?
You Can Change Lives!
Are you an educator, scientist or homeschool parent?
Want to present a TIES Workshop or Webinar?
Have Resources? Share Them!
Great minds think alike but we’re not perfect.
Sharing resources is great way to get involved and make an impact on the lives of middle school students around the globe.
Online Resources for Teachers
Guided Reading of Evolution 101 (DOC)
Online Educational Videos on Evolution and Science
Understanding Evolution, University of California, Berkeley
NSTA Featured Lessons: Teaching Heredity and Evolution in the Next Generation
NSTA Learning Center
NGSS Life Science: Evolution and Natural Selection Lesson Plans
Stated Clearly [Videos] (The basics of Genetics and Evolution)
For Spanish Speakers
NGSS Middle School Standards Related to Evolutionary Science
Addressing your Concerns as Science Teachers
No Evolution Standards at your grade level? Integrate them!
Join us for our monthly webinar series.
Registration instructions coming soon.
In-Person Workshop Schedule
Join us for a live, in-person workshop!
To register for a workshop, email Bertha Vazquez.
February 4, 2017: Georgia Science Teachers Association Annual Conference, Stone Mountain, GA, presented by Bertha Vazquez and Victoria Klahn
- February 11, 2017: TIES Darwin Day (one day early) Celebration Workshop in collaboration with the Hillsborough County School District and the Tampa Museum of Science and Industry, Tampa, Fl, presented by Bertha Vazquez and Kenny Coogan
- February 22, 2017: International Association of Avian Trainers and Educators, Atlanta, GA presented by Kenny Coogan
- March 1, 2017: Glynn Middle School, Brunswick, GA presented by Victoria Klahn
- March 8, 2017: Jane Macon Middle School, Brunswick, GA presented by Victoria Klahn
- March 8, 2017: Risley Middle School, Brunswick, GA presented by Victoria Klahn
- March 8, 2017: Needwood Middle School, Brunswick, GA presented by Victoria Klahn
- March 16, 2017: Evolution for Educators, West Miami Middle School, Miami, Fl, presented by Bertha Vazquez
- March 17, 2017: Wisconsin Society of Science Teachers Conference, Oconomowoc, WI, presented by Kathy VanHoeck
- March 24, 2017: Michigan Science Teachers Association Annual Conference, Novi MI, presented by Rebecca Brewer
- March 24, 2017: North Dakota’s Science Teachers Conference, Minot, North Dakota, presented by Scott Johnson
- March 25, 2017: Rhode Island Science Teachers Association Annual Conference, East Greenwich, Rhode Island, presented by David Upegui
- March 30, 2017: National Association of Science Teachers Annual Conference, Los Angeles, California, presented by Nicoline Chambers
- March 30, 2017: Friday Institute, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, presented by Kathryn Green
- April 15, 2017: Evolution for Educators, Hannah Kistner, Education Associate, Santa Barbara Zoo, Santa Barbara, CA
- April 19, 2017: Evolution for Educators, by Melanie Fernandes, Curator of Education and Corey Shumaker, Program Coordinator, Capron Park Zoo, Attleboro, Massachusetts
- April 22, 2017: Kansas Association of Science Teachers Annual Conference (KATA Kamp), Wichita, Kansas, presented by Kathleen Warnock
- June 5, 2017: Torrance Unified School District’s 8th Grade Science Teachers Workshop, Torrance CA, 8:30 to 11:30 a.m., presented by Nicoline Chambers
- July 19, 2017, 9 AM-3 PM: Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium, Omaha, NE, presented by Emily Brown, Education Program Manager
- August 9, 2017: Back-To-School Conference, Palm Beach County Schools, West Palm Beach, Fl, presented by Bertha Vazquez
- August 19, 2017: presented by Larson Ankeny, Education Specialist, STEM Programs Coordinator, The Living Desert Zoo and Gardens, CA.
- September 8, 2017: Nebraska Academy of Sciences/Nebraska Association of Teachers of Science Fall Conference, Younes Conference Center, Kearney, NE, presented by Alan Wasmoen
- September 16, 2017, 9 AM-4 PM: Greensboro Science Center, Greensboro, NC, presented by Alison F. Manka, and Melanie J. Lee-Brown, Ph.D. Professor of Biology Guilford College
- October 5, 2017: CREW (Regional Professional Development for teachers in Western NC) Cherokee Central Schools, Cherokee, North Carolina, presented by Amanda Clapp
- October 14, 2017: California Science Teachers Association Annual Conference, Sacramento, CA, presented by Nicoline Chambers
- October 14, 2017: Practice-able Science, Science Teachers of Missouri Professional Development Institute, Columbia, MO, presented by Jessica Platto
October 17, 2017: Math and Science Teachers’ Conference, Caspar College, Laramie, WY, presented by Cheryl Hollinger
- October 19, 2017: North Carolina State Science Teacher’s Conference, Greensboro, NC, presented by Amanda Clapp
October 20, 2017: Florida Association of Science Teachers Annual Conference, presented by Bertha Vazquez
October 24, 2017: New Jersey Science Convention, Princeton, NJ, presented by Robert Cooper
- October 27, 2017: Soar to Greater Heights STEM Educator Conference sponsored by the New Mexico Science Teachers Association, Las Cruces, New Mexico, presented by Inez Jacobs
- October 27, 2017: K-12 STEM Conference sponsored by the MDCPS Department of Science and the Dade County Science Teachers’ Association (DCSTA), Miami Senior High School, Miami, Fl, presented by Dora Pilz
- October 27-28, 2017: Two-Day Event- STEM Center, Valdosta State University, Valdosta, GA, presented by Bertha Vazquez and Dr. Leslie Jones
- October 28, 2017: Illinois Science Teachers Association’s Annual Conference, Northern Illinois University, Dekalb IL, presented by Kathy von Hoeck
- October 30, 2017: Mississippi Science Teachers Association Annual Conference, Biloxi, MS, presented by Blake Touchet
November 3, 2017: West Virginia Science Teacher’s Association Conference, Wheeling, WV, presented by Jaime Kupfner
- November 3, 2017: West Virginia Science Teachers’ Association Conference, Wheeling, WV, presented by Jennifer McLanahan (this is the complimentary session to Jaime Kupfner’s)
- November 4, 2017: Santa Barbara Zoo, Santa Barbara, CA, presented by Hannah Kistner, Education Associate
- November 9, 2017: Bay School District Professional Development Day, Panama City, Fl, presented by Nancy Dow
- November 10, 2017: 40th Annual SC Science Council Conference, Columbia, SC, presented by Victoria Klahn
- November 10, 2017: Conference for the Advancement of Science Teaching, at the George R. Brown Convention Center Houston, Texas, two sessions presented by Gemma Mora-Azuar
- November 18, 2017: Virginia Association of Science Teachers Conference, Roanoke, VA, presented by Christopher Moran
- November 30 and December 1, 2017: Pennsylvania Science Teachers Association Annual Conference, State College, PA, two sessions presented by Robert Cooper
- December 2, 2017: National Science Teachers Association Regional Conference, New Orleans, LA, presented by Blake Touchet
- March 5, 2018: National Science Teachers Association National Conference, Science on My Mind, Atlanta, GA, presented by Kathryn Green Atlanta
Our face-to-face professional development workshops & webinars for middle school science teachers are being offered across the United States by members of our TIES Teacher Corps. For more information about organizing a TIES workshop or webinar near you, please contact TIES director Bertha Vazquez.
Please check back regularly for our updated webinar offerings and soon-to-be added interactive learning modules.